Eagleland

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
* Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn has entered the chat*
He's been lurking in the thread for a long while; 2/3 of Russia's own prison population are incarcerated in forced labour camps rather than regular prisons, remember.

Of course, interring the population of a country you're invading in forced labour camps is a fun "new" step in modern slavery.

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Zelensky has stated that he envisions post-war Ukraine to be modeled more on Israel than the EU, which sounds just swell for human rights.
:rolleyes:

What he meant is that Ukraine may well need to be a relatively heavily militarised country with a highly developed security apparatus, which will include less liberty than many other European countries. It's also worth noting he said the 'Israel model' was not what Ukraine wanted to be, but what it will need to be whilst under threat of Russian aggression.

You can try this shit all you like, reality still boils down to the fact that the biggest problem here is Russia.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Of course, interring the population of a country you're invading in forced labour camps is a fun "new" step in modern slavery.
Ah, but of course as far as Russia and Russian law is concerned, all that territory Russian troops are squatting on is now Russia.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ah, but of course as far as Russia and Russian law is concerned, all that territory Russian troops are squatting on is now Russia.
Which makes it hilarious that Ukraine keeps taking it back and Putin just keep jabbering about "Red Lines".

I had some fun engaging with a Russian troll for a while who kept insisting Putin is totally gonna use a nuke if they lose Crimea, because it's somehow different then Kherson/Kharkiv/the Moskva/The Kerch bridge/whereever the fuck the red line is today(that red line moves all the fucking time, it's amazing).

And of course they got frustrated and fell back to talking point 4 in the playbook "Well, America nuked Japan", the most transparent bit of Whataboutism. Yep, it was quite an experience. It was quite an experience.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Which makes it hilarious that Ukraine keeps taking it back and Putin just keep jabbering about "Red Lines".
Well, yeah, "red lines".

Putin has always known that invasion's success was dependent on the West staying out, and the only means he had to do that was ultra-hardline bluffing. The West has been very cautious (as it should have been), but the problem with ridiculously strict "red lines" like Putin's is that they are so unreasonable that they are rarely credible or can be lived up to. And every time he has to back down, he and his read lines look even more small and pathetic.

Although, that said, I'd rather Ukraine did not go crossing any agreed international borders to a significant degree.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to find out about the comparative abilities of the Abrams, Challengers, Leopards and Leclercs against the T-62s & T-90s the Russian army has been fielding. I'm not a military history buff at all, so if anyone has better insight, please chime in. I expect several of you do.

From what I can see, in a battle during the Gulf War, ~30 Abrams managed to destroy 160 T-62s without losing a single tank (though they did lose a Bradley). A bunch of commentators online were pointing out that the Iraqi crew was likely to be significantly worse trained than a modern Russian one. But still, that seems like an extreme gulf (heh) between them.

The Challenger 2 also seems to hold the record for the longest-distance tank-v-tank kill.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I've been trying to find out about the comparative abilities of the Abrams, Challengers, Leopards and Leclercs against the T-62s & T-90s the Russian army has been fielding. I'm not a military history buff at all, so if anyone has better insight, please chime in. I expect several of you do.

From what I can see, in a battle during the Gulf War, ~30 Abrams managed to destroy 160 T-62s without losing a single tank (though they did lose a Bradley). A bunch of commentators online were pointing out that the Iraqi crew was likely to be significantly worse trained than a modern Russian one. But still, that seems like an extreme gulf (heh) between them.

The Challenger 2 also seems to hold the record for the longest-distance tank-v-tank kill.
You're correct with what you've said. What makes this difficult is that tanks rarely operate on their own but often part of combined armed forces to cover weaknesses, so just comparing tanks head to head doesn't mean a while lot outside of testing gun and armor effectiveness. While some tanks can be argued to be better then others under ideal conditions, war is rarely ideal and sometimes neither are tanks(if production and maintenance corners have been cut). Some of the issues the Iraqis apparently had was the fact they would stick to the roads(which made them much easier targets) and apparently didn't operate at night much either, though apparently also made their own tank ammo, which was of....less quality then they probably would have liked. If you ammo isn't good quality, it doesn't help you much because the shots that do connect probably don't do as much damage.

So the question is how much these less then ideal conditions apply to the Russians, in which case the best thing I can think of is looking up whatever tank battles have already occurred in Ukraine in the past year. A quick check tells me that the Russians have lost 1000+ tanks in the last year, including a fair number of T-80's and T-90's, which are supposed to be the better ones. While I can't speak for Russian production quality, I think we can safely assume at this point that Russian maintenance standards leave a lot to be desired and logistics still seem to be a major hurdle for them. It would also seem that Russia has been having issues with the "combined" part of "Combined arms" at times, and IIRC, during the push on Kyiv there were issues with Russian tanks getting picked off by ambushs because they weren't using infantry to screen them(which is like modern Battle tactics 101 right there).

And of course, there's crew experience and training to take into account. Part of the issue with losing 1000+ tanks is losing 1000+ tank crews and any training and experience they may have had. And sure, you can just stick 3 dudes into a T-72, give them weeklong course on how to drive and shoot the damn thing and call it good, but then you run the risk of, well, them not being able to use the thing effectively and it's much more likely they're also going to get killed(and the tank lost).

