Update: Beta Tester Leaks Elder Scrolls Online Gameplay Footage

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
Odbarc said:
marcooos said:
I don't buy that. They could literally just make Skyrim but an MMO and it would sell like fucking crazy especially if it was multiplatform, what they are doing here is more laziness than cowardice and it annoys the shit out of me
There isn't an issue of what things COULD be doing, it's a matter of what IS and HAS been done.
There are lots of great things that could be done but unless you yourself were willing to risk millions of dollars investing in it, and I'm sure you can't/wouldn't, neither is anyone else.
I could risk buying it... But I won't see how that works. Playing it safe in the MMO market is like trying to make money by filming yourself wanking on the internet - to many people do it for free and or better to make money. The only way this would have had any chance is by putting an elder scrolls game online not a generic MMO

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Amir Kondori said:
The team that developed Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, etc., is NOT the team that is developing the MMO. That team is most likely hard at work on Fallout 4. This is completely different team, so don't expect the MMO to share much in common with the earlier games, except of course setting, characters, etc.
Who is making the game is irrelevant, if it's using the same engine (and there is no reason to suggest they aren't) then the game will crash. Randomly and frequently.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
I think people are being a bit hard on the game.

1. Still in Beta. So there will be more updates too the models and game-play.
2. 20 Min? There is no way to gauge the game-play in that short amount of time.
3. Not a word about the Multi-player aspect of it. hmmm, PvP? group PvE? Who are the Friends and foes?

I still give the game a 50/50 crap-shoot, BUT it is still far too early and far too few details, too be ruling a yay or nay on this game.

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
To me it feels kinda weird that an article is posted based on someone breaking the NDA.
If it were a leak by one of the employees, i would say it's their fault.
But this is basically relies on stolen content.
It does get a lot of views, and it is important to the gaming community, but it still feels kinda wrong to me.
I mean, we aren't dealing with a leak from a totalitarian country here, in which case it would be fine to break their trust.
This time it's a beta tester who took advantage of the opportunity given to him, and the media seems to be glorifying it.
Not doing an article at all would be weird, but posting something that looks like a review and a link to the stolen content doesn't feel right to me either.
I would rather see an article about the leak itself and not its content.

Edit:
I guess this is partially due to the wildstar leak response
http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/m30_patch_notes.php
The beta patch notes for WildStar were leaked by a current beta tester. Our core fansite supporters have, out of respect for Carbine, opted not to share that leaked information, knowing it was a violation of our mutual trust.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Corven said:
Hagi said:
It's kinda sad that so far besides your comment, pretty much everyone else has decried this game as a WoW clone especially since most of the information we have about the game show's that it is more in line with Guild wars 2 in terms of it's gameplay mechanics.
Which, in my eyes, is a good thing.

Thank you.

I'm going to try this game out when it's released.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
marcooos said:
Odbarc said:
marcooos said:
I don't buy that. They could literally just make Skyrim but an MMO and it would sell like fucking crazy especially if it was multiplatform, what they are doing here is more laziness than cowardice and it annoys the shit out of me
There isn't an issue of what things COULD be doing, it's a matter of what IS and HAS been done.
There are lots of great things that could be done but unless you yourself were willing to risk millions of dollars investing in it, and I'm sure you can't/wouldn't, neither is anyone else.
I could risk buying it... But I won't see how that works. Playing it safe in the MMO market is like trying to make money by filming yourself wanking on the internet - to many people do it for free and or better to make money. The only way this would have had any chance is by putting an elder scrolls game online not a generic MMO
I'm really not quite sure how they could've possibly done that without breaking the game really. If I murdered a side mission critical npc, how would the game compensate other players? They could employ phasing mechanics, or they could just make the npc respawn after a certain amount of time, but that would destroy the point of making Elder Scrolls an online game to begin with. Or they could make it so you CAN'T kill him, but that's already changing the concept of what Elder Scrolls is to begin with.
Also, stealth (and general rougue-like) mechanics would have to be massively overhauled on its own, especially for PvP. That's to say nothing of the levelling system. In my playthrough of Skyrim, my primary char was a master in archery, one handed weapons, destruction magic AND sneaking, and I did that without min/maxing.

(I can't comment on how generic the game actually looks; I didn't get a chance to see the video before it went down.)

I mean really, creating an Elder Scrolls game "but online" would require so much stripping down that there'd barely be anymore Elder Scrolls left. That said, I'd like to see it done but it'd be more of a curiosity than an actual mmo.
008Zulu said:
Amir Kondori said:
The team that developed Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, etc., is NOT the team that is developing the MMO. That team is most likely hard at work on Fallout 4. This is completely different team, so don't expect the MMO to share much in common with the earlier games, except of course setting, characters, etc.
Who is making the game is irrelevant, if it's using the same engine (and there is no reason to suggest they aren't) then the game will crash. Randomly and frequently.
They are using a different engine. It's been confirmed.

Dekar

Apr 16, 2013
It?s understandable for people to be nervous about this game. The fear that it?s just World of Warcraft slapped with some Elder Scrolls color is one that many single-player and WoW-hating players are feeling. But if you?re in this crowd it?s time you wake up and listen to what people are saying. Events like PAX East are showing the world exactly what we?re in for. People speak of it looking like Elder Scrolls, sounding like Elder Scrolls, and more importantly, playing like Elder Scrolls. As more and more people get to experience the game, I think we?ll start hearing less and less of these complaints.

Enough said. Chech this article: http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleearth.com/2013/04/15/the-elder-scrolls-goes-back-in-time-to-move-forward/

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Simple Bluff said:
Kinda like how Skyrim uses a new engine, but turns out it was a refurbishment of Oblivions, which was a refurbishment of Morrowinds? All three games using supposedly different engines that all happen to suffer from the same memory management issues?

