Ubisoft: "We've Learned From Watch_Dogs' Mistakes"

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
"It's just so complex - seamless multiplayer, connectivity with mobile and tablets, so many things - it was maybe a bit too much for a first iteration."

Well, here's a clue for ya, Guillemot. If said annoyances complicate things, how about NOT shoving them in everything you release? I want quality seams in the multiplayer I'm not going to play. And don't even get me started on that "tablet connectivity" iDrudgery that completists have to wade through to get Piece of Locked Content #41. If and when it works. Gah! As if Uplay wasn't bad enough.

scbunchy

Jun 26, 2009
Lastly, Guillemot says that he wants to invest more time and money into smaller, off-beat titles like Valiant Hearts and Child of Light, which have proven to be very successful for the company without costing millions of dollars and requiring colossal development cycles.[/quoute]

This sounds suspiciously at odds with Ubisoft's attitude 2 years ago. They're sounding a bit Mitt Romney to me, trying to appear to hold every opinion at once.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/ubisoft_will_only_make_games_that_can_be_turned_into_franchises

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Kargathia said:
gigastar said:
Well theyve said what EA hasnt. I will give them that.

Now all they have to do is follow it up.
EA has been singing the "we've learned from our fuck-ups, really!" for quite a while now. MS, Ubisoft, and them could start a chorus by now.
Thats what they looked like to you? All i saw from them was [Marketing Ploy To Earn Customer Trust Back In Time For Holiday Season]. At least we know Ubisoft is already putting whats its learned into practice, dropping the co op MP from AC:S.

Though of course, doesnt mean you should let your guard down for a moment. Im certainly not.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
"we have learned"

Sounds like someone who is scared to get a taste of Steam refunds.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
gigastar said:
Kargathia said:
gigastar said:
Well theyve said what EA hasnt. I will give them that.

Now all they have to do is follow it up.
EA has been singing the "we've learned from our fuck-ups, really!" for quite a while now. MS, Ubisoft, and them could start a chorus by now.
Thats what they looked like to you? All i saw from them was [Marketing Ploy To Earn Customer Trust Back In Time For Holiday Season]. At least we know Ubisoft is already putting whats its learned into practice, dropping the co op MP from AC:S.

Though of course, doesnt mean you should let your guard down for a moment. Im certainly not.
They're singing it, but so far we haven't seen much more than lofty promises and some backpedalling out of any of those three companies.

I actually miss being excited for stuff. While being a jaded pessimist leads to a truly depressing amount of "I told you so" moments, it's really not much fun.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
[sub][sub][sub]Um, I actually liked Watch_Dogs...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Here's hoping this is more than empty words. I do think Ubisoft deserves more benefit of the doubt than the same sort of statement coming from an EA or an Activision; EA in particular clearly wants to change what people think of them, not what they're actually doing.

Ubisoft has made some grand mistakes, no question... But at least they aren't determinedly making the same mistakes over and over, and we've had some really interesting little things like Grow Home to show for their efforts.

The proof (or lack thereof) is probably going to have to come in the form of things like The Division, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and the next installment of Far Cry. Feature-complete, non-bug-ridden games without overselling, bullshots, and gratuitous DLC. C'mon, Ubi. You can do this.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Quit lying, Ubisoft. You've learned nothing. If you want to prove you actually care about people want or providing great experiences, you can start with ditching Uplay.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
They always apologize and always go back to doing the same underhanded bullshit. Don't believe them. Never pre-order.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Would it kill you guys to, instead of immediately entering uber-cynical-edgy-teenager-mode, to maybe have just a bit of quiet hope? It would do wonders for my blood pressure, and Ubisoft was a great publisher not too far back.

...No? Ugh.
I'm a cynic, Lack. This is like listening to my parents. There's alot of promises being thrown around, but I don't think it's a matter of faith on this one. If they DO change, I'll be pleasantly surprised and happy for them. And if they don't relapse, even better.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Yes, Ubisoft, the reason Watch Dogs caught crap was because it was TOO good, TOO innovative. Maybe if you shit the next one up people will respect it.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
So the hat wasn't iconic at all, who would have thought?

I'm sure we can all look forward to "Parkour-ish Game Where You Constantly Climb Things To Unlock A Small Part Of A Map And Everything Is Tied To A Single Action Key Despite Controllers Having 14+ Buttons To Work With Simulator 2016" and it's DLC "Ha-ha You Payed $20 For Multiplayer Maps" and "Please Purchase Our Merchandising, It's The Only Thing That Got Assassin's Creed Running For As Long As It Did"

They really should work on shortening those titles.

Here's a fun game, try to determine how many instances of the word "iconic" you can fit in those quotes while still making it a sentence.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Here's a nice lesson to learn: Throwing in a replica of Aiden Pearce's cap for preorder packs was fine; calling the cap "iconic" was stupid. Mario's cap is "iconic" because Mario is an icon, having starred in dozens upon dozens of well-regarded games; Watch_Dogs was Aiden's first showing.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
First actually show it through your actions. People can SAY whatever they want but actions are what really matter. The followup to Watch Dogs and AC: Unity will prove that, otherwise it's clear they're full of hot air and show that they have no idea how to manage themselves.

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
"It's a real challenge to create those types of games," said Guillemot. "When they come out, especially the first iterations, they are not perfect on everything. We think we launched a good quality game for a first step in a new brand with a new technology. It's just so complex - seamless multiplayer, connectivity with mobile and tablets, so many things - it was maybe a bit too much for a first iteration."
I... I...

"With E3 2015 we said, OK, let's make sure the games are playable, that they're running on the target machines. When we show something, we ask the team, make sure it's playable, make sure gamers can immediately see exactly what it is. That's what we learned from the Watch_Dogs experience - if it can't be played on the target machine, it can be a risk."
What... what THE FUCK. Is.. is this PR? Tell me this isn't PR, they're trolling, right?

Let's make sure the games are playable
The implication there is that wasn't a standard beforehand.. this has taken you almost 3 TO DO?! (Ah, who am I kidding, this is bullshit anyway).

I want to laugh but... but.. BRAND NEW TECHNOLOGY!? "hard to get right on the first iteration"?! I genuinely can't tell if Ubisoft are stupid or malicious at this point, maybe there is some sort of weird bacterial infection that surrounds the Ubisoft offices which causes weird bouts of bi-polarity. "Ubisoft Dementia".

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I liked and enjoyed Watchdogs. Ok, sucky story and character etc. But the hacking aspect is a good one. An i want a Watchdogs 2 to build on it....maybe with a new character. I want to hack cars and heart monitors. I want to hack missiles, tanks and guns. I want to hack electricity and water....well the things that enables those things in the city....so increase pressure to cause pipes to burst etc. Even messing with TVs or a building aircon and heating would be fun. Could hack councils and building works to add things to buildings you can take advantage of later. Hack Post office computer to make smuggling easy. Hack police computers to get info on people.

Yes Watchdogs wasnt that good by the game world it had has so many interesting ideas for a future game.