Unpopular gaming opinions

cgmetallica1981

Mar 15, 2010
Eddie the head said:
Wow 11 pages. Just because your opinion is unpopular doesn't mean it's valid in any way.
Nobody claimed their opinion was valid because it was unpopular. This post is completely irrelevant.

On topic, I feel that the majority of my opinions go against the consensus, but here is one I feel strongly about:
I think that Fallout: New Vegas is better than Fallout 3, and the only people who would disagree are people who have never played one of the original two. I feel that the story, characters, overall writing, atmosphere, ambiance, mechanics and more are all done better by Obsidian in New Vegas, especially the writing. It also had much better add-ons. Many will argue Fallout 3 had a much better atmosphere, but while it is good, it completely missed the atmosphere of a Fallout game. New Vegas hit it right on the spot. I liked Fallout 3's radio a bit more though, but I think the ambient music in New Vegas, some of which are from the first two games, is a lot better. I also like the exploration in New Vegas more, but there's a lot of places in Fallout 3 that are a lot more interesting than some in New Vegas.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
ffs-dontcare said:
I liked Final Fantasy 8 more than 7.
I'M NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst we're on the subjec of FF - I loved FFX-2, FFXIII, and FFXIII-2.

There have been no other Kingdom Hearts games aside from those on the PS2.

Zelda games should never have been cell-shaded.

DA:O is far better than TES:O.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
-Snippidy Snip-
No, I'm aware, but I find this explanation equally annoying. It's such an important detail to leave so vague and in my opinion being non-commital about such a vital aspect is just another sign that they didn't really take the character seriously.

[sub] I have a lot of strong feelings about portal 2[/sub]

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I like Iron Sights or ADS or whatever you want to call it.

I think the various COD games are actually pretty good. The first modern warfare was genuinely brilliant, and the rest are still good fun as exhilarating, shallow joyrides. The legions of clones are tiresome though.

I think Dark Souls may actually be too easy because it scales horribly, and you can out-level everything.

I like Peter Molyneux (is that unpopular?) and Fable 2 is my favourite of the series.

Moviebob is right about most things, including Splice and Sucker Punch.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
someonehairy-ish said:
I think the various COD games are actually pretty good. The first modern warfare was genuinely brilliant, and the rest are still good fun as exhilarating, shallow joyrides. The legions of clones are tiresome though.
I think that they're fun. It just scares me that COD seems to be the standard in this industry where everything else that tries can outperform it, but no.

I think Dark Souls may actually be too easy because it scales horribly, and you can out-level everything.
I thought Dark Souls was easy because of that too. I also have a tendency to subconsciously learn the game very well, and the only thing that Dark Souls did was force me to actively learn the game. It wasn't hard after I realized that and the value of patience.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Now that I look at it, you're right. That's quite a unique outlook on the Wii. I kept mine as I was waiting for a developer to get motion controls right besides Nintendo.

We need more people like you working in the game industry.

OT- I have no idea whether I posted before. But I say this:

There is no such thing as a "hardcore" game. It's all casual until someone frames it to be hardcore.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
The best game from Gearbox Software is Duke Nukem Forever.

On the subject of Duke Nukem, the character himself is far more engaging and entertaining than the vast majority of protagonists hailed as "iconic". I'd rather play as Duke than an illiterate eunuch in a green dress, that's for goddamn sure.

Metroid Prime 3 was the death knell for the series. All Other M did was bury it in that much more rancid shit.

Nier is the best game of the current generation.

The World Ends with You is one of the worst titles published by Square-Enix.

"Tacked-on" multiplayer modes usually change a game for the better. More content is good. Period.

Nintendo won't be relevant in the industry again outside of its niche until Shigeru Miyamoto retires or dies. He is one of the most harmful individuals in the industry today.

Peter Molyneux is a pretty cool guy.

Mass Effect was really well-written, but in terms of gameplay it left much to be desired. The quality of the writing didn't diminish at all for the sequel(it actually got a bit better), and it cemented that Mass Effect as a franchise is far more adept in the realm of shooters than of role-playing games.

