Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Review

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:
Susan Arendt said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
No game makes better use of big spaces
Oh, so Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia have dissapeared from the face of the earth and from human history?
I love Prince of Persia, I do, but I think Uncharted does it better.
Until a HD remake of Prince of Persia Sands of Time comes out, I don't think that I could legally say that.

Also, just play any Assassin's Creed game(preferably II or revelations).
If we're talking about the console version of AC its not anywhere close to the visuals you get out of this game.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I am going to break into my brothers house and occupy his living room/ tv/ PS3 untill I finish this game, whether he likes it or not.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
LobsterFeng said:
Was that Flynn I saw in the credits of the video review? If it was then thanks for the spoiler alert.
Everything in the credits comes from pre-released trailers for the game.

CardinalPiggles said:
So this game is worth £300 is it? No? Didn't think so.
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I like how a game that completely justifies the purchase of a PlayStation 3 still only manages to get 4 and a half stars.
Just a bit of hyperbole for dramatic effect, guys, no need to be so negative or so literal. But the argument could certainly be made that it would be worth picking up a PS3 to play all three Uncharteds.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Just a bit of hyperbole for dramatic effect, guys, no need to be so negative or so literal. But the argument could certainly be made that it would be worth picking up a PS3 to play all three Uncharteds.
I bought my PS3 earlier this year primarily for the Uncharted series; I haven't regretted that purchase yet, though the other dozen+ exclusives certainly don't hurt. I missed you, Ratchet.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I don't consider Nathan Drake to be the deepest or most compelling game character around, but I much prefer his smarmy wisecracking to the hordes of angry or stoic, gravel-voiced, shaven-head brutes I see in so many other games. I've never understood the hatedom he gets.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
'The current trend in game design is all about player agency, choices with consequence and open-ended gameplay...'

Not quite, the current trend is 'cinematic', something which Uncharted has in spades. Maybe sometimes TOO much.

Alright, I'm gonna go read the rest of the review now :)

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Everything in the credits comes from pre-released trailers for the game.
I see. Well then it's impressive that I managed to avoid those trailers for this long.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cleril said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
No game makes such great use of big spaces and set pieces better than Uncharted
Oh, so Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia have dissapeared from the face of the earth and from human history?
The Escapist has been known for their ecstatic reviews. They hailed Dragon Age 2 as the best RPG ever.
You do realise what that image represents, right? Even as a joke, suggesting someone should be put down isn't really very funny, especially over what amounts to a difference of opinion.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Cleril said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
No game makes such great use of big spaces and set pieces better than Uncharted
The Escapist has been known for their ecstatic reviews. They hailed Dragon Age 2 as the best RPG ever.

So, wait. Just because someone liked a game more than you means that it's OK to call them incompetent and suggest they be euthanized? Yeah, that was a stellar move.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CynderBloc said:
Casual Shinji said:
I'll have to disagree on the story, it's honestly the weakest in the series.

Maybe if they hadn't included that random pirate subplot...
I'm only at chapter 20, but so far that's been the only section of it that I've enjoyed (10 to ~15/16). So much so, that I couldn't be arsed playing it anymore at the minute. I was so hyped about this, and for me it's fallen flat on its face.

Also, is it just me, or are a lot of the stealth sections broken? As in there's always 1 armoured guy that you can't stealth kill?
I don't think that's the only thing broken about the game - It doesn't feel like it's been through a lot of play testing.

Maybe I'm being too hard on this sequel, but I've completely lost my patience with it. Sure it's still all cinematic, but games like inFamous 2 and Batman: Arkam City have reached almost the same level of cinematic flare without losing that sense of freedom.

And I didn't mind the rigid nature of Uncharted 2 because the gameworld was terrifically designed and paced.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
crotchdot said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Question! Is the co-op in Uncharted 3 split-screen or do I have to tell my buddy across the street to grab his own copy of Uncharted 3 before we can play together?
It's also split-screen. Just like the footage in the video showed.
Awesome! The split-screen in the video looked a bit strange what with the hearts so I was unsure if the footage was taken simultaneously from different screens during LAN play. Still, great news!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CynderBloc said:
Casual Shinji said:
I forced myself to go back to it as this is the only day I have off for the rest of the week, and I finished it in about 45 minutes from where I left off...

I really am not sure what I feel about it. Yes, the new animations add to the fluidity of movement and the gameplay is as good as it was from the first moment of Drake's Fortune. It just feels like they have tried too hard to make it into an amazing spectacle, and it doesn't need that.

I honestly feel that this is the weakest in the series. It did have some really good sections (I'm sure you know the ones I'm talking about), but I'd still play DF before either of the other two
For me the Uncharted games are comparable to the Spider-Man movies:

- The first one was good, but you could tell they were still struggling with certain issues.
- The second one built upon what they learned from the previous title and struck an almost perfect balance.
- And the third needed to be bigger than the second so they just added stuff for the sake of stuff, completely destroying any pacing or structure.

They also added too much focus on the brawling mechanic in UC3 and from the second game on they should've realized that Drake's movements as a game character lacks the swiftness to pull that off. So where left with akward and twitchy fist fights wich look worse than the previous games because it's trying to be something it's not.

For me from the plane section onward it finally started to get pretty good. Eventhough most if not all of the shoot-outs felt very sloppy.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cleril said:
You do realize how to spell realize, right? Just like how I realize what that image represents.

Um...perhaps you took it too literally, ever think that I meant to state that the idea that Dragon Age 2 is the best RPG ever should be put down? Yep. Maybe that's what I meant; It's not entirely funny when you force words or messages from my post instead of just asking.
First of all, I'm British, so I spell realise with an "s." Secondly, don't get uppity with people for misunderstanding you when you've communicated badly.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cleril said:
I didn't get uppity, I responded to you because you took my post to another level. Can't a guy just post in peace without the need for useless assumptions?

And who's to say you didn't understand badly?

Can't we all just move along with our lives? I mean, what, do you want an apology for my post? I'm sorry. There, are we sexy now?
Considering one of my colleagues thought you were saying exactly the same thing, I don't think the problem lies with me. Also, an apology you don't mean is, well, meaningless.