Undue Entitlement: A Growing Issue?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
the hidden eagle said:
Do people even know what entitlement is anymore? Being entitled means you believe somebody owes you something.
No. It does not.

If somebody is entitled then that means they do deserve something.

I am entitled to be paid for the that work I do for my employer.
If I am demanding free DLC then I am acting entitled or have a false sense of entitlement.

If you call somebody entitled then you are in agreement with what they claim to deserve.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
manic_depressive13 said:
ERaptor said:
I absolutely agree on the ME3 thing. People putting around 60 hours into the game and then demand a refund because they didnt like the ending. The stupidity of that notion expands on a lot of other games where people, or Fanboys more adequatly, were unhappy with the direction a games story or its character took. It is, however, not unusual for discussions to escalate into borderline-retarded shitstorms in a matter of days on the Internet. As soon as a train like that gets moving, people will jump on.
I never played Mass Effect because it was boring as fuck, so correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought the outrage was less about disliking the ending, and more about the fans feeling like they had been lied to about the nature of the ending. For example, weren't they promised that there would be at least 7 endings or something, and each one would be based the player's previous choices? To me the ME3 debacle seemed like the developers getting away with misleading advertising. They should have come forward and revised their previous statement, making it clear that there would only be two endings.
That was a part of the issue, yes. As Forbes put it:

The choice to allow players to carry decisions through multiple games has always been what defined Mass Effect. As early as the first game, what made the system of choices so engaging was the promise that every single decision the player made was going to culminate in one giant, magical ending that wrapped up one?s own, personal story of Commander Shepherd and the reapers.

It?s now seeming like it was all setup and no payoff.
Other common complaints about the ending were perceived plotholes, out of character actions, an immersion breaking tonal shift, a hijacking of the central conflict during the climax, failure to adhere to narrative structure (specifically a lack of falling action and/or denouement) and an overall loss of narrative cohesion.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
hermes200 said:
1) Based on your response, I will assume it does.
Well then you've set yourself up to be wrong.

hermes200 said:
2) If I have to review the definition of "entitled", you might want to review the definition of "feature". Multiplayer is a feature, Voice Acting is a feature, being playable is a feature... Having a story that will satisfy 100% of the audience, 100& of the time is not a feature, its a pipe dream. GTA V Online not working was a problem and people should complain about it, Batman Origins having a bug that prevented a lot of people to complete the game was a problem and they should complain about it. Having a problem with the way a story was resolved is an opinion, and while you are free to complain as much as you want, they are free to frame your complains as an opinion.
Having a story is a feature. Stories have endings. Thus, a game with a story that has an incomplete ending has an incomplete feature. Your personal definition of "feature" isn't really interesting to me, since redefining the language is just a sideshow to avoid the real issue of being delivered a product that was incomplete.

Also a sideshow- this "your complains as an opinion" nonsense. It's a rhetorical dismissal with no substance behind it. It's the famous lame comeback from The Big Lebowski. It being the buyer's opinion doesn't stop it from being a valid criticism, and doesn't mean that he is wrong about not getting what he has paid for.

the hidden eagle said:
I'm pretty sure the standard definition of entitlement is that someone believes they are owed something or deserve special priviledges based on their status.For example a rich person may believe he/she is entitled to treat regular people like crap because they believe their status grants them that right.
From Mirriam-Webster:
Entitlement
a : the state or condition of being entitled : right
b : a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract
a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group; also : funds supporting or distributed by such a program
3 belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges

Entitle:
1 to give a title to : designate
2 to furnish with proper grounds for seeking or claiming something

Notice that, even under definition 3 of entitlement, there's nothing in it about the person being necessarily wrong. Entitle (with entitled simply being defined as the past tense of) has no such definition of being a feeling at all.

