Under-Rated Musicians

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
It took a long time for me to get used to Radiohead, then one day I had an ephiphany while listening to "No Surprises". Turns out Radiohead is exactly like Bob Dylan, they write great songs but you must get through the singing first.

Covers of Radiohead and Dylan always turn out amazing.

My underated band would be Okkervil River, slightly contrived, but still musically excellent

NoriYuki Sato

May 26, 2009
Theory of a Deadman, because they stick to their guns, unlike Nickleback..they used to sound the same..then Nickleback got made fun of for always singing the songs that they sang, and then they went vulgar and annoying...Theory however, got made fun of even more than Nickleback, and is one of the greatest bands ever

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
lemonofdoom2 said:
SniperWolf427 said:
Tool.

Everyone just claims that their songs are too long and weird. I say "Fuck you!" to such people.

Also, Radiohead. Yes, they may be very mellow, but it's still damned good!
So, you're an ass to people who voice their opinion on a band that isnt overlokked and are not under appreciated?

You know what, my one major complaint with Tool is the fact that all their songs sound the exact freakin same.

"well, you've never listened to a Tool c.d. have you?" That's the second most common response I get when I tell somebody that. The first one is a "nuh-uh!" or some obsenity followed by them crying and cutting themselves with the edge of their Tool c.d.

I actually own a Tool c.d. and I've seen Tool live. I listened to that C.D. from first track to last track and it all sounded the same. I had no idea when we changed songs. That is not an underappreciated band. That's a bunch of twats with instruments seeing how many times they can make the same damn song and how much money they can make off it!

Anyways, an unappreciated band I would say would be Tsunami Bomb. They didnt revolutionize anything butthey made terrific music in a short enough span before they broke up.
Are you sure we're all talking about the same band? Tool's songs are almost always different from the last. Every album they have goes from one end of the spectrum to the other. I can't say that any of their songs really sound like another except for the songs that are meant to flow into one another (Parabol/Parabola and Wings for Marie/10,000 days). They are one of an extremely small number of truely unique bands, IMO. Of course, it is all opinion so don't kill the messenger. =P

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i'm going to go out on a really strange limb and say Prince. mostly cause people just dismiss him as being too poppy, the dude has more talent in his left pinky than most bands do

Jackson - Deathclaw

Feb 21, 2009
Karnivool, starting to get big over here now
Paul Kelly, only because im starting to see the extent of his work for school
john 5
there are probably others but they don't immediately come to mind

wastedyouth89

Mar 9, 2009
Oh God where to start. There are so many. Ok I'll do this by genre.

METAL
Protest the Hero, Dillinger Escape Plan, Giant Squid, Opeth, Meshuggah, Psyopus, Dog Fashion Disco, Boy Hits Car, and anything with Mike Patton, CKY, Clutch, Type O Negative, Taproot, Machine Head

PUNK
Billy Talent, Minor Threat, Horrorpops, Wasted Youth, Street Dogs, Time Again

SKA
Streetlight Manifesto, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Big D and the Kids Table, Tip The Van, Mighty Mighty Bosstones

RAP/HIP HOP
Aesop Rock, Bus Driver, Quarashi, Danger Mouse, Gangstarr, R.A. The Rugged Man

ALTERNATIVE/OTHER
The Coral, Blues Traveler, Imogen Heap, Ben Folds, Birthday Massacre

All these plus most of the ones I've seen in the above posts. Except...

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
MattyJ said:
Stop lying they are not under appreciated.

I'm going to say Buckethead and Joe Satriani just because at least where I live most people haven't heard of them outside guitar hero.
Maybe we should start and OVER appreciated artist thread to go along with this one *cough* DragonForce *cough.*

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
I'm confused about Tom Delonge, he's a pretty awful guitarist when you compare him to people who have actually mastered the craft of guitar...Morello comes to mind if you're looking for a good rock comparison.

I'd say that Tom Waits is underrated in general, most people write him off simply because he has a voice that's hard to listen to at first. His music's great

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
wastedyouth89 said:
I'm sorry what? How is Tom Delong underrated. I'm gonna say that considering one of his bands was one of the biggest pop punk bands of all time, he is not underrated. In fact he is overrated. He's not a great guitarist or a great singer. Especially now that he has hit puberty and is still trying to hit those high notes (watch the performance of "All the Small Things" on Leno and you'll get it). Don't get me wrong I like Blink-182 (not so much Angels and Airwaves but whatever) but they are definitely not underrated. If you'd like to say something to defend him than please do so. This is your opinion vs. my opinion after all.
Just because they are well known doesn't make them any less under-rated. Yes, a shit load of people have heard of blink-182, but that doesn't mean blink has EVER been the recipients of any sort of critical praise. Everyone thinks of blink-182 as a joke, which they aren't. They are serious musicians who consistently turn out high quality music and have done so ever since "Cheshire Cat". Then again, I'm talking about blink-182 as a whole, not Tom Delonge personally - Tom is not a good guitar player, and he's a bad singer. But he's a good song writer, and blink-182 as a whole are a really good band; because of that opinion, i feel they are under-rated.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
There are a bunch of New Zealand artists who should be more well known but never will be due to their location.

Main one is Shihad. These guys are fantastic, they're even one of Dave Grohl's favourite bands yet they're practically unknown outside of New Zealand and Australia despite the fact that they've been going for 21 years.