Ubisoft Says It's Not Giving Up on "Always-On" DRM

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Irridium said:
I just cannot understand the logic behind this always-online DRM.

Do they expect legit copies to magically turn into pirated copies while they're being played? What about people who buy the games without a decent connection?

This system is shafting paying customers, while pirates don't have to deal with any of this. So how was it supposed to work again?
Pirates have to wait an extra month while the crackers try to sort out the twisted mess.

(Not worth it!)
SKIDROW pretty much perfected their method of cracking it and can do it within minutes of the autentication server going online for a small fraction of legit users(usually a week after release).

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Damage has already been done, imo. Never buying a UbiSoft game again.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
BlindChance said:
Don't forget that with every game Ubisoft releases with this scheme, it will take less and less time for the crackers to crack it, to the point where the time devoted to cracking the scheme is trivial.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Irridium said:

Do they expect legit copies to magically turn into pirated copies while they're being played? What about people who buy the games without a decent connection?

This system is shafting paying customers, while pirates don't have to deal with any of this. So how was it supposed to work again?
Pirates have to wait an extra month while the crackers try to sort out the twisted mess.

(Not worth it!)
Since AC2 got cracked, it's probably closer to two days than a month.

Straying Bullet said:
Consoles ftw. Can't say anything more. This idiotic DRM shouldn't be legal.
I do believe it's present and correct on consoles. In fact, I do believe Xbox Indie Games used exactly this type of crap way before Ubisoft did. There's also at least one PSN game with an online-required DRM, too.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Despite the "stay the course" attitude, it seems more than a little likely that Ubisoft isn't ready to throw in the towel mainly because it doesn't want to admit how badly it misjudged the response to its copy protection plans.
Thats how it sounds like to me :p

Doesn't matter anyways i don't ever plan on buying a PC Ubisoft game again anyways. Good job shooing off your knowledgeable customers.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
RejjeN said:
Totally called it, they just stopped using it for their older games to make way for new ones so they wouldn't need to increase their server capacities -_-
Bingo.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
BlindChance said:
and why it may just have increased sales.
I can only assume you're not being serious there. Sales of the PC version of AC2 tanked, and the direct cause was the DRM.
I'm another proud member of the "Never buying Ubisoft games again, ever" club.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
The only reason I bought AC2 and Conviction in the first place was that they only cost 5 ? for AC2 and 20 ? for a special edition of Conviction. Worth noting is that the copies of AC2 lay in basket with what it looked at least 50 copies. No one touched them and even AC1 were more expensive.

I hate to see the day, but I probably have to shun the next product from Massive Entertainment just because their publishers are such enormous dicks. How fucked up aren't that?

Nahhnbah

Nov 4, 2010
I don't have internet on my gaming computer. Why? Online mutliplayer isn't something I'm interested in and I shouldn't HAVE TO HAVE INTERNET to play SINGLE PLAYER.

Ditch DRM entirely for singleplayer games, its fucking stupid.

Azdron

Nov 21, 2010
Any DRM System where pirates are better off than paying customers is counter intuitive. A pirated copy needs no online connection and because its a single player game there is no reason not to copy it, you can also run it off your hard drive with a no cd patch and make as many copies as you want. And if you can spare the bandwidth you can have it for free.

Paying customers? well who knows what new restriction they will patch in? unless your servers go offline. In which case they (and they alone) are screwed. I mean never mind people who get it for free, your PAYING customers will pirate the game now. This is a DRM system that INTRODUCES loyal fans to the world of piracy and FORCES them to master it. I postulate that this hasn't just lost them buyers but CONVERTED the faithful to pirates, and that's a loss to everyone. Cept us pirates, we win. But what the hell does that mean anyway? Isint piracy supposed to be a symptom?(like all crime)

In the end ubisoft aren't just killing it for themselves, they're killing everything for everybody. Pirates don't make games and don't pay the people who do. If everyone who has the brains to prate is forced to by shit like this, the only games that anyone will buy (and thus fund) will be stupid games for stupid people. And that will be the end of it all, Puzzle bobble and bejeweled 14 will be all anyone knows and things like mass effect and halo and modern warfare and warcraft three and EVERYTHING, all of it! final fantasy, Alan wake and everything else you ever loved, you ever cared about. All of it will be pillaged and burn, remembered solely as games golden age before the crash. You'll be scouring amazon for 4th hand copies of games you've played a thousand times before. An ever diminishing supply.

