Angron

Jul 15, 2008
in game ads?
a military made up of xbox live gamers?

screw it, im getting out of here while i still can

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
WINDOWCLEAN2 said:
oh wow really subtle, useless war you say?? have you forgotten September 11th 2001? or closer to home July 7th 2008?
I believe it was actually 2005.

I dunno how I feel about this, on one hand I fully support the armed forces and am not opposed to them recruiting at all, but on the other hand, having looked into joining myself the vibe I've gotten is that gamers (particularly those you'd be likely to find on XBL) are the last sort of people they'd be wanting to recruit, I'd have thought they've already had an influx of half-assers signing up because of the recession. Then again maybe I'm pre-judging XBL players, and far be it from me to judge the workings of our fine military.

EDIT: Thinking about it, there do seem to be a fair few gamers in military so maybe it's not as weird an idea as I immediately thought.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
If we had an army made up of Xbox live users, they would probably accuse the other side of camping.

Seriously though, that sounds a little... weird. Reminds me of Starship Troopers fro some reason.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
WINDOWCLEAN2 said:
ziggybogidou said:
I live in the UK and, frankly, I find this insulting.
We are already caught up in a useless war and if the government cannot find enough people willing to be killed for no apparent reason they should take the hint.

People don't want to die.
Well, most people don't.
oh wow really subtle, useless war you say?? have you forgotten September 11th 2001? or closer to home July 7th 2008? How about you show respect for the people giving their lives so you don't get blown up on your way to work?

OT : I think its a good idea as alot of these people will not know where their lives are going and if they join the military they can feel a good sense of purpose in British society
Firstly, it was 7th July 2005.
Secondly, the people who carried out the attacks were British, and probably wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for our prior involvement with America in the war.

oh, and you tell me, what are we achieving?

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
ziggybogidou said:
WINDOWCLEAN2 said:
ziggybogidou said:
We are already caught up in a useless war and if the government cannot find enough people willing to be killed for no apparent reason they should take the hint.

Well, most people don't.
oh wow really subtle, useless war you say?? have you forgotten September 11th 2001? or closer to home July 7th 2008? How about you show respect for the people giving their lives so you don't get blown up on your way to work?

OT : I think its a good idea as alot of these people will not know where their lives are going and if they join the military they can feel a good sense of purpose in British society
Secondly, the people who carried out the attacks were British, and probably wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for our prior involvement with America in the war.

How about bringing down a couple of tyrannical regimes? Oh wait, I forgot, since it's not in England, it's not our problem and we should ignore it.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
one gamer actually joins

"ow that hurt"
"come on damn it why don't I heal"
"oh shit grenade!"
"man this re spawn takes forever..."

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
seems like a good way to increase numbers of recruits. As long as it works. The Army's problem isnt really getting people to sign up, its getting them to stay in thats the problem.

Nov 28, 2007
WrongSprite said:
ziggybogidou said:
WINDOWCLEAN2 said:
ziggybogidou said:

Well, most people don't.

How about bringing down a couple of tyrannical regimes? Oh wait, I forgot, since it's not in England, it's not our problem and we should ignore it.
Yes, Iraq is nice and orderly now that the US came in and took out that mean Saddam Hussein.

lazy_bum

Mar 25, 2009
Good luck with that, don't think most online gamers will be too thrilled at the prospect of getting shot at for real after being fragged for the umpteenth time. i know i'll certainly be ignoring these advertisments as much a i do the t.v. ones and the bloke who came into my store and tried to enroll me in the T.A.

Sulu

Jul 7, 2009
ziggybogidou said:

Well, most people don't.
Useless war? I think not.

If foreign forces pull out of Afghanistan then the Taliban regime will take over again. This will give Al Qaeda a safe haven to plan strikes against nations. 9/11 and 7/7 for example. Do you remember them?

Plus of course the Taliban will bring along their hard line sharia law to the Afghans, which takes away most of thier rights among other things.

But of course you are the sort of person who moans at the government for not predicting terrorists and then moans at the government when they sort the problem out. How about you give our armed forces some respect?

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
SantoUno said:
Woah woah woah woah woah...woah .......woah .........

Lois this is not my batman glass Oh wait

Seriously that is messed up, I would expect that from the US armed forces but why the UK? That is messed up, trying desperately to snatch young innocent gamers who are just playing to have a good a good time and throw them into a life-changing situation that they most likely never want to be a part of.

Hope no one is victimized by this

Also this sadly just fuels the fire that games can actually make you a potential killer, either on the battlefield or off it...
Think they want the innocent gamer still in their mom's loft at 32 and offer them a life.
Least the US armed forces made a half descent game to plug the recruitment.

lazy_bum

Mar 25, 2009
Sulu said:
ziggybogidou said:

Well, most people don't.
Useless war? I think not.

If foreign forces pull out of Afghanistan then the Taliban regime will take over again. This will give Al Qaeda a safe haven to plan strikes against nations. 9/11 and 7/7 for example. Do you remember them?

Plus of course the Taliban will bring along their hard line sharia law to the Afghans, which takes away most of thier rights among other things.

But of course you are the sort of person who moans at the government for not predicting terrorists and then moans at the government when they sort the problem out. How about you give our armed forces some respect?
The Afghan situation isnt the problem, the problem was Iraq, where we went in on highly dubious grounds and then realised we were not properly equipped to sort the mess out again.
well, we did have a good plan till the Neo Conservative elements decided to mess it up by trying to give them a western democracy they are not used to and woulndn't really accept as well as getting rid of the entire iraqi government establishment rather than just those at the top.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
thebobmaster said:
WrongSprite said:
ziggybogidou said:
WINDOWCLEAN2 said:
ziggybogidou said:

Well, most people don't.

Yes, Iraq is nice and orderly now that the US came in and took out that mean Saddam Hussein.
This fight is even more fun then the OT!

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
I think a lot of people here are over reacting

They're just adverts, probably identical to those that get scattered across tv inbetween box picking game shows and 10 year old reruns of the simpsons. Someone has just noticed the insane amount of sales this game has had with their target demographic and thought 'hey, may as well dump a couple of adverts there'

Also even if you think Iraq and afghanistan are wars we shouldn't be involved in, you still have to admit that armed forces are important to have around.

Nhilus

Jan 18, 2009
to sum up whats happening:
Congratulations you can use a controller/mouse would you like to come and try it for real, theres no respawns and all the guns are hyper realistic. I don't think it makes sense to recruit for anything VIA video games due to there being so many vast differences, for example Microsoft flight simulator does not make you good at flying a plane.

Nhilus

Jan 18, 2009
bagodix said:
Nhilus said:
to sum up whats happening:
Congratulations you can use a controller/mouse would you like to come and try it for real, theres no respawns and all the guns are hyper realistic. I don't think it makes sense to recruit for anything VIA video games due to there being so many vast differences, for example Microsoft flight simulator does not make you good at flying a plane.
That's a poor comparison. MS Flight Simulator is meant to be as realistic as possible, and flight simulators are used for training purposes as far as I know.
I'll grant you that but I couldn't really think of any others =D but I was mainly going for the difference between desktop/laptop and cockpit.