Upcoming games doomed to destroy their franchises?

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
What upcoming games do you believe are going to be the death of their franchises?

Personally I see Mass Effect 3 as the peak of it's series, and it's going to be forever doomed to repetitive spin offs.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
The Spyro the Dragon franchise is already pretty much doomed.

The new game (the one where Spyro looks like he had acid poured on him) is like beating a doomed horse with a giant warhammer that has a chainsaw chained to it...and it's covered in acid.

Seriously, it isn't even technically a Spyro game, it just features him for the game and the toy range coming with it. You basically buy the game unfinished then buy the toys from the stores to unlock the rest of the game.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Skyrim..hahaaa...just kidding. Halo4,5,6 come to mind. And yes ME3 does seem to be the 'end' even though technically it is the end of the trilogy. I'm sure they'll want to do more with the universe but I cant really see how, without desecrating its body.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Halo 4. Halo should have ended at the third game, or, if we're being forgiving, with Reach. Microsoft is trying to beat a dead horse now, and it's getting old.

Mrmac23

Aug 12, 2011
On one hand, there are a lot of new scenarios for the Mass Effect 'verse to explore. On the other, once you've saved the galaxy from being doomed to a cycle of extinction by a race of Mecha-Cthulhu, everything else would probably just feel like a bit of a letdown.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
Unless, you know, the Reapers are actually being controlled by the "beings" that originally built them so in the next pentalogy you will be fighting the real gods. Man that wouldn't surprise me >_<

Ice Dragonhawk

Mar 14, 2011
I kind of sense Halo 4 would sustain the most fire here, if the posts above are to go by. But you do have to give 343i a little bit of slack- I mean, they are going to at least try some new things. For one, there will finally be brand new enemies, and they are going back to the mystery and exploration theme that made the first Halo so great. (Talking for myself of course) And hey, they say they are going to tie some of the backstory into it and actually give Chief some characterisation. (I also hear rumours of them trying a different engine). But of course we'll find out if it is any good when it rolls by next year.

My pick would be that Spyro game mentioned in post no.2. I just can't look at that without invisioning that smug image of Kotick with dollar signs in his eyes. So then, the main selling point of this game is that you need to buy something that isn't in the game to play it? Mmkay.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
ME3 would haveto end here, but EA wont let that cash cow down easy.

Halo should have been stopped a while back, and the upcoming one will be the one to prove it, but as long as there is some money still in it MS will ride that dirty whore.

BF3 with EA's stupidity department at the helm could kill the PC fanbase for it.

DA3, they decided to blend the good with shite, it's just Fable all over again, there really is no reason for it to go on.
Anyone want to take best if there is an on rails shooter in the making?

MW3, maybe this time around the fanbase will get wise to their act... ya that's not likely.

God of War 4, wait didn't it already end? oh no no no, that is a cow worth milking and it will be milked to the last drop.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Yeah, I'm kinda thinking that ME3 is going to be difficult to follow up too. I think it'll be great, but I can't see where the series can really go from there.

BF3, not because of gameplay or anything, but because it is effectively trying to force unreasonable terms on the PC-users. If EA keeps this up, I wouldn't be surprised if they're shutting down their PC developers in a couple of years, citing "Unreasonable consumers" or some crap like that. I don't doubt BF3 will do well, but I doubt it will do nearly as well as it should have on the PC, thanks to spyware, I mean Origin.

KOTOR possibly, but I've not actually played TOR yet, so I'll have to hold my judgement; experience has taught me that what a game looks like and plays like are completely different; that's why when I finally played Gears, I hated it because I disliked the way the controls and weapons worked. Still, the price tag makes me have doubts the project isn't doomed to failure unless its an overwhelming success.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3; I'm not hating on it really, it looks as good as its predecessors, but I just don't think its going to stand up that well... actually it may stand up better than it would now that EA have decided to give gamers on the PC another reason to hate them. Technologically speaking, its starting to show its age and the series could really use an engine upgrade and multiplayer a good rethink; I would suspect MW3 will not outsell its predecessors, although time will tell. With the exit of IW's founders, the people who started the whole thing, I'm not so sure that it will be as good as it could have been anyway.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Mr.K. said:
DA3, they decided to blend the good with shite, it's just Fable all over again, there really is no reason for it to go on.
Anyone want to take best if there is an on rails shooter in the making?
What? "No reason for it to go on?" Dragon Age 2 ended with a massive cliffhanger. You haven't even seen the most remote speck of information on Dragon Age 3, yet you automatically doom it to failure? I am confused.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Halo 4 could be well-done. It's going to be based around the Forerunners[sub]not official but it'd be insane to assume anything else[/sub]so their mystery would definitely make it an enjoyable game.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
With EA being stupid, BF3 is being castrated by its major fanbase: the PC, so the series is kinda doomed.

And also, Episode 3.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Halo 4... Reach should have been the last game, but to announce 4 more Halo games (Anniversary and the new trilogy) is just stupid. They're beating a dead horse.
And I think the new Fable game. I think the franchise peaked at Fable 2, even that is a stretch.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
The Spyro the Dragon franchise is already pretty much doomed.

The new game (the one where Spyro looks like he had acid poured on him) is like beating a doomed horse with a giant warhammer that has a chainsaw chained to it...and it's covered in acid.

Seriously, it isn't even technically a Spyro game, it just features him for the game and the toy range coming with it. You basically buy the game unfinished then buy the toys from the stores to unlock the rest of the game.
I dont even think the publisher thinks it's going to sell, thats why there's a toy tie in gimmick.

Oh well, Spyro died after Year of the Dragon when Insomniac let it go
Mrmac23 said:
On one hand, there are a lot of new scenarios for the Mass Effect 'verse to explore. On the other, once you've saved the galaxy from being doomed to a cycle of extinction by a race of Mecha-Cthulhu, everything else would probably just feel like a bit of a letdown.
It's not so much the fact that there could be more afterward (because I can think of hundreds of vidjima game plotlines to follow ME3 potentially) but the fact that it's going to be milked, hard, by EA. I mean I can predict ME3 doubling it's profits on preorders alone.

I foresee an ME multiplayer FPS being announced right in ME3's manual in the game box. Hell an ME MMMORPG anyone?

Bobbity said:
Halo 4. Halo should have ended at the third game, or, if we're being forgiving, with Reach. Microsoft is trying to beat a dead horse now, and it's getting old.
Halo WOULD have died at Reach, but Microsoft had to resurrect it after Bungie jumped ship.

JUGGERNAUTBITCH

May 20, 2011
Mrmac23 said:
there are more galazy's out there :)