Unskippable: X-Blades

Ifeno

Apr 3, 2009
great vid...onimusha 3 was still the best but it was still a great vid! keep it up =)

koolgool

Feb 7, 2009
lol! The line, "Emperor Palpatine's lost a lot of weight... and clothing" sold me on this episode. So awesome. xD Keep up the freakin' sweet work.

Zolem

Jul 28, 2008
"What part of FATAL to HUMANS did you not understand?"

I personaly wish it had killed her.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
sketchesofpayne said:
I dunno, all the critic reviews rate the game poorly, but all the user reviews rate it highly. I might give it a try if I can find it for $20. Dialog be as it may, the graphics look beautiful, and it's been a while since I played a hacky-slashy combat game.
Go home. Bad dog. The graphics look TERRIBLE.

Also, to be a geek now, did that Lion not remind you of Weregarurumon from Digimon?
Link here: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_W45INvwWVYI/SVA9B3xS4gI/AAAAAAAAAEM/Gz2hHpmvVrk/s320/Weregarurumon.gif

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
That one cut-scene killed a part of me deep inside.

Truly, truly horrible. The protagonist is definitely up there in the "Most Unlikeable Video Game Characters of All Time".

Yay, lion.

Azahiel

Apr 7, 2009
Nice one, really enjoyed it. Especially the beginning.

KaiRai said:
Also, to be a geek now, did that Lion not remind you of Weregarurumon from Digimon?
That's what I thought too. But with less clothes. I guess to keep up the "almost naked" theme. I'm glad the old guy at the beginning WAS fully dressed.
zoozilla said:
Truly, truly horrible. The protagonist is definitely up there in the "Most Unlikeable Video Game Characters of All Time".
Absolutely right! I kinda liked her until she started to speak...
And I "love" how absentminded she looks and behaves, walking into a forgotten, lost, overgrown temple like is was a walk in a park...
Even Lara Croft had to do some platforming, evade traps and kill random animals in ruins.
Speaking of which, don't you think an orb with some god's "all might" could use a bit more protection than a furball telling you to go away?

MpSai

Jun 25, 2008
Oh god, that character was obnoxious looking enough as it is, and then they gave her a snotty voice and a valley girl demeaner? What were they thinking? Who is this supposed to appeal to? Even high-fiving, keg-chugging, white-backwards-baseball-cap frat-boy gamers wouldn't like this. Well.. maybe some of them would.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
wow... I have to say that's one of the more pathetic openings for a game x-x

Dalisclock said:
And the fact she looks like Paris Hilton and has an annoying voice. Those things alone are reason enough to kill her.
Kudos to that

znix

Apr 9, 2009
I feel sorry for all you haters. I actually played the game and it kicked ass!
It is highly recommended to anyone who likes fast action.

Some reasons:

1. No pretense of being anything more than it is. Kick ass high action fun, with eye candy.

2. FAST framerate, even on low spec system. Wow, finally a studio that knows how to code. Imagine that. I take a big stinky crap on all the major AAA+ titles that are just bloat code on slow engines.

3. Easy to learn and several ways of playing. Anyone can jump in and get going, while more advanced players can try to pull off special combos and moves. Lots and lots of fast action!

Basically, hating on this game just because the main character has a skimpy outfit is lame and juvenile. She's also not young by anime standards. Even by regular standards. Please, show me a 14 year old with hips like her. Oh.. and again, it's a friggin' CARTOON ANIME character! I guess the haters here have lived in a deep hole and totally missed the manga/anime movement from Japan.

To everyone with an independent thought, and love for cool action games: Do yourself a favor and check this out. It's not the longest or most amazing game in the world, but it's also not pretending to be. It is what it is, fun and fast action with a skimpily dressed main character!

---
Btw, I don't work for the game company, but I felt it was necessary to post after reading all the vomituous drivel spewed in this thread.

Have a nice day.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
znix said:
I feel sorry for all you haters. I actually played the game and it kicked ass!
It is highly recommended to anyone who likes fast action.
As long as they've already played all the other games that do this better.

