Ukraine

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Just a friendly reminder that Russia's history of doing heinous shit in the name of its imperial ambitions is far longer than the US. Russia was terrorizing its neighbors centuries before the US was even a thing. And in contrast it has often been far more extreme, and far less justified then whatever the US was doing at the time.
going to do slight Devil's Advocate but America's treatment of Native Americans can be seen in a similar light to what Russia did with its Neighbours. "Kill the Indian, Save the Man" policy can be strikingly similar to what russia did to its neighbors,where they try to force them to be Russian. The only difference is the disease did not mess them up to the point they could not fight back in Eastern Europe compared to America's natives.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
And that retroactively makes those events not true?
No, the events are still true or false as may be. The problem with conspiracy theory is that it ceases to matter.

Call the argument the US and NATO does heinous shit a conspiracy theory, expect examples of the US and NATO doing heinous shit.
I have at no point suggested that elements of the US government, or those of other NATO countries, much less the more than 3 million people involved in the armed forces of NATO countries, have never done anything bad.

What I'm still not sure about is why it matters and what exactly the point you're trying to make is.

The irony of this is I'm the one calling it simple realpolitik and arguing others shouldn't be moralizing the conflict into demonstrably false, dichotomous, "Russia bad!"/"West good!" nonsense.
Where exactly is the realpolitik?

There are clear ideological and geopolitical alignments that the government of Ukraine shares with the governments of most NATO countries. Ukraine is a liberal democracy. It's legislative branch is dominated by liberal and centrist parties. Even combined, far right parties hover around 2% of the national vote. There isn't really a geopolitical aisle to reach over here.

But insofar as who is waging the conflict and for what reasons, I didn't think there'd be a day where we'd be arguing whether Nazis exist or are evil...on this forum, of all places. I'd think "Nazis are bad" is an supposition upon which we should all be able to agree.
I don't think that's what we're arguing at all.

What I think noone is buying, and rightly so, is this impressionist painting of the situation where the government of Ukraine is being controlled by a secret Nazi conspiracy, and that this secret Nazi conspiracy is being controlled by US intelligence agencies who secretly love Nazis and being evil and we can totally tell because those intelligence agencies supported right-wing dictatorships and paramilitaries in Latin America as part of the cold-war era Monroe doctrine.

The position in opposition to mine is the US isn't doing -- and hasn't done -- heinous shit in Ukraine. And by extension, the US didn't start this shit by doing heinous shit in Ukraine. Because apparently, the last 233 years (but more importantly, the last 88 of that) of the US doing heinous shit and starting regional conflicts across the globe by doing heinous shit, isn't track record enough to demonstrate doing heinous shit is absolutely in-character for the US.
In historical context, the amount of "heinous shit" the US has done in its relatively short period of existence is pretty unexceptional.

But again, here we cut to the essence of conspiracy theory. The idea that the actions of the US government are dictated not by geopolitical concerns in the present but by some kind of nebulous organizational character or tendency towards evil is really, really dumb. Even if the goal here was for Nazis to take over Ukraine and form some kind of Nazi puppet state who love evil and America and will be fanatical slaves to the CIA because they've all been mind-controlled with LSD, there's still one massive problem. Why would that ever be worth it?

Ukraine is not a rich country. It's one of the poorest countries in Europe. It doesn't have amazing natural resources that could be exploited by US companies. It doesn't have a wealthy population who could be a market for US goods. It has been devastated by war and will require many years to rebuild its economy and military capabilities. Nothing the US will ever get back from Ukraine will ever be worth the amount it is going to have to spend to secure a Ukrainian victory, so if your argument is that this is some kind of realpolitik, then where is the incentive. Where is the "real"?

going to do slight Devil's Advocate but America's treatment of Native Americans can be seen in a similar light to what Russia did with its Neighbours. "Kill the Indian, Save the Man" policy can be strikingly similar to what russia did to its neighbors,where they try to force them to be Russian. The only difference is the disease did not mess them up to the point they could not fight back in Eastern Europe compared to America's natives.
I don't think that's a Devil's Advocate take at all.

Russia's treatment of incorporated non-Russian minorities has never been good and frequently veered into openly genocidal.

I'm unaware of many cases of indigenous activists in the US being snatched off the street and either winding up dead or being indefinately detained in insane asylums without trial. That seems to be alarmingly common in Russia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
In historical context, the amount of "heinous shit" the US has done in its relatively short period of existence is pretty unexceptional.
I would contest that.

The US might not be particularly special compared to other Great Powers and colonial empires, but that is a club of nations known for applying undue force externally and engaging in conquest and subjugation and sometimes even slavery.

There are a lot of nations with a better record of heinos shit per time. Unfortunately they are often considered "unimportant", mainly due to not pushing around their neighbors and forcefully changing borders.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I would contest that.

The US might not be particularly special compared to other Great Powers and colonial empires, but that is a club of nations known for applying undue force externally and engaging in conquest and subjugation and sometimes even slavery.

