Unskippable: Front Mission Evolved

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Would like you guys to turn Homefront into something funny. Though you might have to edit out that scene with the parents and child.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Poop-throwing penguins really are becoming a major issue. Someone needs to put a stop to these Antarctic hooligans before it's too late!

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
The Wizaaaa-aa-a-aaa-aaard! (Damn you Idle Thumbs for making me this way).

Calling your walky robot things 'wanzers' instead of 'wankers' doesn't really even fix the problem. Now it's only (heavily) implied.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Probably the greatest travesty of this game was having the voice actor pronounce "Wanzer" wrong.
In the FM universe "Wanzers" were a German creation which means the "w" is pronounced as a "v."
Oh well... At least FM4 is still as awesome as ever.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
As a FM fan, I cannot tell you how much I hated this game. Hell, even if it wasn't the worst in a series it would still be horrible just on its own.

As far as the stupid cutscenes go, my favorite is probably about 2 hours in, when the main character faints in his robot, causing the robot to fall over for some reason and prompting the standard issue black military guy to rush over in HIS robot to catch the main character's dramatically. Then his robot's head looks up at the sky as he shouts the main character's name. This is cheesy when people do it, but the idea that he would have had to make so many carefully planned movements with his robot to achieve this effect is hilarious.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Yes. At least it's a space elevator instead of another orbital space laser hijacked by space Russians.

Good burn about the Hudson River, Graham!

And yeah, why does that Amy girl sound like someone from the movie "Clueless"? What the hell for?!

Anyway, see you next Monday for part 2. Time for me to get going....RIGHT INTO A WALL!!!

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I wish I could totally get my $60 back for this game. Kinda regret I bought it for PC too, can't trade it in :(

MaximillionMiles

Jan 20, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
A space escalator...

How would that work? Especially at a 45 Degree Angle. you'd have to have support for it (since we obviously dont have hover technology in this game) and jet propulsion would be to costly and pointless. How much of the world would you be covering as you go in your straight line?
I think they meant space elevators. Those are a real possibility and many countries are trying to develop one right now. The main problem seems to be creating a cable that is strong enough to resist the tension. But about the support thing, if you managed to take the end of the elevator and put it in geostationary orbit then it wouldn't need to hover, it would keep floating around the planet like our moon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

Unclever title

Mar 12, 2010
I think I get the whole "Wanzer" and "Walking Tank thing" connection. "Walking Panzer"

Yeah... it's still lame.

Birthe

Apr 26, 2010
Have to say an elevator to space... that somehow made me think of stairway to heaven.

Also those Wanzers look a lot like the V-Suits from Lost Planet... and I'm still thinking that they would be a pretty stupid thing to use at battle... cause they look as if you could fall over in them very easy.

Clunks

Apr 21, 2010
Wait a minute, wait a minute...Americans know about S-Club 7? Good god. Is nowhere safe from those pathetic wanzers?

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
This game literally looks like Disney's japanese branch decided to make a game about mechs that is as "Tween friendly" as possible.

The tween voices. The "cutesy" character designs. The fact that a giant multi-million dollar war robot is called a "Wanzer" nad this must be the only Japanese game I've seen where the female support charcter is NOT wearing a miniskirt. Not good signs.......

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
MaximillionMiles said:
emeraldrafael said:
A space escalator...

How would that work? Especially at a 45 Degree Angle. you'd have to have support for it (since we obviously dont have hover technology in this game) and jet propulsion would be to costly and pointless. How much of the world would you be covering as you go in your straight line?
I think they meant space elevators. Those are a real possibility and many countries are trying to develop one right now. The main problem seems to be creating a cable that is strong enough to resist the tension. But about the support thing, if you managed to take the end of the elevator and put it in geostationary orbit then it wouldn't need to hover, it would keep floating around the planet like our moon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator
No no no. At the end, they said Space escalators are where its at.

EDIT:
I get the point of a space elevator, and thats a single shaft. all the support is under it.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Ha! Solid episode. Quite a few really funny parts.
Good job, looking forward to next weeks.

Graham sounds like he has a cold or hay fever maybe? :[

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
Nice job, Graham and Paul. I've been watching Unskippable for a while now, and lately I found myself laughing less and less.

Fortunately, this one made me laugh out loud, for real, multiple times. Keep up the good work.

P.S.
Graham, do get better. You sound like you have a cold.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Probably the greatest travesty of this game was having the voice actor pronounce "Wanzer" wrong.
In the FM universe "Wanzers" were a German creation which means the "w" is pronounced as a "v."
Oh well... At least FM4 is still as awesome as ever.
I'm glad all you smart people are here saving me having to look up the logic behind the name on my own, also that is a shame, the quasi-German pronunciation actually sounds pretty good.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Of course, they have to have the camera angle showing the mech (I refuse to say that other thing) going up the elevator also give a very nice display of valley girl's ass. That was right up there with the random close-up of Miranda's ass in Mass Effect 2. Not topping it, but pretty damn close.

Heppo

Feb 16, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Wanzer comes from contracting "wanderpanzer" -> wanderpanzers -> wanzers.

Walking tank would be a problem. walking tank -> walking tank - > wank.

I think you see the problem. Wanzers is just the lesser of two ridiculous, ridiculous evils.
DAMN IT, beat me to the 'wank' name!!