Piracy Must be fought, Pirates must lose, we must be banished to the dark fringes of society and civilization, we must be kept at bay by a force greater than ourselves. we must be scattered and live outcast. For the rule of pirates is no rule at all, Greed sows no seed and reaps no harvest. And this? This is not an answer.

Pirates, Or more astutely scavengers and archivers who are by law called pirates. Who make their homes in the abandoned places and loot the treasures of the long forgotten, they have a place, but it is not at the forefront, not like this.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Azdron said:
In the end ubisoft aren't just killing it for themselves, they're killing everything for everybody. Pirates don't make games and don't pay the people who do. If everyone who has the brains to prate is forced to by shit like this, the only games that anyone will buy (and thus fund) will be stupid games for stupid people. And that will be the end of it all, Puzzle bobble and bejeweled 14 will be all anyone knows and things like mass effect and halo and modern warfare and warcraft three and EVERYTHING, all of it! final fantasy, Alan wake and everything else you ever loved, you ever cared about. All of it will be pillaged and burn, remembered solely as games golden age before the crash. You'll be scouring amazon for 4th hand copies of games you've played a thousand times before. An ever diminishing supply.
In my opinion, shovelware prompted by the adoption of motion controls are far, far more likely to cause market failure than piracy. Lose the confidence of the paying customer, lose their money.

And even then, no-one's going to stop the bedroom coders. And Rule 62 ("It has been cracked and pirated") sums up my opinion that "defeating" piracy is impossible. Even banning the internet wholesale can't stop piracy.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
I guess expecting the Ubidiots to drop their shitty DRM was too much.

Oh, well. Here was I thinking about buying AC2 if they also dropped the initial check. No more. They certainly don't want my money.

Azdron

Nov 21, 2010
Bedroom coders don't make triple A games, Mincraft is wonderful, but its in no way a replacement for mass effect 2. I could be convinced to accept cave story 2 though.

And for the record I meant defeated as in not winning and ruling everything. Pirates belong, and serve a purpose in the murky area between defeated and totally annihilated. Rule 62, Indeed assures us that should we do our very best in this we will only ever banish them back to that area. Theft and piracy are not concepts that can be destroyed.

Also, it is one thing to make a lot of bad games (especially if you encase them all in obvious white packaging so there can be no room for error), it is quite another to make no more good games at all.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
I think the most salient points here are the ones that point out that any form of DRM more sophisticated than a cd key is going to create users of pirated software rather than stop the existing "thieves". I think piracy is a symptom of various problems; games are too expensive (both in production and purchase cost); pc software has no minimum system requirements regulation across the board; most games are created for consoles and ported resulting in, at best poorly optimised, and at worst downright unusable software; Windows hates gamers (yes, it really is sentient).
It may be a radical thought, but I believe that if a parent goes out and spends £300 on PC for their child, they shouldn't have go and buy a console so he or she can play games as well; and that child shouldn't have the need to check the back of every box to see if they can play it or get the console version to play it without crashes.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
DRM is pointless focusing on protecting the MP game from cheating and randomly checking the key/user name/ip for illegitimate activity's.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Azdron said:
Bedroom coders don't make triple A games, Mincraft is wonderful, but its in no way a replacement for mass effect 2. I could be convinced to accept cave story 2 though.

And for the record I meant defeated as in not winning and ruling everything. Pirates belong, and serve a purpose in the murky area between defeated and totally annihilated. Rule 62, Indeed assures us that should we do our very best in this we will only ever banish them back to that area. Theft and piracy are not concepts that can be destroyed.

Also, it is one thing to make a lot of bad games (especially if you encase them all in obvious white packaging so there can be no room for error), it is quite another to make no more good games at all.
ME 2 is no way a good replacement for Balders gate,Duke3D,Halo,Strife or even ME1 for that matter.

Apr 28, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Irridium said:

(Not worth it!)
So all they need to beat this system is patience?
Well thats stupid. Plus, they're games will take less time to crack now since pirates know what they're doing.