A good example of a third-person shooter/RPG hybrid that worked better than Mass Effect would be Alpha Protocol.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Fallout 3 was the better than New Vegas.
The Prime games in the Metroid series are better than the 2D games (Yes, this is a thing in the Metroid fanbase).
I hate anime (Save for Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle).
I hate mange (Save for none).
I haven't played it, but I am not interested in the slightest by the Half-Life series.
Skyward Sword > Twilight Princess > Wind Waker > Ocarina of Time
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was a good game.
Other M had an interesting story idea (But everything else sucked).
The Dark Knight Rises > The Dark Knight > Batman Begins.
I like using Ironsights.
The first Resident Evil was bad (Control Scheme made me rage quit).
iPhone > Galaxy SIII.
iPhone > Galaxy Note (x100 on this one).
Games about movies can be good (King Kong, Spiderman 2).
Pokemon Black/White 2 was an utter bore.
Dear Esther was good.
Linear =/= Bad.
Moviebob is severely overrated.
Left 4 Dead 2 was good.
No, valve was not evil for releasing L4D2 a only a year after the first.
The War Z is good.

Okay that last one is a lie.

Royal King

Dec 7, 2010
Opinions, opinions. Ok...

Yukes (and by extention, THQ) are kings of milking their fanbase. You need look no further than the WWE wrestling games. Features one year are removed to become "new" features next year.

Companies like THQ wouldn't be in trouble if they didn't make crap games. For example, stop cloning your own game (Company of Heroes) and calling it something new (Warhammer 40K).

FO: New Vegas > FO3.

Call of Duty, Madden, and the aforementioned WWE games are typically indistinguishable from year to year. Assassin's Creed gets a pass, because Assassin's Creed is fun.

Co-op Vs. AI mode in League of Legends is far more entertaining than Normal or Ranked matches.

Saints Row 2 > Saints Row 3

Dishonored should be GoTY.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
blazearmoru said:
I find league of legends shallow and the game imbalanced due to how it's mechanics interact with each other. Definitely a minority here... @_@
If you're in high ELO where everyone is amazing then yes it is pretty imbalanced because there are some champions who are just plain better than others. However, if you are in gold or lower ELO (like most people) pretty much any champion is fair game. Some champions are just easier to play than others so they give the illusion of being OP in low ELO when they might actually not be considered very good in high ELO where everyone can play their champions very well.

OT: I don't find Half Life 2 to be all that special. It just didn't wow me like it did so many others.

I actually think Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game and it would be my GOTY if it weren't for Borderlands 2.

I didn't find The Walking Dead to be as amazing as a lot of other people seem to think. The Walking Dead is barely a game and even though I enjoyed the story, it all felt really pointless and might as well have been a movie considering how little your choices actually matter.

I though Journey was good but not great. The game was really awesome but waaaay too short. I hold replay value very high and Journey fell very short in that category for me. For me, truly amazing games are ones that I am still playing years later.

LOLITRON

Sep 15, 2012
I find the Half Life series way overrated. I get that Half Life 1 brought story and voice acting to FPS and that Half Life 2 had a good physics engine (for the time). However, in the end I think it's just a shitty FPS with really bad AI. I think the only reason Half Life 3 hasn't come out is because they don't have some big revolutionary thing to put in it and it'll end up just being an average FPS.

I'd also have to add Bioshock to my list of overrated games. I thought the story was cool and it was kind of fun, but it pretty much just ripped off the Half Life engine and added a magical powers (a lot of which were pretty useless).

Also, all these indie games aren't that good. I played World of Goo and thought it was fun, but it was pretty easy and forgettable. Same with Limbo; I played it for a few days thinking it would go somewhere and then just got bored and never finished it.

Oh God, and Minecraft. Thought it was the most boring game I've ever played. Guess it's just not my thing.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Lets see...

