UK Ad Agency: Mass Effect 3 Advertising "Not Misleading"

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Y'all be pooping your pants for no reason. If there was false advertising regarding the ending, cows will fly and spit fire. You are just throwing a fit because the ending did not cater to your tastes.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Good. The ending was shit and EA/Bioware deserve the hate they get for it, but claiming it was false advertising are just people trying to use the legal system to get legally revenge for being served shit and don't entirely understand the destructive nature such a legal precedent would have on the industry.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
LetalisK said:
and don't entirely understand the destructive nature such a legal precedent would have on the industry.
How could it be destructive? Books and songs have been re-written before, and their industries aren't exactly crumbling.

Snotnarok said:
Go read the story about the guy writing about how nice america is and how he got shot by a random person while he was hitchhiking.
Let's not forget that the United States has almost 10 million square miles of area. It's different to say something that stays true for the whole country.

RaikuFA said:
It might have helped if you told people what you were upset about or what you wanted.
That's exactly the problem. One of the defenses for the ending was "you are sad that you didn't get a happy ending/the ending you wanted".

If we try to say what we wanted for ME3 we get accused of wanting to disrupt their "artistic integrity".

Case in point:

OniaPL said:
You are just throwing a fit because the ending did not cater to your tastes.
LetalisK said:
get legal revenge for something they don't like

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Can't we all just get along? The arguments haven't changed since this whole mess began. There's no point to arguing it since obviously people aren't changing their opinions at this point.

OT: I agree with the ruling, mostly because it's the same view I had. I can easily see why some people wouldn't agree with it however. Oh, and claiming they were bought off is really kind of silly.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
BlindWorg said:
I'll just leave two things right here, too bad the people who filed the complain didnt apparently show these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2 (first question of the interview)

Edit-tastic: I love when Casey claims that ME3 ending will be more complex than ME2's intricate flowchart of who is loyal, tech/biotic expert, leadership, defensive value points and ship upgrades.

As you all know, in reality ME3 only looks how much the EMS score is and unlocks and gives alterations to the final cutscene as the number goes up. Only thing from previous games that affect that if the Collector Base is blown or radiated and that only changes the order on how the endings unlock as the score goes up.

That, if nothing else, is outright lying.
Pretty much anything and everything they say in interviews and show off pre-release is 'subject to change', so that interview does nothing whatsoever for the argument.

May 17, 2010
While I do think the endings are awful, I do tend to agree with this ruling. I think Bioware was really pushing it however, beyond the norm of what I would expect from game advertisement.

BlindWorg

Oct 31, 2009
Snotnarok said:
I can't believe that people are still whining about the ending.
Go read the story about the guy writing about how nice america is and how he got shot by a random person while he was hitchhiking. What kind of control did he have over that.

And the ending really wasn't that bad, it wasn't great but come on. Let's compare it to this

Okay, lets compare.

ME3 ending = AMGIBUOUS STUFF HAPPENS. GILLIGANS PLANET. YOU WIN. BUY OUR STUFF!

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
ElPatron said:
LetalisK said:
and don't entirely understand the destructive nature such a legal precedent would have on the industry.
How could it be destructive? Books and songs have been re-written before, and their industries aren't exactly crumbling.
They also haven't been better for it. It's not the role of government censorship to foster artistic expression, both grand and horrible.

That's exactly the problem. One of the defenses for the ending was "you are sad that you didn't get a happy ending/the ending you wanted".

If we try to say what we wanted for ME3 we get accused of wanting to disrupt their "artistic integrity".

Case in point:

OniaPL said:
LetalisK said:
But that's exactly what is going on. Saying this was false advertising is nothing but a red herring so that their revenge through the legal system looks justified. The game gave you choices at the end and the choices you made did effect the outcome. It was a shitty and half-assed three endings with a binary 4 second optional cutscene at the end, but it was still there. So in the end it does come down to personal taste and how far someone is willing to go to get retribution for having that taste violated.

edit: misquoted, fixed

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Snotnarok said:
Go read the story about the guy writing about how nice america is and how he got shot by a random person while he was hitchhiking. What kind of control did he have over that.

And the ending really wasn't that bad, it wasn't great but come on. Let's compare it to this

...what does a random guy getting shot have to do with this? and to be fair, the ending of megaman was more then that.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
ElPatron said:
LetalisK said:

Snotnarok said:
Go read the story about the guy writing about how nice america is and how he got shot by a random person while he was hitchhiking.
Let's not forget that the United States has almost 10 million square miles of area. It's different to say something that stays true for the whole country.

