UK General Election 4th July

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Ah, had to (shamefully) look up how exactly the parliament in the U.K. works. I knew two houses and stuff... but i was a bit weirded out when i saw: Reform UK: 14% of votes only 1% of seats. So only direct mandates? Wow... that seems... unfair and shit. Now you have ~15 percent of voters in a constant angry/frustrated state. (Not that we here on the other side of the canal have a fair system... also pretty angry people here too, sigh.)
Yes, the fun of First-past-the-Post voting. Which most of the world does not use for this reason.

It also tends to promote two main parties and polarized politics. But good luck getting the oldest uninterrupted parliamentary gouvernment setup to fundamentally change.

But it feels good to see the Tories trashed.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Cabinet appointments coming.

Chancellor of the Exchequer: Rachel Reeves
Sec. of State for Housing/Deputy PM: Angela Rayner
Foreign Secretary: David Lammy
Sec. of State for Home Dept.: Yvette Cooper
Defence Secretary: John Healey
Justice Secretary: Shabana Mahmood
Chancellor of Duchy of Lancaster: Pat McFadden
Energy Secretary: Ed Miliband
Health Secretary: Wes Streeting
Education Secretary: Bridget Phillipson

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, the fun of First-past-the-Post voting. Which most of the world does not use for this reason.

It also tends to promote two main parties and polarized politics. But good luck getting the oldest uninterrupted parliamentary gouvernment setup to fundamentally change.

But it feels good to see the Tories trashed.

Well they can implement it with their healthy majority now can't they. Of course that will mean giving up over 300 seats.

Reactions: Satinavian

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Just remembering the reported poll they did for Sunak before election, asking people the first word to that comes to mind when describing him -with the legacy news airing the result using this visual non-bubble graph format;

1000009259.jpg

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Well, it is with great disappointment, but no real surprise, that my old stomping ground of Skegness and Boston in Lincolnshire voted in Reform.

The bunch of banjo strumming, sister fucking, inbred hicks.

Sadly I still have family and friends that live there, so I can't avoid the place.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Its nice to see the Tories get almost universal maligned for 14 years of misrule, but while its a democratic faux pass to say it, the British public has been pretty complicit in all that. 14 years and several elections should have been more then enough for the British public to vote them out, but often they just doubled down on the Tories even as disasters piled up.

Cameron's ruthless austerity was electorate rewarded in part because the public were more invested in how his rival ate a sandwich. Then with Brexit the electorate allowed themselves to get swindled and long after this became apparent they doubled down and actually decided that giving Bojo who caused the whole mess a majority was the way to go.

I can sympathize with the public's outrage about the decline of British living standards, but if you vote for the austerity party that's there for the upper class then you get harsh austerity for all except the upper class. And if you decided to torch all your trading agreements with your neighbors then you get a worse economy, and if you elect Boris Johnson you get incompetence and scandal. Since its their country on the line the voters have a right to be angry at all those things, but honestly what else were they expecting when voting for the conservatives?

The electorate can get some leeway due to the damage of austerity often taking some time to emerge and in generally it being a time the poor weren't sympathized much with, but every election after the electorate should have know better.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Its nice to see the Tories get almost universal maligned for 14 years of misrule, but while its a democratic faux pass to say it, the British public has been pretty complicit in all that. 14 years and several elections should have been more then enough for the British public to vote them out, but often they just doubled down on the Tories even as disasters piled up.

Cameron's ruthless austerity was electorate rewarded in part because the public were more invested in how his rival ate a sandwich. Then with Brexit the electorate allowed themselves to get swindled and long after this became apparent they doubled down and actually decided that giving Bojo who caused the whole mess a majority was the way to go.

I can sympathize with the public's outrage about the decline of British living standards, but if you vote for the austerity party that's there for the upper class then you get harsh austerity for all except the upper class. And if you decided to torch all your trading agreements with your neighbors then you get a worse economy, and if you elect Boris Johnson you get incompetence and scandal. Since its their country on the line the voters have a right to be angry at all those things, but honestly what else were they expecting when voting for the conservatives?

