[Update 2] How/why are console gamers satisfied with 30 fps?

Blt3200

Oct 5, 2009
I play games for Gameplay. If console gamers wanted graphics that blow your find so hard you speak a foreign language, id buy a pc.
Consoles also offer reliable games that work when you buy them, any game you get with an xbox thats for an xbox will work on the xbox, no surprises.
Even though I have a friend who spent over $500 to make everything run on ultra settings, the whole fps difference i've never really noticed.

I mean if its your cup of tea to have everything 60fps+ thats cool, but its not like console gamers are some sort of lower class or impoverished.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:
It's because they most likely havn't exposed themselves to too many 60 FPS games. It's like the difference between 480p and 1080p. You wouldn't care if that's all you knew, but give you a month and 480p will hurt your eyes.
Honestly? I upgrade to BD when it's convenient, but most of my library is still DVD.

Tell me again how it will hurt your eyes....

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:
Everyones ignorant of something. I don't know Spanish or high degrees of math. Which means I'm ignorant.
The difference is you're taking indifference and insisting it must be because of ignorance. Saying someone is ignorant is one thing, saying "well, you disagree, so it must be ignorance" is on the dismissive highway, headed straight into Conspiracy Route 5.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
It's because they most likely havn't exposed themselves to too many 60 FPS games. It's like the difference between 480p and 1080p. You wouldn't care if that's all you knew, but give you a month and 480p will hurt your eyes.
Honestly? I upgrade to BD when it's convenient, but most of my library is still DVD.

Tell me again how it will hurt your eyes....
For some stuff it's like putting someones glasses on when you're not supposed to wear glasses, but worse. Seriously, play an xbox 360 game in non HD, then play it in HD. Washed out colours, very blurry viewing, mini maps are unreadable, so is text, pin point accuracy is out the window. I have to really strain my eyes to see what I'm doing if I have to play a game on a non HD TV, which leads to eyes hurting.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Although I am a PC gamer mainly these days the only issue I have with consoles is framerate death. Not the standard stutter many games have but the game that even if it's only in one part of it can die in the ass and reach levels of 15 and even lower is when I get pissed off.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sweet. Why don't I notice the difference between playing on my PC at 3 feet and playing on my TV at 10 feet then?

Seriously.
I mentioned that in the final part of my post, people who don't want or care to notice the difference between red and blue just won't. For those who do care to notice however it becomes impossible to not see it.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
Gundam GP01 said:
Try this then.
http://30vs60.com/formula1.php
Or this
http://www.30vs60fps.com/
Or this
http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

It should be easy to see how framerate effects gameplay with these sources.
I've seen these before and at first, I thought I won't be able to tell the difference, but upon checking it out, the difference became very clear. Because I get motion sickness at 60 fps. Especially at the second link. I watched the 30 fps spinning for a good minute without problems and to adjust. No more than 5 seconds after switching to 60 fps, I had to turn it off. Of course, 60 fps is smoother, no doubt, but I don't see the extreme benefit seeing as 30 fps is also smooth. And seeing as I get the motion sickness at 60.

I don't play on consoles and 30 fps on the PC (well, laptop) is fine to me. No choppiness, no pauses. It goes smoothly and I have zero problems with playing games on 30 fps. Perhaps after a while I could get used to 60, but the motion sickness can really get to me. Sometimes I also get it when there are blur filters and those motion filters. I turn that shit off immediately if the option is available and I can only beg the developers to put that option in. I remember the blur when turning the camera could not be turned off in the new Tomb Raider and I would get the sickness after two-three hours of continuous playing (which usually isn't the problem in games that don't have that).

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
I remember reading a Nintendo Gamer mag back when the Gamecube had just been released, and they were shitting on Need For Sped: Hot Pursuit 2 for only having 30fps.

So yes, I find this situation where the "next gen" is limited to 30fps hilarious as well.

I also love all of the "But it doesn't matter!" who apparently don't see the humour in companies pushing to be "the best" and claiming they are constantly taking massive leaps forward when they can't even increase the fucking frame rate.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Smooth Operator said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sweet. Why don't I notice the difference between playing on my PC at 3 feet and playing on my TV at 10 feet then?

Seriously.
I mentioned that in the final part of my post, people who don't want or care to notice the difference between red and blue just won't. For those who do care to notice however it becomes impossible to not see it.
Honestly, I don't notice the difference unless being shown two examples of the same game, one after the other. For example, I didn't realize that League of Legends ran at 60 FPS until I read it in this very thread. I play League quite a bit as well as many other PC games, yet I still frequently go back to my console for games that I couldn't get on PC. After playing a game of League, I may go and play some console game and I wouldn't notice the difference at all. Maybe it's because I am so used to both FPS that going from one to the other isn't a big deal to me, but I could see how the change would be quite jarring if you were used to only one of them.

