Ukraine

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Not really a thing in my line of work but please do go on; I like this stuff.
A submersible is any craft designed to work underwater, whearas a submarine is a craft that is fully selfsufficient and can move and renew its air autonomously, without needing to be supplied by a nearby platform or ship i.e. all submarines are submersibles, but not all submersibles are submarines.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
A submersible is any craft designed to work underwater, whearas a submarine is a craft that is fully selfsufficient and can move and renew its air autonomously, without needing to be supplied by a nearby platform or ship i.e. all submarines are submersibles, but not all submersibles are submarines.
I never could have realised it would have taken something so simple, but my life is now complete.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Damn. Now I have to throw out all my books on "submarines" written before the 50s. They were clearly all lies.

Lykosia

May 26, 2020
Country
Finland
I mean, sure. things work if you actually put some thought and planning into it.

But why do that when you can just ford the river in your tank? Your tank that's conspicuously not a boat and weighs about 40 or so tons.

If my memory serves me Leo 2 can go 4 meters under water and Russian T-72. 80 and 90 can go 6 meters. Or maybe it was other way around. It's been 16 years from my tanker days.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

If my memory serves me Leo 2 can go 4 meters under water and Russian T-72. 80 and 90 can go 6 meters. Or maybe it was other way around. It's been 16 years from my tanker days.
How often do you want to do that, though? Tanks get stuck in things, and that's one of the worst places to get stuck that doesn't involve people shooting at you.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Lykosia

May 26, 2020
Country
Finland
How often do you want to do that, though? Tanks get stuck in things, and that's one of the worst places to get stuck that doesn't involve people shooting at you.
Yeah. It's definitely something you only do if you're in desperate situation or you've time to check the riverbed.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I know where you'll be able to get a pile of near-new speed governors for cheap in a few months.
Ukraine: "How fast can these go?"
US military liaison: "Well, it's rated for 45 mph under ideal conditions"
Ukraine: "But how fast can they REALLY go, you know after we remove the speed limiters?"
US Military liaison: "I'm pretty sure that voids the warranty"

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Ukraine: "How fast can these go?"
US military liaison: "Well, it's rated for 45 mph under ideal conditions"
Ukraine: "But how fast can they REALLY go, you know after we remove the speed limiters?"
While behind him the tanker is holding up a sign saying “Super fucking fast bro!”

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Pfffft, the military always has excuses for something. "That's not feasible," "it only offers a 10% performance improvement for a 50% decrease in component life," "mounting that many M2s on a Land Rover will warp the frame if more than 2 of them fire at the same time*," "that's a definite violation of the Geneva Convention," "I'm calling security."

Fucken crybabies.

*apparently a fact discovered by some over-eager lads in the SASR.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The neo-Nazi mercenary group Wagner has recently suffered a severe defeat at the hands of rebel fighters in the Central African Republic during an ambush. The PMC is involved in battling for control of gold and diamond sources in CAR, and has been accused of the theft of Africa's natural resources.

The ACLED has carried out an analysis into their activities in CAR and Mali, and found that the rate at which Wagner targets civilians during their battles exceeds 50% in CAR and 70% in Mali-- which outpaces not only almost all government forces around the world, but also the insurgents/rebels threatening those African countries' governments.

Wagner is currently dispatched to about 6 or 7 conflicts in the African continent, on behalf of the Russian government, before we even get to Ukraine. Its force in the CAR alone is larger than the entirety of the Ukrainian Azov Battalion and Right Sector, upon which the Russian government has focused its "de-Nazification" propaganda.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
So it seem the Wagner group got one of their recruitment videos played on Infowars recently, a video designed to appeal to the you-know-whos of course. Can't seem to find an article about it showing on Google search yet other than the latest Knowledge Fight podcast episode, and this Scottish dude;

Hate to see synthwave being abused like that too.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Nonsense! Wagner is just fighting off foreign meddlers over control for Russia's natural resources which just happen to be temporarily located in Africa.
Didn't you know? Africa has historically always been part of Russia. Those poor Africans have been separated from the motherland for far too long.