You're confusing "entitled" with "self-entitled", the later meaning that somebody who has declared themselves entitled to things that they have no business declaring themselves entitled to. It, of course, does not apply to actual paying customers who are simply demanding what was advertised.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
ERaptor said:
I absolutely agree on the ME3 thing. People putting around 60 hours into the game and then demand a refund because they didnt like the ending. The stupidity of that notion expands on a lot of other games where people, or Fanboys more adequatly, were unhappy with the direction a games story or its character took. It is, however, not unusual for discussions to escalate into borderline-retarded shitstorms in a matter of days on the Internet. As soon as a train like that gets moving, people will jump on.
I never played Mass Effect because it was boring as fuck, so correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought the outrage was less about disliking the ending, and more about the fans feeling like they had been lied to about the nature of the ending. For example, weren't they promised that there would be at least 7 endings or something, and each one would be based the player's previous choices? To me the ME3 debacle seemed like the developers getting away with misleading advertising. They should have come forward and revised their previous statement, making it clear that there would only be two endings.
We have a winner!

I was about to post this my self, alot of people have used ME3 as an example of "i dont like the ending so i want a refund" when it was really (for the most part) people complaining about the broken promises they made.

(link to list of things devs said that did not come true http://alizrak.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/the-broken-promises-of-mass-effect-3-spoilers/ )

Ok sure it got out of hand but that doesnt change the fact there is a case of false advertisement here and my god do i hate it when people use the word "entitlement" as an insult against any criticism.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Asita said:
manic_depressive13 said:
ERaptor said:
That was a part of the issue, yes. As Forbes put it:

The choice to allow players to carry decisions through multiple games has always been what defined Mass Effect. As early as the first game, what made the system of choices so engaging was the promise that every single decision the player made was going to culminate in one giant, magical ending that wrapped up one?s own, personal story of Commander Shepherd and the reapers.

It?s now seeming like it was all setup and no payoff.
Other common complaints about the ending were perceived plotholes, out of character actions, an immersion breaking tonal shift, a hijacking of the central conflict during the climax, failure to adhere to narrative structure (specifically a lack of falling action and/or denouement) and an overall loss of narrative cohesion.
To be fair, our choices DID have a impact on the ending. Your war score changed based on what you did in the previous games, if you saved the Rachni you got war score, if you didn't then you'd get negative war score because the Queen the Reapers created was indoctrinated.

It was a cheap way to go about it, it was a stupid way to go about it, but they did make it so your previous decisions affected your ending. And there was more than three endings. They were all the same except for a few color swaps and a few swapped scenes.

People were expecting vastly different endings, but they didn't promise that. It was a scum tactic, but they did provide what they promised.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Soundwave said:
Can we call it dissatisfaction instead of 'entitlement' ?
Yes, most of the time the angry gamers go on about game X being shit and less about "I deserve Y for for no extra charge" and when they do, it's usually asking for patches to buggy games, which IS entitlement, but the right kind.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
hermes200 said:
BloodSquirrel said:
hermes200 said:
You know, you keep coming back at it, but I don't know how Mass Effect 3 equates to "not working properly".

In the case of games and other software products, not working properly means game breaking bugs, it means a game overheating your video card, formatting your disk, locking your OS or simply not running. It does not mean "I didn't like how it turned out".
1) Not everything in his list is about Mass Effect

2) A game doesn't have to be doing damage to your computer to not be working properly. If it's supposed to have X feature, and it doesn't have X feature, then it isn't working properly. And the ending to a very narrative-focused game series is a very important feature- it's not just any random 1% of the game, it's the 1% of the game that is supposed to resolve and put final context on the other 99%. A story is like a air plane flight- it doesn't matter how well 99% of it goes if the last 1% involves a fiery crash.
1) Based on your response, I will assume it does.

2) If I have to review the definition of "entitled", you might want to review the definition of "feature". Multiplayer is a feature, Voice Acting is a feature, being playable is a feature... Having a story that will satisfy 100% of the audience, 100& of the time is not a feature, its a pipe dream. GTA V Online not working was a problem and people should complain about it, Batman Origins having a bug that prevented a lot of people to complete the game was a problem and they should complain about it. Having a problem with the way a story was resolved is an opinion, and while you are free to complain as much as you want, they are free to frame your complains as an opinion.
Except...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

The ending was specifically what Casey Hudson of Bioware claimed it would not be. So in other words, it was supposed to have a specific kind of ending, one that didn't fall under an A, B or C ending.

