Unskippable: Folklore

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
One of the things that confused me, that I didn't here you say anything about was the time period it is supposed to be set in. She looks like she is wearing reasonably modern clothing but gets letters sealed with wax (and doesn't seem fazed by it) he looks like he could be dressed like that in the 1800's but has a relatively modern phone and a tape recorder and writes for a magazine that looks new and glossy and photo shopped but he does so on a type writer.

I could understand if one of them seemed to be from the past and another from the present since something fishy is clearly going on and time travel/limbo of some sort doesn't seem out of the question, but they don't seem to be consistent with themselves.

oh and even if it was daytime and she was swimming in calm warm tropical water and didn't have to worry about hypothermia or getting disoriented that island was still really far away and she was fully clothed, does she do triathlons or something, I don't think I could swim that far in a wool sweater, let alone with that hat.

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
HumpingStormTrooper said:
Susan Arendt said:
3. Folklore is actually a fantastic game, not that you'd know from this cutscene.
That statement made me wonder: Wasn't the original idea behind Unskippable to rant off the bad cutscenes from bad games?
no, just the bad cutscene part. their first one was for lost planet and I have heard that was rather good, and they just did Bayonetta which is also good.

however sometimes bad cutscenes can be a symptom of a bad game, or on some rare occasions a game can have cutscenes so bad that it contaminates the rest of the game

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
pigmy wurm said:
I could understand if one of them seemed to be from the past and another from the present since something fishy is clearly going on and time travel/limbo of some sort doesn't seem out of the question, but they don't seem to be consistent with themselves.
No Time travel involved at all.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I'm on a boat!

...headed to an island of death

yeah I've never heard of this game

and sadly I was kinda curious as to what was happening haha

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Three things:

1. "I'm tired now" totally made me snarf.

2. CROWSPLOSION!

3. Folklore is actually a fantastic game, not that you'd know from this cutscene.
I snarfed as well. That's just one thing.

I have to wonder, first we had Bullet Witch and then Bayonetta...and now Folklore. Do we got a Silent Hill cutscene coming next week?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Tekyro said:
I'm quite surprised they didn't mention that the guy in this looks like Otacon, to be honest. Or maybe that's just me.
Sampsa said:
Is it only me being a MGS fanboy or is the male protagonist bearing quite a remarkable resemblence to Otacon?
I sense a disturbance in the Metal Gears.

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
JaredXE said:
Hmm, I wanted to play Folklore, but I dunno....

Otherwise, pretty funny, I especially liked the CSI joke. And that's because I don't like CSI.
I saw the one liner opportunity, and was also dissapointed.

That being said, the cutscene was horrible, the exposition disgusting.
"I lost my mother.
I have since been looking for her, my life has sucked"
*Dives into water fully clothed*

menhir

Jun 15, 2007
Outlaw Torn said:
Sounds kind of like pokémon just with less balls and more...Ireland.

On another note, Crowsplosion has beaten Serpentinization in the "greatest words that probably aren't words but I will claim to be words" list.
It's an action game, so as far as the gameplay goes there's nothing from pokemon. Here's where the 'catch em all' bit comes in: you have to collect your attacks. Heavy melee attack, light melee attack, light projectile, heavy projectile, shield, anti-air, crowd control, etc. All those are monsters that you have to capture to use (called Folks, hence the name of the game.) Using the sixaxis. And they level up as you capture more of the same type. Each attack (and its associated folk) also has an elemental attribute, and there's 7 or 8 elements.

One of the folks/attacks is a (living? faerie?) mobile artillery piece.

The story is just as weird as the gameplay. The terrible pretty much ends with this opening cutscene, the rest of the game is just straight fucking weird. Well, except Ellen, she's just as annoying as you would expect her to be from this cutscene. There's maybe 60-80 folks in the game, and some are exclusive to either Ellen or Keats. You have to play both of their stories to progress in the game, so you'll get to see most of them, but unfortunately that means you are forced to play Ellen.

You don't see any of the art this game has in this cutscene. Artistically, it's maybe the best of this generation? I can't think of anything better off the top of my head, but I don't know what I'd compare it with either.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Outlaw Torn said:
On another note, Crowsplosion has beaten Serpentinization in the "greatest words that probably aren't words but I will claim to be words" list.
Add Unicornification to that list. It's fun to say.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
samsonguy920 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Three things:

1. "I'm tired now" totally made me snarf.

2. CROWSPLOSION!

I snarfed as well. That's just one thing.

I have to wonder, first we had Bullet Witch and then Bayonetta...and now Folklore. Do we got a Silent Hill cutscene coming next week?
Ok, I get folks bringing up Silent Hill, what with the letter from the dead person and all, but Folklore really isn't like that. It's far more...hmmm...fairy tale. Like, you chat with folk in the local pub. It's not dark and scary, just otherworldly and fantastic.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
"Don't touch her. She's dead!"

If someone collapsed at the edge of a cliff I'd probably go over to them and move them somewhere safer and check if they really are dead and then call an ambulance >.>

Funny episode. I'm gonna check out more info on this game now though since I am slightly curious.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Russell is back! YAY!

Wow, it took a while to gt this game on Unskipabble. You guys did a good job. I tried to play this game, but it got weirder and weirder (the soul-reeling was interesting). I guess Japanese gamers know something we don't :-\

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
That was one of the better Unskippable's in a while. I loved those first two lines.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I freakin' lost my gord at "I claim this old lady in the name of Russel!" xD Hahaha!