UK Retailers Threaten to Ditch Steam Games

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Something tells me that they(the retailers) will still stock AAA games regardless of the outcome.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
As much as I like Steam, I hope if it comes down the a showdown that the retailers/Steam's comptetitors win. Combining a distribution platform with DRM & development software will lead to nowhere but monopoly, which is not good regardless of what a nice guy Gabe Newell might be.
Quite frankly, Gabe Newell has already set off a lot of red flags.

For starters, there's his "Steam isn't DRM" line. It's blatantly dishonest. I see him get up there and talk about how DRM is bad, then shill his own DRM because, apparently, cloud saves mean that having to activate your game online isn't DRM anymore!

Then there's his "Xbox Live needs to changes it's rules so that we can do things the way we want" tantrum. Nevermind that Microsoft has good reasons for wanting to seperate bugs fixes from content- Gabe Newell wants the same control he has over his own platform on Live.

The idea of Steamworks being integrated into consoles makes my skin crawl. Steamworks is very much centered around control, and I don't want the same crap that is driving me off of buying PC games coming to consoles.

Feb 13, 2008
OH NOES!

After years of ignoring, mis-selling and failing to promote PC games in favour of their more expensive console counterparts, someone else has picked up the slack. And we can only think of Steam because GOG, Underdogs, CEX, Amazon, Ebay, Play aren't as well known.

So we've decided to stop selling the sort of PC games that actually sell!

And this is only HMV (ignore games anyway) and GameStation (Obsessed with midnight openings and fluffy stores) that are doing it? Ignoring PCWorld, who might just sell a few more PC games.

How terrible. So now I'll actually be able to buy my games without some spotty herbert patronising me over my game choice while trying to sell me a worthless loyalty card?

How will I ever cope.

Well...I could install Steam...which is...just what they say they want to avoid...

Yeah...Thumbs up for that escapade.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
HellsingerAngel said:
None of what you wrote has anything to do with Steam being bad, but rather a lack of competition in the online distribution business. You can't blame Steam for lack of another quality digital distribution service.
Oh and GfWL is a terrible, terrible service. It doesn't "prove how hard making a digital distributor is". Steam is a monopoly because nobody has bothered competing with it.

Aurora219 said:
That's all well and good, but the reverse equivalent is that every Steam game you buy online had to come with an unskippable advert for Gamestop or Game or something, and possibly vouchers off your next purchase at one of them. Steam wouldn't do it.
Not quite, ads and vouchers do not serve a purpose to a Steam-bought game, while Steam provides server and social networks for Store-bought games. There is actually a practical reason behind Steam being included or required for a game.

Right now, the only reason why buying a physical game is better than downloading it is that you don't have to download it. Steam games are cheaper, more convenient, no need to carry a physical copy(or even worse, break it!), always in stock guaranteed, etc.

Retailers are obsolete already.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
No oofense, but games on steam are either the same price or even more expensive, besides, I doubt that they will stop selling games like fallout and COD.

By any chance, are the two major retailers HMV & GAME?

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Welcome to Capitalism. Someone makes a new mousetrap and you become obsolete and die of hunger. Steam is hedging out competition because THEY HAVE A GOOD SERVICE. When did being successful make you a bad person?

IS NOT A MAN ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT OF HIS BROW? NO, SAYS THE GOVERNMENT, IT BELONGS TO THE STATE! NO, SAYS THE MAN IN THE VATICAN, IT BELONGS TO THE POOR! NO, SAYS THE COMMUNIST, IT BELONGS TO EVERYONE!

I chose...something different. I chose, the impossible. I chose, Rapture STEAM!
*claps*

OT- Seems like Steam has to go Nuclear.
Goodbye retail profit.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
If say, GAME, could have gotten me New Vegas on the PC at £30 or less on preorder, with the caravan pack, plus maybe extra goodies, then I would have considered it.

However, Steam got me the game for £30 on preorder, with extra DLC for preordering.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
BJ777 said:
No oofense, but games on steam are either the same price or even more expensive, besides, I doubt that they will stop selling games like fallout and COD.

The two main UK retailers are GAME and Gamestation. Everyone else does it as a side line (HMV is mainly music and music/pop culture merchandise)

However, Gamestation don't really support PC gamers, and GAME doesn't compete where it matters.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I will not purchase a game that requires any kind of "online activation" to play a single player game until such time as a modification exists to avoid me having to ask permission to use my own property.

Because of this the publishers will miss out on my money the first few crucial weeks after release.

I wouldn't put up with it any other product (toaster: you verify your item purchase number with westinghouse because you can use this product to warm your bread) and I won't put up with it for a game.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well I buy a lot of stuff from Steam, but also from stores. Quite often stores are cheaper than Steam even for new releases. I save £5 on New Vegas and Civ V by buying from a game shop than Steam. They had Steam built in, and so I downloaded and run them through Steam.