How the story plays out is ultimately a feature, and in Mass Effect 3s case, the major selling feature. It was advertised as one thing, and what was sold was completely another.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
rumdumconundrum said:
I have to disagree with you guys saying that entitlement doesn't apply here.

From Merriam-Webster:
"Entitlement: the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges)", which would extend to special treatment as well.

Special treatment could be mean that the games industry (or other large body) should bow to a sole person's (or interest group's) will. That just because they don't like something, everyone should just throw everything away to placate them. That includes patches, glitches, prices, writing, etc.
It's amusing, but their posts really just serve to underscore the reality of your post. There is most definitely a growing trend of false entitlement, but it isn't just in gaming culture, it's in modern culture at large. Look at all the stupid lawsuits, look at the backlash over the reasonable request that we ensure people on federal aid don't blow their aid money on drugs, look at the massive number of people in this generation who refuse to take minimum wage jobs. How many of the people on this site would go to a college that didn't offer internet in the dorm rooms? How many expect to be given free cable at college? Look at how many complain about the quality of the food the get from dining halls. Hell, I can't even begin to tell you the times I've seen a student throw a tantrum in public because X fast food chain doesn't accept meal plan. I remember a couple of years ago, my niece, 9 years old but well behaved, and not at all whiny, threw a fit for hours because she was told she couldn't get an iphone for Christmas.

I mean, thinking back to when I was 9, if I had thrown a fit or even been ungrateful for my Christmas presents just because I didn't get a play station, my parents would have taken every gift I got and probably given me a well-deserved spanking besides, and I was spoiled rotten.

The comments booing the OP just go to show that it has become such a big part of our culture that we don't even recognize it anymore. It's gotten completely out of control, and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
Let me pitch in (formatted because ohmygodallthemwords)

that was brought up (the definitive start of "entitlement movement" as I call it):

Bioware advertised ME3 as having an ending that is not A,B,C and heavily dependent on player choices.
Bioware delivered ME3 with A,B,C ending (even aside from the fact it was idiotic)
Thus, false advertising in most basic form :
ad:"product has X" reality: product does not have X.

Granted, fan outrage was very over the fucking top,
but let's be honest -- Mass Effect could become something bigger, and now it probably won't.

Compare with Fallout 3 situation. FO3 has bad ending -> fans demand a change -> Bethesda releases a change.
I am a customer, and game's producer is the seller. I pay for features X,Y,Z. When X,Y,Z is delivered, I should not DEMAND REFUND NAO, because the transaction is valid. However, when those features are not delivered, I, as a paying customer, cannot be ridiculed for demanding my money back.
(There's of course a list of "generic features", that don't have to be stated explicitly, as in: game has to work, not crash every ten minutes, actually deliver the features properly, not in a limited way etc (Skyrim at launch fails here) )

On the other hand, when someone goes on Steam Early Access, buys an alpha game and is bitchy about it not working properly, it of course does not stand, because he has been informed about the state of the product.

Compare with any other product.
Producer offers a vacuum cleaner capable of vacuum cleaning and features blowjobs.
Case 1:
You buy it and find that it does sloppy blowjobs. --> sucks to be you. You can complain, but should not demand refund nao, because it delivers both features.
Case 2:
You buy it, and find that the blowjob feature is not present --> you should demand a refund, as the transaction is not valid.

I cannot wrap my head around some of you guys. I can't complain, because... because of what, exactly? Most of you say that only whiny bitches complain. I have to concede that most vocal complainers are idiots and foul-mouthed people. But just because John is an idiot, that means I cannot complain? What kind of an argument is that?!

Furthermore, the 'constructive criticism' rhetoric. You can't seriously expect everyone to suddenly start writing essays on what is wrong and how it should be improved, let's be serious! No one bothers with "game was boring" complaints, but I have the right to say that it was boring, that I did not like it, without the need to write a book about my feelings. What if I don't like a game... just because? I can't find joy in it, and I don't know why? I am a customer, not company's tester for fuck's sake.

And why exactly are game producers to be excluded from complaints? Are they holy people with no flaws?

