Update: Beta Tester Leaks Elder Scrolls Online Gameplay Footage

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Okay people discussing the quality of the graphics in this video. It is time to play a round of Pay Attention with Uncle Second.
Find a working link to the video. Skip to 3:49 where he has the graphical settings open. First, you will notice that the first row of the first column of options is for presets and the video poster has his set to custom. The second thing to notice is that the size of the scroll bar in the upper right, compared to the number of graphical options which we can see, indicates that there are a great many more graphical options which we DO NOT KNOW the settings of in the making of this video.
We can see that of the three graphical sliders shown in the video, one is set to high and two are set to ultra. We cannot see anything else. There is not enough information in this video to know whether it truly is a fair representation of the current graphical quality of the game.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
GrayJester said:
If anyone is interested, the video is still present here:
http://riotpixels.com/dvadtsat-minut-gejmpleya-the-elder-scrolls-online/
What is on the internet may never die -watches video-

Yeah, I saw nothing earth shaking. I kinda wish I had. But then again, how can you really change the questing formula?

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
The game looks okay, but I don't know if it is going to do too well with the kind of safe approach it's taking to the market. Age of Conan seems pretty similar to this game in how the gameplay functions, and the aesthetics are not exactly noteworthy. FFXIV ARR, from what footage I've seen of the game, has a stronger impression than TESO.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
When they first released a description of the game made it made me think ESO was essentially a fantasy version of SWTOR, which was a Scifi version of WoW, making ESO pretty much WoW.

john56

Apr 15, 2013
You all clueless people, You only know how to talk bad.You haven't play the game and you choose to doomed it. The SOB who post this clip he did it on purpose to make the Game loo bad and he lower all the specs and the Graphics. I play it and look awesome way better than skyrim if i may say and if you don't like it just don't play it you do not have to trash other peoples hard work cause you have no idea what it takes to make any game, . People like you make games not to sell as a results and studio closing down.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
john56 said:
You all clueless people, You only know how to talk bad.You haven't play the game and you choose to doomed it. The SOB who post this clip he did it on purpose to make the Game loo bad and he lower all the specs and the Graphics. I play it and look awesome way better than skyrim if i may say and if you don't like it just don't play it you do not have to trash other peoples hard work cause you have no idea what it takes to make any game, . People like you make games not to sell as a results and studio closing down.
I read a study the other day that said that in order to twist someone's opinion effectively, one shouldn't do their best at persuading them one way, one should instead do their absolute worst at persuading them in the other direction. Advocating for a game in broken English with terms that are simply not true hardly helps the game's case. That said, if your post was intentional, you're preaching to the quire.

Kelthurin

Jun 18, 2009
Jesus, you people. You're just poison in bandwagon form aren't you? I'll not be linking this article to any of my friends when I want to show them the video, that's for damned certain.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
immortalfrieza said:
sid said:
This kind of occured to me. Can you really blame an MMORPG for being similar to World of Warcraft? Isn't that kind of like blaming a company that makes tennis rackets for being similar in design to Wilson? It's not that they're blatantly copying anything, rather the main issue seems to be that they're the same genre. Sure, Guild Wars steps away from WoW, but only on surface level, more specifically, the art style and fluid gameplay. It still incorporates everything that WoW stands for. Just a thought, maybe the main issue with MMORPGs being shit is that MMORPG itself isn't particularly cool.
It's not the genre of MMO, but the laziness of the developers that makes an MMO that determines if it's going to suck or not. WoW is even after all this time still the big daddy of MMOs, and everybody is copying it hoping to replicate it's success, and so far it hasn't been working, because everybody who's interested in playing a WoW copy is already playing WoW, and those who are copying it tend to do a crappy job of it too. The only other successful subscription based MMO out there is EVE Online, and the reason it's a success is because it's not only a good game, but a very very DIFFERENT game from WoW, and these people making MMOs (or games in general really) haven't realized that people don't want the same crap over and over again, no matter how much better that same crap is over the rest, but very different experiences.
But think about what EVE is in comparison to TES. TES is already in a fantasy scenario, with multiple races, apparently split between various factions. The game is ultimately about catching a freckle of light from its predecessor Skyrim, which already has a whole other set of things characterized as fantasy RPG basics. EVE on the other hand is a game where you operate a spaceship and play corporate head honcho. EVE distinguishes itself because it distances itself from the entire WoW setting right off the bat, and that's why TES Online can't innovate from an MMO perspective, its concept is already WoW.