RaikuFA said:
It might have helped if you told people what you were upset about or what you wanted.

Case in point:

OniaPL said:
LetalisK said:
To me, RME was one of the biggest messes in gaming consumer rights. The most difficult thing was finding out what exactly made you mad about. Take a look at 100,000 Strong or Rainfall, a 5 minite google search will tell what they wanted. Looking for RME reasons is a needle in a haystack. Heck I was even told it on a blog which I think was your actual site but I don't know. Why? Cause when I brought it up I was met with people telling me I was wrong and I don't get it. And when I ask what is the true issue, I'm met with basically "Look at the time, I left my meatloaf in the oven."

So yeah, I think RME needs some order in its ranks.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
RaikuFA said:
The most difficult thing was finding out what exactly made you mad about.
Hit up youtube. There are plenty of videos explaining it, many with over 10 reasons why the ending sucked and didn't actually live up to the claims that were made before release.

By telling you I want I will be shooting myself in the foot. Because my point isn't that the game didn't show me what I wanted. The game simply didn't show anything worth seeing.

LetalisK said:
But that's exactly what is going on. Saying this was false advertising is nothing but a red herring so that their revenge through the legal system looks justified. The game gave you choices at the end and the choices you made did effect the outcome. It was a shitty and half-assed three endings with a binary 4 second optional cutscene at the end, but it was still there. So in the end it does come down to personal taste and how far someone is willing to go to get retribution for having that taste violated.
Sure, it violated my tastes because I wanted a purple explosion.

?There are many different endings. We wouldn?t do it any other way. How
could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and
then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets? But I can?t
say any more than that??

Interview with Mike Gamble (Associate Producer)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-02-bioware-mass-effect-3-ending-will-make-some-people-angry

Interviewer: [Regarding the numerous possible endings of Mass Effect 2] ?Is that
same type of complexity built into the ending of Mass Effect 3??
Hudson: ?Yeah, and I?d say much more so, because we have the ability to
build the endings out in a way that we don?t have to worry about
eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is
coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot
more different. At this point we?re taking into account so many
decisions that you?ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that
stuff. It?s not even in any way like the traditional game endings,
where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got
ending A, B, or C.....The endings have a lot more sophistication and
variety in them.?

?We have a rule in our franchise that there is no canon. You as a player
decide what your story is.?
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1027650/mass_effect_3_reapers_can_win_bioware.html

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
All of this always makes me wonder what Casey and company has said after the fact, after people pointed out by BlindWorg (promises about a complex ending structure, etc). I haven't really read anything about it. Have they shown remorse or anything?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Snotnarok said:

Two very weak strawman arguments there.

1. Stories are not real life and don't have to play by real life's rules.

2. Comparing the ME3 ending to games with minimal or no focus on story misses the entire point of why people were upset over it.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I didn't feel the endings were horrendous, but I do find them all too similar for my liking. And how big universe changing decisions (Genophase, Geth/Quarian war) were negated at the end.

It was made for speculation.
I like to think they just rebuilt/fixed the relays (Because I find it unlikely that they went unstudied, I know how we humans are. We study the shit out of everything).
Maybe it took a few years or more, either way, I like to think the universe was united again.

And fuck the Stargazer. I mentally retconned his ass.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Found this image a while back, thought it was funny as hell;

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=mass+effect#/d4sv254

Maybe it's just me, but it seems Bioware doesn't like giving out happy endings.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I think that one thing is clear: Either the people arguing their case didn't play the game, or the ASA didn't play the game, or both.

Either way, it's very clear that the ASA doesn't understand the endings. At all. Nor do they see what the developers promised and how the endings correspond to developer promises and advertising.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
008Zulu said:
Found this image a while back, thought it was funny as hell;

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=mass+effect#/d4sv254

Maybe it's just me, but it seems Bioware doesn't like giving out happy endings.
No idea which image you're referencing, but the Who's Line motivational poster made me LOL.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
At this point I just dont care.

The only thing I can do is withhold my money and watch BiowarEA crash and burn.
And get a laugh at how these people think RED GREEN AND BLUE MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Do you hear that BiowarEA its my money running off to find greener pastures. Might want to get used to it.

How will the sales of DA3 fare after DA2/ME3? Not well probably.