X-Blades is, essentially, the most average videogame in existence. It does some things quite well, the hypersaturated colours make a nice change from next generation brown, and the architectural design is quite cool, but the textures and enemy models are bland, all of the modelling attention having gone on Ayumi herself, some of the bosses are interesting (like the last fight with The Dark, or the Spider Queen), but for every one of those there's another one which is pointless and annoying (like the giant moth, or the last boss, who you can kill before he can run across the room to you by going to light form and spamming light bolts, keeping him stunlocked).

The everyday combat is a bit bland, it's not got the flair of Devil May Cry, the power of God of War, or the tecnique of Ninja Gaiden, most of the combos mean nothing and their timing is fiddly, you just spam on Fire Blades and hack or shoot away, occasionally using an area move when you get surrounded so you don't get hit and lose your combo bonus, but there are at least a couple of variations to break things up (enemies that need you to shoot, or use area attacks, or shooty magic).

The worst thing is the double tap dodge, because the gap where it'll still recognise a second tap and do the dodge rather than a normal jump is huge (at least 1.5, maybe 2 seconds), and that will kill you repeatedly on The Great Divide.

As for Ayumi's character, well she's kinda bratty and not terribly bright, so exactly the sort of person you'd expect to get grubby finger marks all over your ancient artefact of doom (see, this is why, if you have an ancient artefact of doom, it is imperative that it not be shiny). If you're going to do the "accidentally unleashed evil power" storyline, you might as well have a protagonist who would accidentally unleash the evil power.

Still, it's not exactly long, though the way they extend it by making you go through every area twice with changed lighting is shoddy.

theSchlub

Mar 24, 2009
Basically, hating on this game just because the main character has a skimpy outfit is lame and juvenile. She's also not young by anime standards. Even by regular standards. Please, show me a 14 year old with hips like her. Oh.. and again, it's a friggin' CARTOON ANIME character! I guess the haters here have lived in a deep hole and totally missed the manga/anime movement from Japan.
Your argument is invalid because the anime movement in america is NOT necessarily a good thing. I watched a number of enjoyable shows get thrown off the air for newer shinier anime-movement crap that I wouldn't show to my worst enemy's children. Show me exactly how shows like Ronin warriors, a REAL anime, deserves to lose it's timeslot to poorly-produced crap like "Code Lyoko". The only good thing to come of this movement has been Avatar, and that's only because the studio knows how to do good animation.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
theSchlub said:
Your argument is invalid because the anime movement in america is NOT necessarily a good thing. I watched a number of enjoyable shows get thrown off the air for newer shinier anime-movement crap that I wouldn't show to my worst enemy's children. Show me exactly how shows like Ronin warriors, a REAL anime, deserves to lose it's timeslot to poorly-produced crap like "Code Lyoko". The only good thing to come of this movement has been Avatar, and that's only because the studio knows how to do good animation.
Ironically, contrary to your whine about the anime influence on America, neither X-Blades or Code Lyoko is American.

HazukiHawkins

Mar 3, 2009
Now... this game seems to be ripping off Tomb Raider... for the story. Why in the hell would anyone want to do that?! After watching that scene, even spared some of the original dialogue by the amusing commentary of our faithful Unskippable duo, I understand why they made the girl's outfit so tiny. They had to, or not even unusually dumb teenage boys would buy their, ahem, "game"...

HazukiHawkins

Mar 3, 2009
swytchblayd said:
wow... I have to say that's one of the more pathetic openings for a game x-x

Dalisclock said:
And the fact she looks like Paris Hilton and has an annoying voice. Those things alone are reason enough to kill her.
Kudos to that
This, and she has a japanese name... yet doesn't look or sound japanese at all? Unless the entire artistic style somehow makes her japanese by default. I dislike

Calax

Jan 16, 2009
Just wanted to say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcf4AuYZDjs

... listen to the voices!

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
I don't "hate on" this game because of Ayumi (awful as she is, and I like some anime) I hate it because it's terrible.

Among other things, to echo what someone else said, the double-tap dodge is a stupid control idea.