Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

You lucky people in the UK get to see your tanks make history by poping Russia T-90Ms. Joe Biden meanwhile won't even send M1A1 Abrams let alone M1A2Cs.
Isn't part of the issue because Abrams run on Jet Fuel and not diesel, complicating logistics? God knows the poor Ukrainian Logistics officers are probably on suicide watch as it is with all the new shit getting donated.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

You lucky people in the UK get to see your tanks make history by poping Russia T-90Ms. Joe Biden meanwhile won't even send M1A1 Abrams let alone M1A2Cs.
Given the current state of things, I am doubtful that many ordinary British people are looking at this and feeling lucky. And if they are, it’s not for the same reason you’re outlining.

Reactions: Hawki

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Given the current state of things, I am doubtful that many ordinary British people are looking at this and feeling lucky. And if they are, it’s not for the same reason you’re outlining.
Well, someone has to use the Challenger 2: compared to the M1A1 and Leopard 2 its international sales have been deeply underwhelming.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Yep. The recruitment effort has included violent criminals such as murderers and rapists, brought into the ranks of a PMC with a severe neo-fascist streak and zero real oversight. Hence why Prigozhin's latest claim-- that only Wagner personnel are involved in the battle for Soledar, no regular Russian military personnel-- is so disturbing.
Like Tornado battalion, then.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
One of the best things Trump did was allow the export of American petroleum products to other countries, but I wish it were more targeted at our allies instead. If we had hoarded all of the energy resources and nationalized them, then preceded to keep them for ourselves I would argue it would be worst than not signing the Paris Climate accords in the short term. We would be warm while many countries get riots, but that didn't stop OPEC from price gouging.

Again If I were the US I would let Venezuela sell its oil.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Not sure many people in the UK are feeling lucky right now, but sure.

"We've comitted economic self-sabotage, our government is a mess, countless people are living below the poverty line, the country's gripped by a culture war, we've lost our longest reigning monarch and the Windsors are tearing themselves apart, but by God can we sell some tanks!"

Still, least this is going to Ukraine rather than Saudi Arabia, so there's that. :(

Reactions: Dalisclock

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"We've comitted economic self-sabotage, our government is a mess, countless people are living below the poverty line, the country's gripped by a culture war, we've lost our longest reigning monarch and the Windsors are tearing themselves apart, but by God can we sell some tanks!"
We're the poster child for managed decline.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Except I'm not sure they're being sold, they're being donated. Thus outside Oman, the only way the Challenger II is getting exported is by giving them away.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Well, any tank is better than no tank, I suppose
To be fair, the Challenger 2 is definitely a good tank, if we mean reliable, tough and good at killing things - it is thoroughly battle-tested (if against markedly inferior opponents). However, there are a lot of considerations that go into a tank purchase. The Challenger 2 should be similar to the M1A1 in performance, but a major issue with the Challenger 2 is that it uses a different gun, so it requires different ammo from... basically the rest of NATO. That's a substantial negative.

The Leopard 2 is relatively untried in battle - reputedly the Turks lost quite a few to ISIS. However, it has consistently performed well in trials and is likely to be popular because it is used already by quite a lot of countries, relatively cheap, and I think quite adaptable to readily meet each military's specifications. The M1A1 and Challenger 2 are supposed to be better protected and more accurate, but not by a margin that significantly matters compared to the Leopard 2's non-combat advantages.

And in the end, modest differences in tank quality mean little relative to the quality of the crew and tactical use.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Take this as you will but considering Russia has been reported as buying ammo from North Korea of all places, the idea of them burning through their ammo stocks to the point they're willing to pull the deep storage stuff seems at least somewhat plausible.

And I don't think we need to go over the fact Russia kinda sucks at the maintenance part of the equation on a lot of their stuff. So look forward to more Russian ammo depots spontaneously combusting in the new year, I guess.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

Take this as you will but considering Russia has been reported as buying ammo from North Korea of all places, the idea of them burning through their ammo stocks to the point they're willing to pull the deep storage stuff seems at least somewhat plausible.

And I don't think we need to go over the fact Russia kinda sucks at the maintenance part of the equation on a lot of their stuff. So look forward to more Russian ammo depots spontaneously combusting in the new year, I guess.
I've heard something that Russia will never run out of ammo, they just have too much of it. The problem is they will always be on short supplies and be forced to use less of it to maintain a consistent firing power.

To put it simply, they can still fire at the enemy position but no longer 200 missiles a day, instead only being able to fire 50.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I've heard something that Russia will never run out of ammo, they just have too much of it. The problem is they will always be on short supplies and be forced to use less of it to maintain a consistent firing power.

To put it simply, they can still fire at the enemy position but no longer 200 missiles a day, instead only being able to fire 50.
Also matters little how much supplies you've got, if they are at the supply depot and you don't have the logistics to get them where needed. And in Russia's case, if you can't trust the lists of how much supplies there are.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Sure, but this means a decrease in firepower. This may be particularly critical for intense, protracted combat, because they potentially need to stockpile for heavy action, so anywhere that doesn't have sufficient reserves will have degraded combat effectiveness. They mostly seem to be wasting missiles on cities, for large amounts of human suffering and low military effectiveness.

If they're also ending up using old and degraded ammunition - potentially badly stored as well - chances are a significant chunk of that ammo won't work. One in ten artillery shells not exploding is a pretty dramatic drop in combat effectiveness (and a nightmare for post-war clear-up). If it explodes in the wrong conditions - storage or in the gun, even worse.