If this source is correct, Russia has lost half of it's T-80 fleet, which....well, it's not good. T-90's are doing a bit better, being merely decimated at a 11% confirmed loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silvanus

Lykosia

May 26, 2020
Country
Finland

T-62 is a generation behind M1. Soviet Union only sold export models to Iraq, they didn't have the best armor or ammunition. But one of the biggest thing was that Iraqi tanks didn't have thermals. Allied tanks owned the night. That was one of the key factors why in the battle of Norfolk which was mostly fought during a night, Allies lost only about 4 tanks against over 500 Iraqi tanks that were destroyed.

Russian forces have similar problems, some of their tanks don't have thermals and their infantry is lacking night vision as well.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The original gun on the T-62 probably could not penetrate the front of US/UK tanks by the time of the Gulf War. Unless they'd had a newer gun fitted or some advanced ammo, they either need to outflank or they're appallingly outclassed. Plus, they also have to hit. Almost certainly inferior optics, stabilisation, fire control, worse trained crews and tactics, and likely inferior maintenance. It's not a recipe for a happy battle. Chances are the Allies also had a huge reconnaisance advantage.

The more modern Soviet tanks that Russia will use (plus of course some upgrades) should be a much more substantial risk.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
What he meant is that Ukraine may well need to be a relatively heavily militarised country with a highly developed security apparatus, which will include less liberty than many other European countries.
Yes, that is how Israeli propaganda would characterize Israel and justify its killing of and other crimes against Palestinians. Zelensky was already using artillery against cities in Donetsk Oblast before the Russian intervention.

It's also worth noting he said the 'Israel model' was not what Ukraine wanted to be,
Israelis will claim that the Israel model isn't what Israel wanted to be either. It's just so unfortunate, but they HAVE to kill people and enforce an apartheid system.

but what it will need to be whilst under threat of Russian aggression.
Yes, that is why they needed to apply artillery to cities in Donetsk. Because of the 'threat' of people living their lives outside of Kiev's control.

You can try this shit all you like, reality still boils down to the fact that the biggest problem here is Russia.
The Minsk agreements could have been followed by Ukraine over the objections of Ukraine's neo-Nazi paramilitary organizations, neo-Nazi military regiments, and neo-Nazi financing oligarchs. NATO did not have to brazenly prepare Ukraine for a war with Russia nor to reconquer territories that do not seem to want to be reconquered. But they both did and here we are. The United States demands a new vassal on the other side of the world and cannon fodder to weaken the Russian state and it will not be left unsatisfied.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Zelensky was already using artillery against cities in Donetsk Oblast before the Russian intervention.
* before the main Russian force invaded, though after it had been occupied by Russian-sponsored insurgents and disguised Russian troops.

Yes, that is why they needed to apply artillery to cities in Donetsk. Because of the 'threat' of people living their lives outside of Kiev's control.
* the threat of occupation by foreign insurgencies and disguised Russian troops.

reconquer territories that do not seem to want to be reconquered.
Literally zero credible evidence: we've had a referendum held by an occupying military dictatorship, involving armed soldiers going door to door after extrajudicially executing their neighbours and families in the streets. The same occupying dictatorship which is now drawing up plans for penal slavery camps. And you want to take it at face value.

But they both did and here we are. The United States demands a new vassal on the other side of the world and cannon fodder to weaken the Russian state and it will not be left unsatisfied.
Dogshit. You disapprove of the direction in which Ukrainians voted, which was overwhelmingly in favour of European integration and away from Russia, owing to how Russia has repeatedly tried to invade and coerce its neighbour(s). The US did not just wholly control these outcomes from half the world away: Russian finance and political intervention in Ukrainian politics vastly outweighed American, even before the invasion, even before 2014. But because Russian partnership is so dismally fucking one-sided and coercive, it was also dismally unpopular. So they voted against it, time and again.

And because you disapprove of the electoral outcome, you're flagwaving for your preferred policy to be implemented at the barrel of a gun Instead, along with revisionist and utterly distorted pictures of foreign influence, which dramatically magnify your enemies and completely ignore anyone else.

One power is attempting to invade, depose the government, destroy Ukrainian statehood and national identity, open filtration camps and penal slavery camps, and install a puppet. That power is Russia.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
One power is attempting to invade, depose the government, destroy Ukrainian statehood and national identity, open filtration camps and penal slavery camps, and install a puppet. That power is Russia.
Remember that you're talking to someone who fantasizes about a resurgent communist Russia inspiring workers around the world to rise up and kill the rich.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Gotta have those all-terrain goalposts. I wonder if they're amphibious as well?
I mean they are, but only if the rubber seals have been installed and properly maintained. Which they haven't.

Which means it'll drive into the river, fill up with water, sink and become a waterlogged coffin for whoever is inside.

This is all NATO's fault, BTW, because the gay Jewish sanctions.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I mean they are, but only if the rubber seals have been installed and properly maintained. Which they haven't.

Which means it'll drive into the river, fill up with water, sink and become a waterlogged coffin for whoever is inside.
So standard military derfinition of 'amphibious' when it comes to vehicles - "Yeah, maybe, if you really want to risk it and the capability wasn't phased out 4 or 5 upgrade cycles ago"

This is all NATO's fault, BTW, because the gay Jewish sanctions.
So fabulous yet easy on the budget!