SARCASM ALERT!
It's also possible that I am just superior to you and am therefore able to subconsciously adjust my eyes for any demand that video games bring to them. Mortals are so sad.
SARCASM OVER!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I honestly can't understand how people don't see the difference.
Like... is it a force of habit thing, can they legitimately not see it or do they just not know the difference? I grew up playing 30fps games on console but the moment I saw one at 60fps I knew there was something different to them.
It also kinda ticks me off when people just willingly admit to not caring when they could clearly be getting a better experience. Like, Assassin's Creed Unity, saying they're going to stick to 30fps when AC3+4 next gen (they both had next-gen right?) ran at 60 fine, from what I remember. There's not some big graphical update that's going to stop them, and I highly doubt Assassin's Creed is going to have some really complicated AI that confounds things.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I think its just not being exposed to better. 4 years ago when I got a 800 dollar gaming PC 2 days later I couldn't play my 360 all the texture pop in lack of effects, low rez low framerate was just so drastically jarring.

Now I'll play 30fps on my old rig if its single player and the graphics are maxed out, but I'm gonna spend 300 bucks and buy a new card that hammers console specs again and get back to 60 fps no matter what.

Thoughtful_Salt

Mar 29, 2012
I'm just used to it. Until I get a gaming PC with some serious hardware behind it, that's the way it shall stay. If the game feels and controls great, and the framerate doesn't tank below 20 then I don't hold it against the game too much if it's only 30fps.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
I think that the issue comes down to the whole 720P vs 900P vs 1080P debate. I guess that the game makers that evaluate the tradeoffs get much more grief about not being 1080P then they do about the framerate being 30 vs. 60. Maybe a lot of the people weighing in negatively here about the framerate would just switch to complaining about the lines of resolution if all the games ran at 60 FPS.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
As someone who played exclusively on a console for about 4 years, I never really knew anything different. To be fair, I was pretty much oblivious to what FPS was, hell, I never really knew what resolution was other than that the HDMI cable made the game look prettier than the SCART lead. If I wanted to play a game, I would play it at 720p 30FPS, I never got the choice as to whether or not I could play at 60FPS 1080p, and I never really cared.

As someone who has played PC games for the best part of 4 years, I can clearly tell the difference between 60FPS and 30FPS, but resolution? Unless there are two images side by side, not a chance.

Malevolentcafe

Mar 29, 2013
For fighting games, and hack and slash games I prefer 60 fps.
30 fps is fine for everything else.

Mind you those types of games being at 30 fps wouldn't bother me.

Even after putting hours into Revengeance, I can still play Dark Souls at a lower framerate.
So like everyone else, I don't care.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I don't care about FPS unless it's not consistent. I played TLOU on PS4 with 60 FPS and it didn't help gameplay vs the PS3 version. I even played a bit locked at 30 and could tell the difference visually but 60 FPS didn't help aiming or anything.

Recron

Professional Procrastinator
Jun 10, 2010
I'm gonna add the the pile with another We don't care. Those of us who tend to primarily game on console just in general don't really care, some of us don't notice a difference some of do(I personally dont and yes I've seen all those comparison sites I still don't), and many of us that do notice don't seem to really care all that much. Frame rate doesn't really seem to be a big deal outside of hardcore PC gamer circles and hardcore, competitive, twitch reflex, game circles at least not from what I've seen. Different people respond differently and have different tolerances to stimuli and thats no different with frame rate. To me this whole "how can console gamers be okay with 30fps" is just an absolutely ridiculous question, maybe some people just aren't as sensitive to frame rates as you are, why is that so bizarre? You go enjoy your 60+ FPS and we'll enjoy our whatever FPS.

Edit: I'm not speaking for all console gamers here this is just based on my expiriences.

Jan 27, 2011
I'm cool with 30 FPS most of the time.

The only time 60 FPS really matters is in fighting games.

I mean, 60 FPS is nice to have and looks really pretty (one of the reasons why Gamecube's Bloody roar still looks beautiful to this day), but for most games, 30 is really all you need.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
The reasoning is perfectly understandable, as a PC gamer my rig is never cutting edge and I've been playing games at lower setting for 15 years without much concern. But at the same time there's a whole lot of hypocrisy here. OP names them 'console gamers' but realistically he's talking about PS/Xbox fans, and when it comes to Nintendo fans they'll lord the graphics & hardware superiority over them. Then PC gamers poke there nose into the conversation 'hey we're actually better than you there' and suddenly these things don't matter anymore.

For the current gen the defensive argument usually comes from Xbox owners/fans since they're on the short end of the stick here with PS fans the aggressors, but you just know if the One could do 1080P/60fps but the PS4 was lagging behind with some combination of 720P/30fps then the positions would seamlessly flip.