Ubisoft Tempts Fate With Rocksmith

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
never even heard of power gig. though i did like guitar hero alot, so i might keep my eye on this

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Aeshi said:
If you have an actual guitar you probably already know how to play it! This game is completely pointless!
Actually it might be a good way to teach new folks guitar.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Hm, pass. Sure I still have my bass, but I don't know if it'll work on the game, and the game itself is not enough motivation for me to start playing again.

Flionk

Nov 5, 2007
Personally, I don't see what this has over Rock Band 3's pro mode. A decent electric guitar would run you about as much as the new Stratocaster they just put out (which in itself is a working guitar, albeit midi). Now, as a person who actually owns a real electric guitar but lacks the initiative to learn how to play it on my own, I still think this wouldn't be worth it. For one, I remember this exact concept being announced a good 4 years ago, under the name "Guitar Rising" - the studio claimed they were having note recognition problems, and nothing's been heard of it since '08. Ubisoft may have more funding to put into such a project than the unknowns handling Guitar Rising, but I have my doubts about the stability and accuracy of their system, whereas with Rock Band 3 I know that it will recognize my fingering accurately because the controller was intentionally designed for that. Then consider that Rock Band 3 has support for other instruments, including other such 'pro' instruments; that it already has, as of today, 118 tracks with pro guitar support; and that their Music Store is an existing back-end for providing new download tracks with a proven history of consistent updates. Honestly, this was a great idea when I first heard it four years ago, but now it's just too little, too late.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Oh Ubisoft... Sexy Wii minigame collection, and now Rocksmith? I see what you're doing here? Just let me know when you finally get around to making that spin off tie-in sequel you're working towards, Cocksmith.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Wait- so this is basically Guitar Hero, but using an actual GUITAR?
Why are people having a problem with this? That's a massive step up, and might actually be good for people who want to learn how to play. That is if it's being designed in the way I imagine it would be.

Replacing coloured buttons with actual chords? That's a major win.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Matt_LRR said:
From the title, I was totally expecting this to be a story about Ubi making a minecraft clone.

-m
First thing that popped into my mid was some kind of bonus Assasins Creed Bro-Hood multiplayer character. With the best name ever.

Shale_Dirk

Mar 23, 2010
Sooooo.

Rock Band 3's Guitar Pro Mode.

Apparently Harmonix needs to do some more publicity.

Jellly

Sep 22, 2010
They couldn't resist could they? I thought they were done with milking the genre but nope...