I like Steam a lot. Automatic patches, good sales, and it means I don't have to swap disks about to play different games. It's easier.

OT: The reason developers put in Steamworks is to help stop piracy and hacking. Both of these are problems for the retailer as well. Then again I see their point. Would Game stores really not stock Call of Duty or Fallout to make a point? It's a risky proposition.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Callate said:
I'm of mixed minds. On the one hand, my reflexive reaction is to say: "What tiny portion of the PC games market is unaware of Steam and thus threatened by its inclusion in retail games?" There are certainly plenty of people who wouldn't choose to use Steam to buy their games because of limited Internet access, but I have to suspect that the number of people who have unrestricted broadband Internet connections and will suddenly be made aware of a new purchasing option by the installation of Steam on their computers is really quite small.
Some of us don't like the idea of Valve having absolute control over the entire PC platform, which is where things are headed. Without retail, Valve will be able to set whatever terms they like and there will be no other way to play PC games aside from Piracy.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Evil the White said:
BJ777 said:

The two main UK retailers are GAME and Gamestation. Everyone else does it as a side line (HMV is mainly music and music/pop culture merchandise)

However, Gamestation don't really support PC gamers, and GAME doesn't compete where it matters.
But, in fairness, Gamestation mostly deals with used games, but then again CEX ONLY deals with used games.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Really the article might as well read

"Mummy! He stole my teddy bear!"

But steam is a great platform all they should do is stop stocking PC if they do stop stocking so what?! Steam is a good platform and instead of shunning it should embrace it not everyone is up to the idea of waiting hours to download a game. Oh well.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
fundayz said:
HellsingerAngel said:
None of what you wrote has anything to do with Steam being bad, but rather a lack of competition in the online distribution business. You can't blame Steam for lack of another quality digital distribution service.
Oh and GfWL is a terrible, terrible service. It doesn't "prove how hard making a digital distributor is". Steam is a monopoly because nobody has bothered competing with it.
I can see where you came to that conclusion, but how you can say it has nothing to do with retailers is beyond me. It's a game, being distributed, which means that any other competitor could have my business. The example has nothing to do with a digital distributor, it has everything to do with how Steam Support handled my case due to them having majority market hold. They couldn't give a shit if the sale had passed and they refused my card. "Go buy it full price, where else are you going to get it!?" That's the problem with monopolies, unfortunately. Because they own the entire market, they can do whatever they want with it. That's why they're illegal. And yes, there are methods you can use to corner a market, such as undercutting all the businesses around until they're driven into the ground, then jacking up your prices to recouperate your "losses". Steam holding 100% of the power is not good. Anybody holding 100% of the power is not good. If anyone ever holds 100% of the power over a market like PC gaming, except it to die, and quickly.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Well then maybe you should start fucking selling PC games! They're not a competitor if you barely even sell their games anyway!

Last Valiance

Jun 26, 2010
Do none of you understand that they will also stop stocking console games from those companies? if the retaielrs honestly did do that, of course they would go for it:
the console market for their games is MUCH bigger than the PC market; more than twice as big, in fact.

It's still an idle threat though.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Legion said:
I saw Gears of War 2 GOTY for almost the exact same price as the standard game second hand in one shop
Please, that's nothing. I saw Gears Of War 2 collectors edition new for £30, and second hand for £40 missing half the stuff.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Welcome to Capitalism. Someone makes a new mousetrap and you become obsolete and die of hunger. Steam is hedging out competition because THEY HAVE A GOOD SERVICE. When did being successful make you a bad person?

IS NOT A MAN ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT OF HIS BROW? NO, SAYS THE GOVERNMENT, IT BELONGS TO THE STATE! NO, SAYS THE MAN IN THE VATICAN, IT BELONGS TO THE POOR! NO, SAYS THE COMMUNIST, IT BELONGS TO EVERYONE!

I chose...something different. I chose, the impossible. I chose, Rapture STEAM!
You are awesome

OT: I get the feeling this will just alienate consumers. From experience, PC gamers are mostly aware of internet downloads and online shopping sites to purchase their games. To not stock two of the biggest titles on PC is just gong to cause them to purchase their goods elsewhere from say... Steam?

You want to stay in the game retail market GAME, don't alienate consumers. Give them a service that can't be offered by online purchasing. Maybe sign up groups, good customer service or anything that consumers don't get from online purchasing

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Call me old fashioned, but I like having a hard copy of all my games. I like to have them mounted on a bookshelf like a trophy rack, showing off my impeccable taste for all to see. But that's really the only thing brick and mortar stores have over Steam. Take away the physical medium, delivery, and employee costs and that's Steam for you. The only way I can see Gamestop competing with Steam is to launch their own digital distribution platform. But even then, Steam is so great that I just don't see them going down any time soon.