The Mass effect 3 ending is the single greatest ending of any game ever?
Gamers have a responsibility to protect and defend gaming?
Gamers adversely effect all gamers by their irresponsible choices or inaction?
Games are allowed to service a specific niche, and do not actually have to cater to less dedicated gamers?

perhaps more later?

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
Video Games can never ever be an art form
Video Games are the sole reason why there's global warming and communism
Gamers are self entitled c*nts

corneth

Apr 19, 2011
I think that Sonic is an annoying little shit.

EDIT:

I don't see the point in 99% of turn-based RPGs, just seems like doing a really boring job to me
WoW looks terrible, is painfully repetitive, and is essentially a Skinner's Box in a game's clothing
Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter both suck
Labeling yourself a "nerd" or "hardcore gamer" just shows that you're a Self-important arrogant asshole

eevangoh

Sep 4, 2011
I couldn't give a shit about Zelda, Mario, Kirby or any of that stuff. It's probably because to most Americans (and thus most of the gaming culture, apparently), the 90s meant Nintendo, while in my country it was mostly PC. Since I see no nostalgic value in Mario, I just find it dull, repetitive and overall an ultimate example of a cash-cow zombie franchise.

And, like I've said in every other thread like it, I actually liked Kane & Lynch 2. And Driv3r. Come to think of it, I probably don't have the best taste when it comes to games.

THeFraz

Oct 31, 2011
I'm not really enjoying Psychonauts that much. I wish I was, but... I guess I don't find it that funny, and the characters aren't that engaging. However, I'm not that far into it, so I can't say anything definite as of now.

I do not like Bioshock that much. I understand its artistic importance to the medium, and its use of mechanics as metaphor was brilliant, but the gameplay is just really unenjoyable. All the missions are fetch quests pretty much, and the shooting/powers aren't all that fun to use.

Innocent Flower

Oct 8, 2012
Skyrim is a wreck and todd howard needs to be castrated with fungus.
I should be in charge for Tes 6 (and likely 7,8,9,10 etc)
Valve should put some effort into day of defeat.

Darkbladex96

Jan 25, 2011
someonehairy-ish said:
I like Iron Sights or ADS or whatever you want to call it.

I like Peter Molyneux (is that unpopular?) and Fable 2 is my favourite of the series.

Moviebob is right about most things, including Splice and Sucker Punch.
-Black Ops II is bloodly excellent. It actually has a fun story, and the things you do and see in its campaign are entertaining. It tries new things and does them well enough he'll you input changes elements in the story. This game is the direction future CoDs should be moving in. But because its CoD its just instantly got shat on and called a copied PoS. and the fact that Treyarch made it makes it worse despite that fact that Treyarch makes the more solid, balanced, and risque CoDs.

-Dark Souls is too easy, the only thing that keeps the challenge is that some attacks are just programmed to take X% of life. Not to mention the piss pour AI, which is praised for complexity. Yet this intelligent AI was thwarted by me holding block and strafing right for 60 hours.

- Moviebob is amazing and I agree with almost everything he says.

---------------

Now for my opinion.

People think that final Fantasy 12 was the worst, but in my opinion it was one of the best. Many of the people who say they don't like the game cant even tell me who the main character was. This was one of the first FF games where the conflict was remotely relatable to. The protagonist party wasn't made up of rainbow colored space ninja alien gods in disguise and the game had a bunch of content. People tell me there was nothing to do in that game and I say, so you got all of the summon and did every hunt? They look at me like herr whats a hunt?

They hated the combat system, but its the same system as X-2 except you can move. People love dragon ages combat, but FF12 was the game that put a gambit system in the market for real.

They complain that the license board lets you make a bunch of do all copy characters...but they ignore that the characters have individual base stats and weapon preferences...Sure you could just max everything out, or you could use your brain and learn what they are good with. I wonder how may people know that Fran is bad with a bow and mediorce at magic?

You know I'm still trying to fight through the umbra levels in that game...