Now, I'm not saying there isn't space for innovation, there always is, but I feel like TES Online would have to deliberately step away from the MMORPG title in order to be unique, and the developers made it really clear that their game won't be revolutionary.

Smashingpass

Jan 10, 2013
Eh, wasn't great. I've never had my hopes up for this, as I wasn't really a massive fan of Skyrim, nor much of a MMORPGer, so I've not lost much. Might be worth watching a Lets Play, if only to see a little more into the Elder Scrolls Lore, which I find quite interesting.

Kelthurin said:
Jesus, you people. You're just poison in bandwagon form aren't you? I'll not be linking this article to any of my friends when I want to show them the video, that's for damned certain.
[sarcasm]I know, their opinions might infect others. We really should stop some people from using the internet (in particular, forums mostly about video games) to broadcast and discuss their opinions.[/sarcasm]

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
sid said:
Advocating for a game in broken English with terms that are simply not true hardly helps the game's case. That said, if your post was intentional, you're preaching to the quire.
You might want to check your use of the term "quire" before you criticize someone else's English. A quire is a stack of 24-25 sheets of paper or 1/20th of a ream of 500 sheets. A "choir" is an ensemble of singers, including the sort of religious singers to whom one would preach if one were so inclined.

Kelthurin

Jun 18, 2009
Smashingpass said:
Eh, wasn't great. I've never had my hopes up for this, as I wasn't really a massive fan of Skyrim, nor much of a MMORPGer, so I've not lost much. Might be worth watching a Lets Play, if only to see a little more into the Elder Scrolls Lore, which I find quite interesting.

Kelthurin said:
[sarcasm]I know, their opinions might infect others. We really should stop some people from using the internet (in particular, forums mostly about video games) to broadcast and discuss their opinions.[/sarcasm]
Anyone can be made to look like a fool with the right lighting.
Now, if you had picked one of the less reasonable posts, you would understand what I mean.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
008Zulu said:
I am saddened the video doesn't indicate how many times the game crashed. Beta status aside, random crashing is kinda Bethesda's trademark.

Have to agree with it looking like another generic fantasy mmo.
The team that developed Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, etc., is NOT the team that is developing the MMO. That team is most likely hard at work on Fallout 4. This is completely different team, so don't expect the MMO to share much in common with the earlier games, except of course setting, characters, etc.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
I would play it. Couldnt see much of the video, it was lagging to hell. Personally, I would not judge a game by its first 20 minutes of gameplay.

In fact, I think I am going to play it. Looks fun, I am ok with it being similar to WoW (WoW WAS fun, the only thing that kept it fun was the playerbase. Prior to Cata, it was an awesome game). Sure, the classic MMO quests are present. But to be fair, every single RPG you have ever played has two quests. "Kill something." "Fetch something". Its life.

So, eh, see you inside, when its released.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
Amir Kondori said:
008Zulu said:
I am saddened the video doesn't indicate how many times the game crashed. Beta status aside, random crashing is kinda Bethesda's trademark.

The team that developed Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, etc., is NOT the team that is developing the MMO. That team is most likely hard at work on Fallout 4. This is completely different team, so don't expect the MMO to share much in common with the earlier games, except of course setting, characters, etc.
Bethesda/Zenimax are so heavy-handed when it comes to direct involvement in the games made under their stewardship that I find it hard to believe they will be standing idly by as TESO is being developed. It's a safe bet to assume that Beth maintain direct control of bug testing for TESO, and if past performance is any indication, TESO will be just as buggy as Oblivion, RAGE, Skyrim, and New Vegas.

Back on topic, this game looks like typical generic MMO garbage. It's going to go F2P within six months, and no amount of long-term fanboy subscribers is going to change that fact.

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
SonOfVoorhees said:
Generic and boring looking so far. But i guess its just the start of the game, doubt they would give you any really difficult stuff early on. I would rather a TES6 to be honest, not interested in MMOs, dont have time for all their padded out gameplay, to much space in between locations of interest and the constant grind to level up. I played WOW for a month and it was mind numbingly boring, have no idea how people get hooked on it.

So Bethesda, now you have your MMO itch out the way and it will fail. They all fail. Get to making TES6, which is what people actually want, and make it more like Morrowind than Skyrim. :)
KungFuJazzHands said:
Amir Kondori said:
008Zulu said:

Bethesda/Zenimax are so heavy-handed when it comes to direct involvement in the games made under their stewardship that I find it hard to believe they will be standing idly by as TESO is being developed. It's a safe bet to assume that Beth maintain direct control of bug testing for TESO, and if past performance is any indication, TESO will be just as buggy as Oblivion, RAGE, Skyrim, and New Vegas.