LongMuckDong

Aug 23, 2011
Aussie502 said:
Not sure why everyone's calling this a WoW clone. I don't really see anything that resembles WoW besides the outdated graphics. It actually looks more like Skyrim than what I expected.
Exactly what I was thinking...

ZOS needs to release a 5-10 min gameplay video on proper ultra settings using at least the PAX build (MUCH prettier/smoother than this garbage 'no-frills' beta build) - that'll shut most of the whining c**** up in this thread me thinks... "Generic fantasy WoW Clone" whining pencil dicks :D

You lot need to realise it's:

1) Early Beta footage played by an obvious, obvious troll.. skipping all dialogue.. can't fight for shit, so obvious this has been released to hurt the lead up of the game, it's quite annoying the war bad hype like this wage on a games pre-orders and release success.

2) Being played on a piece of garbage PC, it's running like my grandmother, scratch that, slower than my grandmother.

3) It's been uploaded by a douche called 'Worst Youtube'.. the troll with this leaked footage has done well to pull so many unwitting adventurers into his dank lair.. :p

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
008Zulu said:
Amir Kondori said:
Maybe do a quick google search before you make assumptions. The game is using a completely different engine, HeroEngine.

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
LongMuckDong said:
Aussie502 said:
Not sure why everyone's calling this a WoW clone. I don't really see anything that resembles WoW besides the outdated graphics. It actually looks more like Skyrim than what I expected.
Exactly what I was thinking...

ZOS needs to release a 5-10 min gameplay video on proper ultra settings using at least the PAX build (MUCH prettier/smoother than this garbage 'no-frills' beta build) - that'll shut most of the whining c**** up in this thread me thinks... "Generic fantasy WoW Clone" whining pencil dicks :D

You lot need to realise it's:

1) Early Beta footage played by an obvious, obvious troll.. skipping all dialogue.. can't fight for shit, so obvious this has been released to hurt the lead up of the game, it's quite annoying the war bad hype like this wage on a games pre-orders and release success.

2) Being played on a piece of garbage PC, it's running like my grandmother, scratch that, slower than my grandmother.

3) It's been uploaded by a douche called 'Worst Youtube'.. the troll with this leaked footage has done well to pull so many unwitting adventurers into his dank lair.. :p
You sure make a LOT of assumptions in your post. So what if he skipped dialogue? Maybe he thought he was doing us all a favor and forgoing spoilers. In terms of performance, maybe it was running on a low end PC, or maybe the game has major performance issues right now.

I fear you have fallen into the dank lair of assumption.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
008Zulu said:
Simple Bluff said:
Kinda like how Skyrim uses a new engine, but turns out it was a refurbishment of Oblivions, which was a refurbishment of Morrowinds? All three games using supposedly different engines that all happen to suffer from the same memory management issues?
Given that firstly it's an MMO so the old skyrim engine would be completely unsuitable, and secondly it's not even being made by Bethesda I think it's entirely implausible to claim that the engine is going to be even remotely similar.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
Wait.......Bethesda beta test their games?
Yes, they always put their games through a beta. It's just that the Bethesda beta testing cycle is usually the first 6 months after the game is released to the general public.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Zagzag said:
Given that firstly it's an MMO so the old skyrim engine would be completely unsuitable, and secondly it's not even being made by Bethesda I think it's entirely implausible to claim that the engine is going to be even remotely similar.
Why spend 50 million developing a new engine when you can use a pre-existing one?

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
008Zulu said:
Zagzag said:
Why spend 50 million developing a new engine when you can use a pre-existing one?
It's possible that Zenimax online pinched Bethesda's engine, but why not either make their own or license one from someone with an engine more suited to MMOs, since the Skyrim engine would cost at least that much to repurpose in the amount of time it would take, surely.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
008Zulu said:
Zagzag said:
The kind of game breakin bugs in an easily moddable PC game like Skyrim is one thing. The players can and will fix all of them fairly quickly.

Puttin those kinds of bugs in an MMO with the already fairly severe limitations of the engine (seriously, read dev interviews where they talk about the engine. It terrifies me that they keep usin it) and you have a recipe for disaster.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
And this is why people not breaking their NDAs is so important. People get a look at a very early, unrefined version of the game and people make up their minds about it prematurely. Speaking from prior beta experience with mmos, there is so much change that can take place in a properly run beta that at the end the game looks and plays nothing like it did when it started. Sadly, very few companies seem capable of running betas as nothing more than glorified demos.
Agreed on the last sentence. And with the NDA: You gave your word, so...

On the rest: Nope. totally disagree. I have been in a lot of Beta's. Never seen ANY significant changes to the game. EVER. They fix a few bugs, balance some damage-codes and nerf some combos and XP-gain: Done, perfect product. I think the one real change i've seen recently was in World of Tanks in their "Beta", two years in, they implemented a physics engine.

Man, would be nice to see a cool "AAA" MMORPG. Have been waiting on one for... like 13 years now *g*.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
it's a bit of one and a good chunk of the other

while early on in beta is no real indication, by the late stages of the beta, if they don't got their shit together, people mass abandon it like tabula rasa

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
shintakie10 said:
The kind of game breakin bugs in an easily moddable PC game like Skyrim is one thing. The players can and will fix all of them fairly quickly.

Puttin those kinds of bugs in an MMO with the already fairly severe limitations of the engine (seriously, read dev interviews where they talk about the engine. It terrifies me that they keep usin it) and you have a recipe for disaster.
A lot of MMOs have bugs, Bethesda can always trot out the excuse that this bug is high on their list and they will get to it as soon as they can. But it's been 15 years? If they (Zenimax) haven't worked out how to make a stable game engine by now then they never will.

It's funny that all the games that use a Zenimax engine have exactly the same problems despite us being told they are different engines?