United Kingdom Privilege (NSFW)

TheSlothOverlord

Mar 20, 2013
I've always thought that Ireland is where people are always really angry.
I'm not sorry for making that pun!

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
BareHope said:
So...is there a reason there's one of the traditional symbols for homosexual love in the background of the last panel?

Just asking.
What? The rainbow?

Because the rainbow had a fuckload of meanings before it ever had any significance to gay folks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbows_in_culture

EDIT: Though I can see where you get the gay angle from.

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
Fuck U.K. privilege, lets talk about warrior class privilege. I just spent a whole weekend of my life at a local nerd con (anime, video games, comics etc) and could not believe the amount of privilage thrown around! Uhh.

Everywhere I looked there were swords swords swords and the ocassional shield. All the costumes had swords and most of the vendors sold swords. Every time I tried to bring up buffs into the conversation I was told "Dude, I don't worry about those things." Why must all these shitlord warrior classes oppress the supports. I felt extremely oppressed as I could not find a single staff at any of the vendors. The warrior class shitlords are the first to blame the support when something goes wrong and the first to cut us out of credit when it is due.

So mad right now I cannot even...

(For those wondering, I did actually go to a con and I did give this speech there. It was a hit so I thought I'd share it here in a relevant forum.)

OT(just in case)
In my experience this comic speaks truth

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Jandau said:
RJ 17 said:
Also, the smug prick downside is lessened if the language you're using is your mother tongue - you're not being smug, you're simply falling back on your default language in the heat of the moment :p
Fair enough on that point. Though whenever someone says something in another language - especially if the tone of their voice is angry - I always respond with "DID YOU JUST PUT A CURSE ON ME?! STOP THROWING THOSE VOODOO JIBBER-JABS AT ME!" :3

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
BareHope said:
So...is there a reason there's one of the traditional symbols for homosexual love in the background of the last panel?

Just asking.
Grey is subliminally showing how tsundere he is for Gav

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Huh. With the NSFW-comment, I thought we'd get more, uncensored double-dick Erin or something. Now I'm not sure whether I'm disappointed or not. As for whether "****" is NSFW, I kind of doubt it is? I mean, it's a word? NSFW - to me, at least - implies very visibly inappropriate content (like double-dicks), something that a boss or coworker would pick up on at a mere glance. You'd have to actually read the comic to notice the word, though.

FavouredEnemy

Oct 16, 2007
I am not certain that using upsetting language is acceptable just because of any given privilege.

That is kind of the point about privilege. You are in the privileged position of not being upset by it.

Plenty of UK folks I know would be annoyed by using the word. Now I know it's (unintentionally) upsetting for other people, I avoid using it.

Is that really such an important privilege to keep?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, the C-word is the UKs counterpart to the US F-Word... bleeped out in "child friendlier" things, but otherwise fine.
At least as far as I am aware. Then again, also as far as I am aware, brishish and australian accent is either almost swear-free or they're using swearing as replacement for commas. And because it's only what I am aware of and not what it actually is, nobody really cares about this if is indeed a brit saying it. (And also because it sounds a bit funny if heared VERY rarely - at least in my opinion)

Either way, it's the sole reason I love british accents.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Oy, why not a Bobby checkin' dem passports, eh?!
Buncha fannies! (jus' tryin' out da exclusive word, mates)

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Keep ya c-word, in the US, we like too branch out with our words, ya mouth-breathin, cousin-fuckin, knuckle-draggin, douche canoe...umerica
(if you didnt read that with a Boston accent, you're doing wrong)

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
sageoftruth said:
As an American with no fondness for words like those, I consider it a privilege.
Check your privilege, ****.

OT: Surprised nobody has caused genuine uproar yet about this comic seemingly implying that Ireland is part of the UK.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Tatsuki said:
Shocksplicer said:
Oi cunts, you saying Aussies aren't allowed to say ****?
We say it a shitload more than you bloody Poms do.
Yea I agree and I'm a fully fledged cunting Brit. A prime **** as it were.
But the Aussies have natural talents because we sent the most cunting cunts to that cuntish rock and left them.

God we Brits did some awful shit... sorry cunting shit, and seem to historically get a free pass compared to other nations. It must be the accent.

Fun tip: Most British people don't have the stereotypical British accent until they think they may get a free drink or there is an attractive potential mate about.

Probably something to do with our contribution to beating Jerry in WW2. Gave up the Empire to do that; and since then bits have been given up rather amicably. So yeah, pretty much dicks in building it up, but relatively reasonable in breaking it down again.

That being said...yeah the accent probably helps.

Anyway as for the Aussies, yeah the officially get a pass on it too.

Captcha: "lucky you" That's rather sardonic, captcha.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
FavouredEnemy said:
Is that really such an important privilege to keep?
Well, when it comes to offending people who are just looking for a reason to be offended, I hold my national right to use certain words very dearly.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
I really like that so far, the only thing that has offended people in the comments is the notion that an Irishman is "British". And he's not. You ****. (And thank you very much for creating the first ever thread were one could write something like that without penalty, as I'm clearly just continuing the joking theme...)

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Absimilliard said:
I really like that so far, the only thing that have offended people in the comments is the notion that an Irishman is "British". And he's not. You ****.
That and the "British Isles" thing are the only two types of bait guaranteed to work with Irish people on the internet.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
An Ceannaire said:
Absimilliard said:
I really like that so far, the only thing that have offended people in the comments is the notion that an Irishman is "British". And he's not. You ****.
That and the "British Isles" thing are the only two types of bait guaranteed to work with Irish people on the internet.
And I'm just partly Irish...

And just to be clear, Webster defines "British" as "The people of Great Britain or the Commonwealth of Nations". (I.e. not someone from the British Isles, like the people of Ireland or Northern Ireland, the latter of which is in the UK (for the time being), not GB.)

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Just throwing it out there, but I think you'll find us Aussies have got even more of a right to use the word then you poms do. Fuckin' cunts.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Jandau said:
RJ 17 said:
Also, the smug prick downside is lessened if the language you're using is your mother tongue - you're not being smug, you're simply falling back on your default language in the heat of the moment :p
Fair enough on that point. Though whenever someone says something in another language - especially if the tone of their voice is angry - I always respond with "DID YOU JUST PUT A CURSE ON ME?! STOP THROWING THOSE VOODOO JIBBER-JABS AT ME!" :3
...to which I would respond with "Yes, I did just put a curse on you, and if you ask nicely, I'll tell you if the curse will require you to wear diapers or not" :D