There are a lot of nations with a better record of heinos shit per time. Unfortunately they are often considered "unimportant", mainly due to not pushing around their neighbors and forcefully changing borders.
Well...if we were to compare heinous shit per capita or GDP, that might change things, the US has more resources to expend being awful than most nations.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
That would be quite difficult to do for a span of over three centuries. Even then i don't think it would look too good. We have the slavery and the segregation and colonial endeavors with the phillipines etc. and the blatant land grab and repeated expulsion and extermination of native trives, even allied natives and a couple of wars of conquest and we haven't even really touched the last century.

A country that didn't have a slave based economy, didn't conquer anyone and subsequently didn't have a conquered population to subdue, mistreat or "reeducate" and also lacked other relevant minorities to abuse would easily come out better here.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
There are clear ideological and geopolitical alignments that the government of Ukraine shares with the governments of most NATO countries. Ukraine is a liberal democracy.
Weeeeeell... its a flawed democracy. Its definitely too trigger happy with banning parties, though its also true that none of the parties its banned commanded any significant support anyway. And it has an election in very recent history with significant levels of fraud (though the primary perpetrator of that fraud ended up losing that election anyway).

It's on the road to liberal democracy, and has improved since the days of Yanukovych's attempted fraud. Of course, none of this matters a single whit to Russia, which aims to entirely dismantle elections altogether.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Apparently the problem is that I've ignored the agency of other countries in a world in which the United States has launched 251 military interventions in the last 31 years. 🤣

What about the (local elites of) client states who like the empire?

Weeeeeell... its a flawed democracy. Its definitely too trigger happy with banning parties, though its also true that none of the parties its banned commanded any significant support anyway. And it has an election in very recent history with significant levels of fraud (though the primary perpetrator of that fraud ended up losing that election anyway).

It's on the road to liberal democracy, and has improved since the days of Yanukovych's attempted fraud. Of course, none of this matters a single whit to Russia, which aims to entirely dismantle elections altogether.
You sound like a liberal commentator describing Russia in 1997.

Instead of ignoring the US's material support of Yeltsin even after/because of his bombardment of the Russian Duma, you're ignoring the US's support of violent fascists that murdered protestors and police alike with sniper fire, then went on to overthrow the government with threats of assassination in order that "our guy" Yatsenyuk could be installed and Ukrainian austerity could proceed without any political obstacle; just blissfully glossing over the 2014 constitutional crisis that wasn't a constitutional crisis because the United States and its lackeys said everything was fine.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Russia's is now an Iran proxy, holy shit what timeline is this.
I can't decide if this is the dumbest or wierdest timeline

Reactions: Hawki

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
What are benefits like for former Russian servicemen who've been wounded or maimed in battle?
Because I get the feeling that whatever system exists won't be prepared to handle them.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
What are benefits like for former Russian servicemen who've been wounded or maimed in battle?
Because I get the feeling that whatever system exists won't be prepared to handle them.
Now now, this is the famed Russian military, beacons of gritty determination and stoic badassery the world over. There are no wounded. Only more sandbags.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You sound like a liberal commentator describing Russia in 1997.
"Flawed democracy" would be a very generous description for Russia at that time-- even the elections of 91, 96 & 2000 (the only ones to get anywhere even close to a democratic standard) were significantly more riven with corruption and fraud than modern Ukrainian elections. And the Ukrainian election with the most widespread fraud and intimidation in modern history was... 2004, perpetrated primarily by the pro-Russian candidate, who lost.

Instead of ignoring the US's material support of Yeltsin even after/because of his bombardment of the Russian Duma, you're ignoring the US's support of violent fascists that murdered protestors and police alike with sniper fire, then went on to overthrow the government with threats of assassination in order that "our guy" Yatsenyuk could be installed and Ukrainian austerity could proceed without any political obstacle; just blissfully glossing over the 2014 constitutional crisis that wasn't a constitutional crisis because the United States and its lackeys said everything was fine.
Except I haven't actually "ignored" the US's meddling. What I've done is refused to attribute the entire modern direction of Ukraine to that meddling, because doing so is completely absurd.

For several reasons: 1) there have been several subsequent elections that have been, for the most part, relatively free and fair (and certainly far freer and fairer than anything Russia has ever run). Mostly, the pro-Russian Westerners are simply incapable of accepting that their favoured policy is dismally unpopular in Ukraine. 2) Both foreign finance/meddling and violent fascist involvement in Ukraine existed on both the pro-Europe and pro-Russia sides, and more prominently on the latter.

Reactions: CM156 and Eligius

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
This is probably an example of ‘too soon’ but when the dust settles on this, I smell a Sabaton album not far on the horizon.
I wonder what the overlap is between Sabaton fans and Z-heads in Russia.

Totally anecdotal but the other day I saw some Ruski quoting Ghost Division as reference to some Russian offensive.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I said it before and I'll say it again, the entire reason we *have* nukes is so that another country with nukes doesn't get to say "give us whatever we want or we'll use nukes"

I mean, it'd be better if *nobody* had nukes, but we're 78 years late trying to keep *that* cat in the bag