Unskippable: Resonance of Fate

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
SamSandy said:
The jumping girl is not the same one as the blonde girl on the couch, by the way.

A funny episode indeed! :D
Actually, yeah, she is the same girl.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Okay, I did a little bit of math on this. Let's assume that these two wacky kids hit terminal velocity at exactly 2:00 in the video. They hit the clouds at about 3:23. Stratocumulus clouds typically form at around 7,000 feet.

These two nutjobs fell about 21,000 feet before even hitting the cloud cover. If they hit the ocean (sea level), they'll have fallen 28,000 feet, which means that their little golden-glowing home was FOUR MILES ABOVE THE GROUND. For comparison, the tallest building on Earth, the Burj Khalifa, is around 2,700 feet tall (barely half a mile). The very top of Mount Everest is 29,029 feet.

That must be a wonderful world, where people living four miles above the planet's surface don't die of hypoxia or exposure.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Bert is sad there was no Eternal Sonata reference.
But otherwise a dang good episode. There is some weird architecture in JRPG's.

kmg90

Jan 21, 2009
Gotta have Nolan North in your game! He just made it in to this unskippable

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Wow, if it had ended after the director's name it would have looked like a feature short film. Ten golden bears in Cannes! They give bears there, right? Sparrows?

I thought they'd comment on how the last scene is so detached from the rest. After that huge thing on the top of the kilometer-tall city center they apparently switch to Central Arkansas.

Killjoi

Nov 25, 2009
Haha good stuff. The Aladdin bit make me laugh more than it should have.

BTW how did you guys NOT do a Nathan Drake/Nolan North joke ?

Random Wanderer

Apr 15, 2009
As I was watching I actually asked out loud "just how big IS this city?" about a second before one of you said "Wow, this is a really tall city." And likewise with the question of how badly broken his arm would be, although I was thinking more along the lines of how badly broken HER ribs would be.

I love it when what I'm thinking matches up with what you guys say.

In other questions, wtf was that opening about? Seriously, what the heck just happened?

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
"Dont go jumping off any more buildings unless theyre under 300 feet. Crazy kids"

Really good episode. I laughed so hard at that bit

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
I was so excited to see you guys do Resonance of Fate! It's really a great game. The characters are just brilliant. I'm only about 20 hours in, chapter 5 so I can't say exactly what's going on with the ups and downs in this scene and I especially have no freaking clue about the very end when they go through the clouds, but even still.

Great episode, great game to feature. Probably my favorite since you did The Last Remnant. Wish you would've included the menu video with Vashyron and Zephyr, though. That's got some pretty good Unskippable material to work with.

It'd be awesome if you were to continue this one, but most likely not. xD Aw well.

I hope at least one of you is actually playing the game though! The gameplay takes a little while to grasp, but the story and characters (especially the characters) are worth it. Oh, yeah, and gameplay's fun too. Once it finally clicks on how the heck it even works. xD

G Skunk

Apr 19, 2010
I have to say, considering how far off the radar Resonance of Fate is proving to be, I was surprised to see it featured on this week's Unskippable. Fun video. Entertaining as always.

It appears a lot of people are confused. Understandable, given the ridiculous nature of the cutscene and (at times) the game in general. Just to clear things up a bit, though, the entire game takes place on this thing:

That opening cutscene takes place at that bit on the top, named "Chandelier" because...well, three guesses as to what it resembles when it lights up at night. Still with me? Anyway, Chandelier is the only section of the city located above the clouds, so naturally, falling through the gaps would eventually lead to falling down through the clouds to one of the levels below.

Also, effeminate hero boy and suicide girl fell past a clock tower on their way down because Chandelier is built in 3 levels. The clock tower belonged to a lower level. Yes, I know, but vertical cities can be confusing. Wow, are you still reading this?

A lot of people seem to be confused by how this ties into the story, and I don't blame you. Resonance of Fate isn't exactly one of those games that spoon-feeds every single plot point to you and tells you you're a special little boy, but the story does get going after a while (and I do mean a while) and when it does, all the events in this seemingly senseless cutscene fall into place.

Except for how those two survived the fall. I don't think that's ever explained, but I'm not some caveman who screeches and panics every time some little thing goes unexplained. Sometimes, kiddos, not every aspect of every detail is handed over to us. That's our opportunity to use our imaginations and mentally weave a web of meaning where there may be none.

As for how they survived the fall, I like to think ponytail guy set up a giant trampoline on his roof.