The electorate can get some leeway due to the damage of austerity often taking some time to emerge and in generally it being a time the poor weren't sympathized much with, but every election after the electorate should have know better.
While that sandwich thing was stupid and for some reason effected the poles, Cameron won on an anti-migrant platform, blaming them for the 'slow' results from his austerity policies

Like normal, migrants are scapegoats. But with Brexit, there is no way you can blame immigrants anymore and the policies of the Tories were still damaging soceity. So bye, bye Tories. Maybe learn what austerity does to an economy but I have little hope as they still hold up Thatcher as a good PM even though she caused two recession just in her own term

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Well well well, it looks like a Labour government might win Euro 2024.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

Is noticeable tendency for some to blame whole populations for the election of their leaders, but sadly that is not how democracy works most the time in our western nations, also it is kinda harmful and even dangerous fallacious thinking that paves an easy path for genocide apologism at its logical end point. I hope Owen Jones can articulate the issues much more eloquently than my fumbling attempts to communicate;

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I'm actually not going to say Labour lied on this one. They never promised in the first place. The report saying they were going to was so vague and unsubstantiated that I just assumed the news people were lying. "Fake News", one might say.

But yeah, no surprise Labour isn't going to hold Israel to account. They expelled all their Jews who weren't toeing the line over the last few years, why would anyone think they'd backtrack now that they're in power?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I'm actually not going to say Labour lied on this one. They never promised in the first place. The report saying they were going to was so vague and unsubstantiated that I just assumed the news people were lying. "Fake News", one might say.

But yeah, no surprise Labour isn't going to hold Israel to account. They expelled all their Jews who weren't toeing the line over the last few years, why would anyone think they'd backtrack now that they're in power?
they're pieces of shit either way

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
^ at present none of this is confirmed; it's reported by the tabloid Maariv without corroboration from the gov. We'll know for sure on July 26th (the UK's extended deadline for submissions to the ICC).

If confirmed, that's a reprehensible decision.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
^ at present none of this is confirmed; it's reported by the tabloid Maariv without corroboration from the gov. We'll know for sure on July 26th (the UK's extended deadline for submissions to the ICC).

If confirmed, that's a reprehensible decision.
It is very consistent with Lammy's fawning. Not just logically but thematically.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"Labour" lied, quelle surprise
To follow up, Labour have indeed dropped the UK's objection to the ICC warrant.

Seems it was just tabloid speculation that they'd backtracked. Maariv never had anything from the gov to suggest they had.

Labour have also restored funding to UNRWA.

Last edited:

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Reactions: Seanchaidh

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So, as I read somewhere, the Tories took up the objection on the behest of the USA.

This is probably because, as I recall, the USA is not a signatory to the ICC. Being a signatory would (morally) oblige the USA not to take actions deleterious to the principles of the ICC, and hey, if the USA wants to turn a blind eye to the odd genocide by its allies, it doesn't want embarrassment from adverse rulings. I assume the USA therefore does not have standing to make a representation to the ICC, or at least that it may be inappropriate to make a representation to it because doing so would be an implicit recognition of the ICC. So it nudged a pliable country into doing its dirty work for it, and the UK is relatively responsive to US wishes.

Reactions: Silvanus

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So, as I read somewhere, the Tories took up the objection on the behest of the USA.

This is probably because, as I recall, the USA is not a signatory to the ICC. Being a signatory would (morally) oblige the USA not to take actions deleterious to the principles of the ICC, and hey, if the USA wants to turn a blind eye to the odd genocide by its allies, it doesn't want embarrassment from adverse rulings. I assume the USA therefore does not have standing to make a representation to the ICC, or at least that it may be inappropriate to make a representation to it because doing so would be an implicit recognition of the ICC. So it nudged a pliable country into doing its dirty work for it, and the UK is relatively responsive to US wishes.
In essence, the USA wants to commit war crimes but delusionally pretends it can hold who the USA wants to account for similar crimes.

Everyone else says, 'nah' because rules are meant for everyone

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
In essence, the USA wants to commit war crimes but delusionally pretends it can hold who the USA wants to account for similar crimes.

Everyone else says, 'nah' because rules are meant for everyone
Pretty much. Rules-based systems are useful for entities that desire protection from stronger ones, and to the strong ones when they can reliably control the system. Necessarily therefore strong countries tend to skip systems they cannot control and which may hold them to account for breaking rules.

The USA played a major part in setting up the global postwar systems as it provided a means for the USA to control the world, or at least the part of the world that aligned with it, and to regulate the potential for conflict with the major power bloc which didn't align. The USA's increasing disinterest in the rules-based order it set up reflects the fact that the USSR collapsed and left it temporarily hegemonic, and then that as that hegemony rapidly faded it can no longer dominate the system as reliably as it used to.