Unskippable: Final Fantasy XII

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Good episode.
It seems to me as if the episodes with cutscenes originating from Japan often turn out the funniest.

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
HUBILUB said:
yanals7 said:
First!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The banhammer is going down on you.

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

OT: I never get tired of Unskippable, they should do commentary for full games.
These guys get banned so many times, that it's pointless of you to tell them that they're gonna get banned.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
rayman 101 said:
HUBILUB said:
yanals7 said:
First!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The banhammer is going down on you.

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

OT: I never get tired of Unskippable, they should do commentary for full games.
These guys get banned so many times, that it's pointless of you to tell them that they're gonna get banned.
I know, but I like to gloat.

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
1. Seymour has unreasonable hair...Game Informer named him #2 in the Worst Haircut List
2. The bunny people are called the Viera (if I recall correctly).
3. I bet if more JRPGs had more zombies and musclebound space marines, they wouldn't get such hate around here. Oh...and more chest high walls. Can't forget those.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I almost though you weren't going to mention Russel for a second. I like how you manage to have recurring characters in a series composed entirely of cutscenes from completely unrelated games. Eyebrows and the Thugs need to make a return.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
Strife2GFAQs said:
1. Seymour has unreasonable hair...Game Informer named him #2 in the Worst Haircut List
2. The bunny people are called the Viera (if I recall correctly).
3. I bet if more JRPGs had more zombies and musclebound space marines, they wouldn't get such hate around here. Oh...and more chest high walls. Can't forget those.
I find that most rpg's have some sort of zombie. You don't normally find a space marine in a fantasy setting unless you are playing Star Ocean. Muscles on an rpg character are not that common. Barret from ff7 is about the most muscle bound character you will find in a jrpg. I'm sure you are talking about Gears of War, a world where everyone is ridiculously muscled for no particularly good reason. The viera are the bunny girls, and the little bunny people are the tactics advanced version of the moogle.

The hero of the story is definately Balthier. He's like 30 years old. Vaan does have a weak personality, but at least more is done for him than penelope. This game may seem to have alot of star wars references, but that is because it's based off of ff4, which was mostly taken from star wars. It's a fun enough game. I was really surprised when they ditched their normal set of espers and went with a new set. Ivalice hasn't been my favorite game setting since they moved to the GB for tactics advanced and introduced the retarded judge system.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Wow.. Major kudos to Graham for sticking up for the show! It's not like there's a vendetta of JRPG's on Unskippable. Yahtzee's the one who really hates them, and really, with good reason.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a Final Fantasy fan (not fanBOY, but fan), but I know enough to understand that JRPG's have a lot to learn from the RPG genre.

Thankfully, FFXIII looks extremely promising to be kickass, as well as FFXIV showing FFXI who's the *****.

To Graham and Paul's credit, FFXII was a great choice for Unskippable! I mean, really, half-way through the creation of the game, one of the lead designers went insane and resigned, leaving it to the guy who made Final Fantasy II (wherein the male lead character dreams of a world of FLOWERS) decided to change FFXII so that Vaan was the lead, not Basch. Here's the thing, Vaan's storyline basically drops to nothing mid-way through. o_O So.. Uh.. Yeah.
Awesome work as usual, GS and PS!

-Hileict

Axeli

Jun 16, 2004
ravensshade said:
Axeli said:
"du-dudududu-du-du-duu-..."

And yes, FFXII ripped Star Wars so bloody lot. Biggs and Wedge just weren't enough anymore...
you do know they were whistling the chocobo song from one of the earlier final fantasies? atleast i think they were
Well, yes. What suggest I don't?

(The word "and" in te beginning of a sentence usually implies changing the subject, if the SW comment is what you are getting at. Nothing to add to the chocobo theme song.)

Ryan_26

Aug 3, 2009
That was a great episode guys, "okay can you see the giant chicken I'm riding too? I dropped acid earlier and I'm just checking. It's great to see games that I've played be made fun of too. "Hello ladies; wait are they bunnies? I'm actually okay with that."

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I love that someone says this every time we do a JRPG, no matter how many other games we do.
Paul and I honestly joke about how long it'll take for someone to say it. Page 4 is a new record actually, usually it's much sooner.

Too Human? Borderlands? Riddick? Prototype? Red Faction?
No no, we only make fun of Japanese games, clearly.
And thats what Im saying when you guys do make fun of those games people tend to enjoy it more. Its just you guys do a bunch of Jrpgs that no one has heard of and while they are funny, its us not really knowing much about the material, so we can't relate.

PS. I also appreciate that you do look at our feedback, sorry if I seem like a whiney B***h

mawk

Nov 5, 2009
"this is very important! can you see the chicken I'm riding on, too? I dropped acid earlier, and I don't know what's going on!"

that line was just amazing. nice job again, you guys.

funny that they chose the twelfth installment to give their magic any sort of chant, even if it is only that one spell, and only in cutscenes.

magic always rhymes. who knew?

personally, I don't find that the obscurity of the game they're reviewing really affects the experience for me. I know what to expect from the cutscene itself, of course, but the humour itself is relatively free of context dependency.

then again, it is sort of fun contrasting my first thoughts on the cutscene with their commentary.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
dalek sec said:
Aptspire said:
Did I hear "Army of bunny girls"?
Because I think I heard "Army of Bunny Girls"
What series is this?
Umineko No Naku Koro Ni, it has a pretty good "(dis)prove the witch's existance" plotline (though that starts around ep 5)

abgaxel

Sep 22, 2009
Ah, Final Fantasy 12, you rascally devil. A six minute cutscene of death and war, a tutorial level, then everyone dies, the game shakes the etch-a-sketch, and you get to play for reals in a completely different game. All the while it smugly pokes and nudges you going "oh, it's all tied together, wait and see, I was planning it all along, cuz I'm so smart."

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Loved it, great as always. Could we see a Kingdom Hearts one at some point to tie in with this, please? And that's coming from an FF/KH fan... But yeah, great video and I loved the 'Acid' bit too :D

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
Turtle neck armour? Bunny rabbits? Giant chickens? Flying shoes?

lol, Final Fantasy games are so stupid looking.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Apparently Final Fantasy games really are ripping off Star Wars. *reference to Dirge of Cerberus episode*

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Aw, you didn't mention how all the knights fighters were shaped like horse heads, like it's some x-treme version of future chess.