Unskippable: Sonic the Hedgehog

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
Chicks like tall guys. With two eyes. And are human. Seriously, she must be a hardcore furry.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
The day that Sonic leaves DeviantART will be the day that progressive artists will get the attention they deserve on that site.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
TheSchaef said:
Pedro The Hutt said:
Except his original name is Eggman, he's always been called Eggman in Japan, Sonic games are made by a Japanese developer, his Wing Fortress in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was branded with a giant E at several locations, the Death EGG, and one of his robots shoots eggs, how much more evidence do you need to be snapped out of your silly denial that Eggman is, and always will be, his original name that Sega of America changed for no good reason.
Hey, while we're at it, let's change Mega Man's name back to Rockman, since he was always Rockman in Japan, his cohorts have corresponding names like Roll, Bass, Treble and Beat, and since years of branding in the Western world don't matter!

Oh, and the rebranded board game adaptation is called Settlers of Catan: Rockman Edition.
I wouldn't oppose to that, personally. Since Capcom USA undermined the whole bloody pun behind the naming. Sadly, given that 8 years of Sonic The Hedgehog before giving the villain his proper name caused fans to ~still~ be unwilling to even accept that Eggman is his original name, I'd hate to imagine what the Megaman fans would do after more than two solid decades. But hey. I just have a thing against renaming things that are perfectly sound.

That said, I wouldn't worry about it since Megaman's currently dead/on hiatus anyway. His last two games got cancelled and Capcom's got nothing planned for him at the moment. Meaning that it'll probably be at least 18 months before we see anything about the blue bomber again, and that's ideal circumstances.

On topic: I see that Sonic still "enjoys" an unpleasable fanbase. I suppose I shall just refer you to Yahtzee's opinion on fans.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it.
I won't say that there haven't been bad Sonic games, there certainly have been several, but there've been various decent ones in recent years, and even a few good ones (like Sonic Colors, and in my opinion even Sonic 4, the latter of which perfectly illustrates Yahtzee's point about fans)

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Is it just me that finds this a better Final Fantasy game than of late?
Or a crappier Sonic the Hedgehog game?

You decide!
PhunkyPhazon said:
*Logs onto Escapist, sees link to this*

GAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! What is THAT fucking game doing here!? I hate it hate it hate it hate it I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG'S GAME! Nothing puts a smile on my face faster than seeing someone tear this game to shreds. I watched the opening cutscene intending to play a nice Final Fantasy game, but noooooooo.

Ugh. Maybe I'll go play some Sonic Colors to get this piece of crap out of my mind.

JWRosser said:
I hope he and the Princess (I assume she is anyway) don't fall in love.

Oh God...they do, don't they?
You don't want to know.
You'll never unsee it.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I remember when I tried this game, I thought "Maybe, after all these years, now that I'm a more hardcore gamer, I can repair my broken relationship with such a classic game series!!!" and then I was wrong.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
MowDownJoe said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
You know...Sonic probably WOULD have had a better RPG than Sonic Chronicles if Square-Enix was on board.
Hey, I liked Sonic Chronicles (downer cliffhanger ending aside)! And Bioware actually made Big likable. (Admittedly, they did that by making him an idiot that you can't help but laugh at.)
I liked Chronicles too...ESPECIALLY that one scene where Big made SONIC look like a fool! But...I didn't say Chronicles was a bad game. I just think from an RPG POV, S-E could probably do something awesome. They once DID do good RPGs before they started going linear and auto-battle. (Square-Enix...you did so well with FF12...WHY did FF13 suck so much?!?)

Apr 25, 2009
Blue streak, as his franchise dies!

Literally had me on my desk laughing my head off.

This one was pure gold! :D

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
This reminds me of a dream I had where every game I'd ever seen was meshed together with all of the characters, differing graphics and gameplay. Needless to say, it was a nightmare.

Seriously though, I thought for a second the title got mixed up as a joke.

Am I the only one who wants to play/see this, just because of how bizarre it is? I don't even...

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
wow, for the first two minutes I thought the title of the video was some lame joke. But no, it was not a Final Fantasy game, it literally was Sonic the Hedgehog.

Laaaaaadiesss.

FinalFreak16

Mar 23, 2010
JWRosser said:
Wow that looks....awful.

Neither Sonic nor Robotnik (I refuse to call him Eggman) look like they belong there at all. And at the end...why didn't Sonic just run up the buildings and gather enough speed to propel himself onto the ship like he has done so many times before?

As far as can remember (having found and read some of the original comics from the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series. Robotnik was defeated during a battle with Sonic when some machine malfunctioned and he was teleported into another dimension or something.

Later though an even more evil robotic version of Robotnik came to their dimension and took over again. He was defeated (kind of) but he activated some other robot version of himself (The latest Robotnik which is the 'Eggman' model) Therefore he is now Dr. Eggman. Confused? So am I.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
FinalFreak16 said:
JWRosser said:
Wow that looks....awful.

Neither Sonic nor Robotnik (I refuse to call him Eggman) look like they belong there at all. And at the end...why didn't Sonic just run up the buildings and gather enough speed to propel himself onto the ship like he has done so many times before?

As far as can remember (having found and read some of the original comics from the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series. Robotnik was defeated during a battle with Sonic when some machine malfunctioned and he was teleported into another dimension or something.

Later though an even more evil robotic version of Robotnik came to their dimension and took over again. He was defeated (kind of) but he activated some other robot version of himself (The latest Robotnik which is the 'Eggman' model) Therefore he is now Dr. Eggman. Confused? So am I.
Well that's the best I've heard it explained anyway so...my thanks!

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
You know, I really don't get this. Didn't Robotnik kidnap the... princess or whatever because she had the chaos emerald? Seemed that way. Then why is he completely unfazed when she throws it to Sonic? Why exactly did he kidnap her if not because of the chaos emerald?

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Graham_LRR said:
Everyone's favorite hedgehog teleports into someone else's game.
But my favorite hedgehog is Mr. Pricklepants, he wears leather pants and a tyrolean hat. And he's simultaneously voiced by James Bond, Mr. Skinner from Hot Fuzz, and the President of the Time Lords.

endplanets

Mar 18, 2011
yes, someone else noticed that fact that Sonic has only 1 eye. That has always freaked me out in the games/ shows where he does that.

Random Wanderer

Apr 15, 2009
...What the hell is this?

Who thought a game like this would be a good idea?

And why the hell do so many games franchises decide to reset their naming conventions for no good reason, leaving us with two games with the same name?