Unskippable: Folklore

fogmike

Jul 31, 2009
Game for those unfamiliar: two characters, Ellen and Keats. You play the story through as both of them - first seperately, then together. During this you explore first the village of Doolin, and secondly the underworld and its different levels. Creatures inhabit the underworld, known as 'Folk'. By beating them up, Ellen and Keats can capture them, which allows them to then use them in combat. E.g. one folk is more or less 'tap square to hit people, tap repeatedly for combos'. One folk might be a shield. One might fly around and drop poison/glue on enemies, etc. It was quite fun, in a curious twisted way. Had a slight pokemon feel to it (catch em'all)

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
ssgt splatter said:
Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue what's going on?
Man, I had LESS than no idea what I just saw.

And yes, how CAN you explain "the corners of the Earth" when the Earth is spherical?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Three things:

1. "I'm tired now" totally made me snarf.

2. CROWSPLOSION!

3. Folklore is actually a fantastic game, not that you'd know from this cutscene.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Never heard of this game but it actually looks rather intresting...

This will be in my look up pile for sure!

Also...Ireland? Well, can be pretty scary...

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I wonder how many things the crows have claimed in the name of Russell.
Tonimata said:
Abedeus said:
AND WHY THE HELL DID SHE USE A BOAT?!
Because it's the motherf*cking boat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8F3UE9qFsg
This ain't SeaWorld, this as real as it gets!

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Crow-spolsion!
And Russell is the most badass character in any video game.
I really would like to know how he got there so fast‽
(see what I did there?)
Finally what sort of game is this?

AvsJoe said:
I wonder how many things the crows have claimed in the name of Russell.
Tonimata said:
Abedeus said:
AND WHY THE HELL DID SHE USE A BOAT?!
Because it's the motherf*cking boat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8F3UE9qFsg
This ain't SeaWorld, this as real as it gets!
I think you mean SeaLAND
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/1506-Reduce-Your-Footprint

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
You know just because something is weird doesn't mean it's bad, Folklore is a damn good game, weird and damn strange but good the opening cutscene doesn't show it, and obviously like most games very few do

Edit: and for being a game that's like four or so years old the graphics are some of the best i've seen

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Three things:

2. CROWSPLOSION!

3. Folklore is actually a fantastic game, not that you'd know from this cutscene.
This. Have to agree with all 3 points.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Three things:

2. CROWSPLOSION!

Is snarf a commonly used term?

Great episode. I don't think I have ever even heard of this game.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Ghostwise said:
Susan Arendt said:
Three things:

I just watched some actual gameplay and it looks awesome! Is it a JRPG? I couldn't really tell. Regardless it looks cool. Shame I don't own a ps3! :(
It's an action game...I guess you could say it has some RPGish elements, but its mostly just in this amazing setting that's right out of a storybook. Basically, you collect "folk," which are these wonderfully strange creatures that have unique abilities. One might have a projectile attack, another might have a fire-based attack. You can't do combat yourself, so you need the folk to do it for you. You assign different folk to different face buttons, then hit the button for the attack you want to do. You can capture the souls of new folks to add to your arsenal. You also get different costumes that give you different abilities and buffs. You play as the two characters you saw in the video, each one with their own storyline, though the stories intersect in places.

It's kind of hard to find now, but if you can scoop it up, definitely give it a shot, if only to see how beautiful and otherworldly it is.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
"Should I tell The Who to go home? Because, they were ready."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
Am I correct in assuming that the big twist at the end of this game is going to be that the girl actually drowned when she was trying to swim to the island and was a ghost for the rest of the game? 'Cause it seems pretty obvious.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Why are there so many crows in cutscenes? I never really noticed until I started watching Unskippable, but now that I look, they're everywhere!

Also, this game looks neat.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I played this game to completion, and rather enjoyed it... Despite that, I can't, for the life of me, remember how it ended. The only thing I remember is the twist ending for Keats, (which explains how he got there so fast) but I don't remember the exact connection between him and the girl.

I regret trading that game in, I should go re-buy it.

Edit:

JSW said:
Am I correct in assuming that the big twist at the end of this game is going to be that the girl actually drowned when she was trying to swim to the island and was a ghost for the rest of the game? 'Cause it seems pretty obvious.
Not even close.