Unskippable: Front Mission Evolved

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Man, I forgot about Front Mission. Kick-ass story on the first, second and third ones. I got really into those.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I'd ride a space Escalator :D Also, I've never played this game. It looks alot like Armored Core.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Agent Monocle said:
As a fan of Front Mission, I got this game as soon as it came out fully knowing that I was diving into a vast sea of feces and peanut butter. After six long hours of muttering to myself that it was just like Armored Core and receiving weird and worried looks from my sister, I finished the game, went to Cold Stone and demanded enough ice cream to give me diabetes.

This video unearthed those sad, bitter memories even then I was laughing with enjoyment then slowly gradually turned into head-between-knees sobbing. Why!? Why, Square!? Release this junk into the US, but not Front Mission 5!?

...Anyways, I think the term, Wanzer, is no more odd of a name than Gundam and other numerous terms Japanese use for walking armored vechicles. It was the same for me, when I first started Front Mission games. It's something to get used to though I think the best term so far I've seen would be "mech."
Some good-doers patched the FM5 iso into english ;)

Birthe

Apr 26, 2010
JonnWood said:
Tell me "wanzer" is German or something. Please.

"The Nsrl."

Hey, I think use that shampoo!
Have to dissapoint you it's not german

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
It's really too bad they didn't pronounce Wanzers with the American pronunciation of Panzer, i.e. Wänzer.

Hilarious episode!

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
"Walking Panzer... Wanzer!"

"Sir, this only sounds like we're getting out of our way to make it sound ridiculous."

"Ok... ok... we'll go with your idea. Walking Tank... Wank!"

Really, how did you not get this joke in? It was almost begging for it.

Santa216

Oct 26, 2010
Man, that cheer at the "real date". You sound soooo happy. Makes me smile every time.

It's also funny how you immediately came up with a "walking tank thing" when "Wanzer" pretty much means exactly that. I personally like the "Wanzer", but then again I'm not a native English speaker, this may play a role. It's short, iconic, and easy to remember. It doesn't feel forced. Also it is German, so mad science factor.

And Gundams are not "Gundams", of course, but "mobile suits", which is the very definition of a ridiculous name. Make of that what you will.

spuddaemon

Nov 9, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
MaximillionMiles said:
emeraldrafael said:
A space escalator...

How would that work? Especially at a 45 Degree Angle. you'd have to have support for it (since we obviously dont have hover technology in this game) and jet propulsion would be to costly and pointless. How much of the world would you be covering as you go in your straight line?
I think they meant space elevators. Those are a real possibility and many countries are trying to develop one right now. The main problem seems to be creating a cable that is strong enough to resist the tension. But about the support thing, if you managed to take the end of the elevator and put it in geostationary orbit then it wouldn't need to hover, it would keep floating around the planet like our moon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator
No no no. At the end, they said Space escalators are where its at.

EDIT:
I get the point of a space elevator, and thats a single shaft. all the support is under it.
Actually, "geostationary orbit" implies no support under it is required... it orbits (falls) around the earth, thus not requiring support, and it is geostationary (positioned in the same location relative to the surface of the earth)... things that make you go hrmmm...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
spuddaemon said:
emeraldrafael said:
Actually, "geostationary orbit" implies no support under it is required... it orbits (falls) around the earth, thus not requiring support, and it is geostationary (positioned in the same location relative to the surface of the earth)... things that make you go hrmmm...
BUt how would you fight the effects of gravity once you got through the atmosphere without support. Do you know how crazy fast you have to get to keep it in the centrifuge (?) effect

spuddaemon

Nov 9, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
spuddaemon said:
emeraldrafael said:
Snip Snip
Snip
BUt how would you fight the effects of gravity once you got through the atmosphere without support. Do you know how crazy fast you have to get to keep it in the centrifuge (?) effect
What? What do you mean? Satellites "fall" around the earth all the time...

You position an object in orbit around the earth and it just keeps falling (that's what "in orbit" means)... but as you position it, you ensure that the direction it is falling is such that it is always above a fixed point on earth (just like TV satellites are)... then you can build your stairway to heaven and connect the two. :)

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
spuddaemon said:
emeraldrafael said:
spuddaemon said:
emeraldrafael said:
Snip Snip
Snip
What? What do you mean? Satellites "fall" around the earth all the time...

You position an object in orbit around the earth and it just keeps falling (that's what "in orbit" means)... but as you position it, you ensure that the direction it is falling is such that it is always above a fixed point on earth (just like TV satellites are)... then you can build your stairway to heaven and connect the two. :)
I mean once it gets into earth's atmosphere. Do you know how much anchoring you need between just those two points before you go back to my main problem which is the support columns that will extend to earth.

Either that or you're gonna such a steep incline that you may as well be standing sideways like T on the stairs.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Giant mechs that really want to be able to roller skate without having actual roller skates because that would be dumb. Take a shot.