John states that he watched a movie and found it to be boring. <- this is acceptable
John states that he played game X and found it to be boring <- 'whiny ***** entitled fuck' reactions, while that reaction should be reserved to:
John states that he played game X, and found it to be boring. He immediately proceeds to demand a refund, even though he cannot point out any objective flaws in the product. <- THIS is an entitled ***** (bonus points for being a rude, spoiled kid). Of course, he just hopes to get a free ride.

While I am in the pro-DLC camp, as I like inexpensive, frequent expansions, I can understand and concede that old days were better in this regard. General logic was (not exact numbers ofc)

Game release $50
Expansion pack release $25
And expansion pack was along the lines of XCOM: Enemy Within DLC, or bigger.

Now the logic is:
Game release $50 + day 1 DLC $10
1-3 DLCs important for the story $20ea.
Cosmetic DLCs $5ea.
(optionally microtransactions, but I won't count it because they didn't matter that much in any game I played)

While day 1 DLC is something I oppose (if only because it's rude as hell... they can wait at least a week, seriously), in the other cases, one has to understand that production of games nowadays is much, much more expensive than it was (not judging if for the right reasons), thus games need to be more expensive... and noone will buy a game containing all that content, at one time, for $120-$150. It decreases the budget limitations of the customer base, because it's easier to fork out $5 a month, than to shell out $120 at one given time.

Comparison between a freemium game (let's say - Warthunder) to a paid game is necessary.
Warthunder generates costs (servers, updates, websites etc) while it is offered for free. Player may opt to throw some money towards the developer, in exchange for certain privileges. It's a healthy practice, IMO, as long as it doesn't lead to Pay2Win situations (a'la World of Tanks or Planetside 2).
Now, a paid game -- I already gave my money for the product that is the game. I should not be required to pay more, in order to play the game that I bought (fe. pay $5 to get the key to this door, that will lead you to next area). As I said before - I have not, personally, met such a game. I am just theorising here.

This is a big one. Skyrim(just an example) was downright unplayable for the first days after release, so was Oblivion and a lot of other games. However, one should understand that the more features the product offers, the more prone it will be to failure. And it really is applicable to any product, not only games. It is also not financially possible for any company, save maybe Microsoft, to test for every possible bug the program might have.
ON THE OTHER HAND. The games are _notoriously_ released in a buggy state, if not simply unworkable. That entitles us(see what i did thar?) to complaining - why didn't you say, Mr Seller, that I am not buying a finished product? Had you said so, I wouldn't mind (case in point: Steam Early Access, various Kickstarters) or would have waited with the purchase.
Technically speaking, Skyrim's release was a fraud, as they were selling non-functional product.
Comparison:
John buys a Mercedes, on his way home, he notices that rear left window does not open. He returns to Mercedes and demands a refund/replacement/fix NOW. <--this is acceptable. Also, demands are met immediately, not "when there's time"
John buys a ballpen. On his way home, he notices the ballpen does not write. He returns to shop and demands replacement.<-- also acceptable, and fixed on the spot.

John buys a game. The game crashes on start. John demands fix. -- The fix "will be done when it's done".
John is not satisfied with the company and demands refund <-- "whiny ***** can't wait for fix omg"

1. ME3 ending complaints were justified, their tone however was inacceptable
2. A game is a product, produced and advertised to be sold. As a customer, I have a right to demand some sort of recompense for lacking features and/or other mistakes on the producer's side.
3. As a paying customer, I have the right to point out the flaws of the product I bought, without fear of mockery.
4. DLC exists because games aren't as cheap to make as they used to be. Thus, DLC is not the problem, costs are.
5. Microtransaction seriously affecting gameplay have no place in paid-for games
6. Buggy releases are a problem wtih communication. Had Skyrim(example) been released as some kind of Early Access(preferably with lower price, as it is not the final state of the game), it would not be immoral to sell such product.

The entitlement/complaints are not the problem, the Internet (broadly speaking) is. Complaints made by spoiled kids and rude idiots are what created the gamer image - the entitled child/brat, demanding God knows what, thus leading to company policies being as dismissive as they would be towards such kids.

The DLC is not the problem - the ever-increasing costs of making a game nowadays are the problem. That's why indie developers are thriving - they don't require Hollywood voices, ultra-realistic looks and music from Heavens themselves.
However! (there is always a but), series such as Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Battlefield, prove to industry that this is the right direction for business - it turns in a big profit. Indie games also show that this is the right direction for a single man, or a few people to make a living.
Who said there's only one way, right?

And the problem on the other side of the fence, is that game IS a product. Of course, it can be a work of art, but art encompasses almost anything today. Who says that a piece of art cannot be sold? But when it goes on sale, it becomes a product, and is liable to all the laws and rules of being such. (definition of art - the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination).

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
For me the most recent example of seeming entitlement was the DoTA Diretide situation. I don't play DoTA but from what I gather there wasn't even an announcement that the event would not be happening this year. I'm not sure if at some point though between last year and this year they promised it. So that will be the deciding factor I suppose. If they did promise it and then didn't deliver its one thing. It is another thing to suggest that it should happen even if they never said a word about it just for that fact that they did it the previous year. Anyway fans pissed and moaned and even got the car company Volvo drawn into it. Heck you gotta give Volvo props for thinking on their feet and siding with and giving their "support" to the Diretide fanboys. I mean what did Volvo do to have raging internet dwellers come knocking at their door? I'm not sure ultimately how it turned out. If Valve did Diretide this year or not. However to me this came off as fanboy entitlement. It also didn't help I bet that Riot went full steam ahead with their very first Halloween event called "The Harrowing" this year.

I even just got into a spat with my friend over this very thing last night and the idiot sided with the raging fanboys. For me personally I was just trying to make a joke or something about the whole situation and point out how ridiculous the whole fiasco with the DoTA fans was in the end but he surprisingly took me at face value, then proceeded to defend their actions and get all serious about it. Even with Mass Effect 3 because I brought that up and he pretty much had the same opinion as everyone who was pissed off about the ending. All gamer communities have bad eggs and sure we may even get pissed off when certain franchises do certain things that upset us but I'd like to think that we could admit when we are acting like self entitled brats.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Cecilo said:
To be fair, our choices DID have a impact on the ending. Your war score changed based on what you did in the previous games, if you saved the Rachni you got war score, if you didn't then you'd get negative war score because the Queen the Reapers created was indoctrinated.

It was a cheap way to go about it, it was a stupid way to go about it, but they did make it so your previous decisions affected your ending. And there was more than three endings. They were all the same except for a few color swaps and a few swapped scenes.

People were expecting vastly different endings, but they didn't promise that. It was a scum tactic, but they did provide what they promised.
^Bingo.
The word I see used to describe this is usually "misdirection", which in this context is different from "lie".

A falsehood isn't technically a lie (absolute falsehood) if requisite truths technically exist within it.
Even if the outcome is far less desirable than what was "expected".
Analogous to the old myths of those dealing with an evil Djinni, who takes a desire and twists it into an undesired outcome.

Wherever there is room for interpretation, there's room for misdirection, and boy does AAA exploit it.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
rumdumconundrum said:
Vylox said:
The difference between paying $60 for a game that also has micro transactions and a FREE game that has them is pretty cut and clear.
I'm not against micro transactions, I'm just against them in games that have purchase prices already.
The micro transaction system is used as a way for the developers and publishers to make money from the game that they provide free of charge. Games that have an initial purchase price have already made the money, so it isn't necessary itself.
Again, not complaining about micro transactions themselves, just them being in games that already have an initial purchase price.
I see your point there. Granted, I feel like people go crazy any time the price of a game goes up (whether by poor planning or simple programming cost increases), so sometimes I can see their reasoning for doing this. Also, those microtransactions are almost always completely optional.
Even if they are "optional" your still getting bugged for money whether you like it or not. Thats not optional. And its disgusting in a full priced game.

I noticed the other day that Call of duty Black ops was more expensive that ghosts ($100 to $90) in this country. Not to meantion how high the base costs are in the first place. Its friggen nuts. Especially considering call of duty is basically multiplayer only (or the single player isnt worth mentioning)

GladiatorUA

Jun 1, 2013
Once again I find whining about whining even more obnoxious than actual whining.
There is nothing wrong with complaining. There is nothing wrong with wanting wanting a refund. There is nothing wrong with demanding a refund.
Threats and harassment are wrong. Not learning a lesson when you don't get a refund is stupid.
Bleeding hearts are annoying and should find something else to do.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
KazeAizen said:
For me the most recent example of seeming entitlement was the DoTA Diretide situation. I don't play DoTA but from what I gather there wasn't even an announcement that the event would not be happening this year. I'm not sure if at some point though between last year and this year they promised it. So that will be the deciding factor I suppose. If they did promise it and then didn't deliver its one thing. It is another thing to suggest that it should happen even if they never said a word about it just for that fact that they did it the previous year. Anyway fans pissed and moaned and even got the car company Volvo drawn into it. Heck you gotta give Volvo props for thinking on their feet and siding with and giving their "support" to the Diretide fanboys. I mean what did Volvo do to have raging internet dwellers come knocking at their door? I'm not sure ultimately how it turned out. If Valve did Diretide this year or not. However to me this came off as fanboy entitlement. It also didn't help I bet that Riot went full steam ahead with their very first Halloween event called "The Harrowing" this year.
The Diretide situation could have been easily prevented with some communication. If Valve had released a blog post saying that there would be no (or delayed) Diretide because they were working on a huge update, the whole thing would have blown over. If Valve talked to their fans about Diretide, they may have realized that people really liked that event, were expecting it, they could have delayed the big update in favor of releasing Diretide.

The thing to understand is, Valve has no PR. Getting any information out of that company is a frustrating experience (see Half Life), and yelling seems to be the only way to get them to respond at all. And in defense of the 'Diretide fanboys,' the whole give Diretide thing was pretty tongue-in-cheek, although it did get a bit extreme.

Also, Volvo actually really seemed to like this whole deal, as it got them a lot of free traffic and posts on their Facebook page.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
thatonedude11 said:
The Diretide situation could have been easily prevented with some communication. If Valve had released a blog post saying that there would be no (or delayed) Diretide because they were working on a huge update, the whole thing would have blown over. If Valve talked to their fans about Diretide, they may have realized that people really liked that event, were expecting it, they could have delayed the big update in favor of releasing Diretide.

The thing to understand is, Valve has no PR. Getting any information out of that company is a frustrating experience (see Half Life), and yelling seems to be the only way to get them to respond at all. And in defense of the 'Diretide fanboys,' the whole give Diretide thing was pretty tongue-in-cheek, although it did get a bit extreme.

Also, Volvo actually really seemed to like this whole deal, as it got them a lot of free traffic and posts on their Facebook page.
There is no way I could defend any of that behavior. It was unacceptable. Of course Volvo liked it because they got a bunch of free publicity. Still the fact remains the fans over reacted and acted like a bunch of babies over not getting something that wasn't even promised to them in the first place. It was all unacceptable.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
There is a war between the gamer culture and the publishers/dev's. It may not seem like a war, but it is there. Gamers (not as a whole, but in part and loud enough to be recognized) seem to believe that a dev must make games exactly the way the "customer" wants. In essence the "customer is always right" angle. Dev's make games, sometimes they don't have all the time they need, or the budget to put things in that they want to (indie studios have an easier time at this). Sometimes they make poor decisions that make an otherwise stellar game disappointing. Disappointment can lead to rage, which leads to hate, which can lead to "YOU OWE ME CUZ I PAID!!!"

I feel that buying a game comes with a connotation that you don't always know what you're getting because of the whole "mystery box" feel of a first playthrough. If the game functions and is able to be finished, then by definition its a whole product, even if it has glitches. Publishers support these games with patches, which isn't exactly a new concept but a wholly more deliverable concept. But in no way shape or form are you guaranteed to enjoy your experience or have fun. Those feelings are not quantifiable, and therefore don't really give a customer solid ground to demand more. Its when you have games like the WarZ or Aliens: Colonial Marines, when you get into an area where customer paid for something that definitively wasn't delivered or was misled about said product. But ME3's ending doesn't fit.

I'm also of the mind that the hostility toward dev's/pub's is a direct catalyst for MORE animosity between the two and without diplomacy, it will spiral downward.
Also customers in general think they're special because they paid for something...