Back on topic, this game looks like typical generic MMO garbage. It's going to go F2P within six months, and no amount of long-term fanboy subscribers is going to change that fact.
TESO is not being made by Bethesda. It is being developed by a new studio called Zenimax Online. Bethesda are definitely working on a new Fallout or Elder Scrolls (or both) right now, they just have nothing to show or announce because each iteration of these franchises go through 1-2 years of straight programming and creation/improvement engine-side as well as new developer software, while the creative side is busy doing storyboarding, concept art and other pre-production. Beth's office probably looks rather boring right now, just 10 programmers going *ca-clicka-clicka-clicka* into the night for more than a year, while 20 artists e-mail eachother and Todd from home.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I have to say. I'm a bit tired of "MMO" being a Genre of game, as opposed to just an amount of players.

I get that this style of gameplay is the staple for MMOs, but, my god, it's so boring for a lot of people about now.

Sure, it was good a few years ago, but, are you really saying, that after 10 years, the most we have to show for MMO combat is manual blocking and maybe some dodge mechanics?

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
marcooos said:
I don't buy that. They could literally just make Skyrim but an MMO and it would sell like fucking crazy especially if it was multiplatform, what they are doing here is more laziness than cowardice and it annoys the shit out of me
There isn't an issue of what things COULD be doing, it's a matter of what IS and HAS been done.
There are lots of great things that could be done but unless you yourself were willing to risk millions of dollars investing in it, and I'm sure you can't/wouldn't, neither is anyone else.

Dekar

Apr 16, 2013
That's the problem with internet these days: Ignorance and nerd rage thrives with voracious speed, even by the writer of this article who clearly knows nothing what's he talking about.

There are people here spouting "WoW clone" without even knowning what that really means. I played WoW for many, many years, and I'm not even a big fan of the Elder Scrolls series, but anyone who watches this video and searches a little about this game, can clearly see that this game will be VERY different from WoW. If you don't, either you don't know WoW, didn't searched enough, or is plain stupid. Let me show how much this is different by selecting a few crucial elements of MMORPG and compare it:

GRAPHICS: I've played WoW on best resolution and, let me put this straight, it's still crap. This game, recorded in bad resolution and with graphics sub-optimized by the player, is way better than WoW. Characters actually have EXPRESSIONS, and the ammount of customization is enormous, unlike WoW.

LORE: Don't even get me started on that... WoW lore is beautiful and I read almost all books about it. Even though, Elder Scrolls lore is completely different but very rich and thought thoroughly. I've actually seen people here complaining that they can't see any lore on this video... I mean, come on, this is just some random guy jumping around, tweaking with his console and getting killed by wolves. And also, he didn't read anything anyone had to say...You can't expect to see any lore in this situations. Also, this isn't a official footage, and even them, we can see spots of lore here and there, like the dwemer ruins by the end (where he found a book that, guess what, he didn't read)

QUESTS: After seeing a total of TWO quests, people go and say "WoW clone". That's laughable. Let me just quote this from some guy on Zenimax team talking about quests:
This is a good question. Our quests are designed with purpose in mind, or ?context,? if you prefer. We feel very strongly as a team that quests need to make sense and quest granting should be done in a way that is grounded in the world. While we do have various methods for granting quests, most are given by various NPCs. There are still many that are done in other ways, such as finding books, notes, corpses, etc.
It?s also important to keep in mind that there are many activities that aren?t quests. We feel it is just as important to explore, craft, and do various other activities.

Yeah, we find a lot of books, notes and corpses with quests and WoW, and all of them grounded with the world around them, with very creative background and awesome objetives. Only no. Very seldom we see really intriguing quests.

GAME MECHANICS: Wait...Where's that humongous UI? Those 9 skill bars filled with 10 slots each? Oh wait, its there... Phased, with only 7 slots. I was a hardcore raider and, let me say, restringing use of abilities to 7 slots is gold. No more all we ever do is look to cooldowns and character portraits. We can actually see the GAME now.

BATTLE MECHANICS: Completely opposed to WoW. Seriously, if you ever played a Elder Scrolls game, this is EXACTLY like it, with stealth, blocking, various forms of attack. This particular feature beats WoW, and beat it to agonizing death. It's so superior that can't even be compared with that robotic style of playing that WoW prizes.

I could go forever with all the differences, like character build (which WoW almost completelly removed at Cataclysm) that can range to a full plated battle mage to a roguish-evocator-sword and board fighter. You can be ANYTHING you want. But I guess I covered almost all important aspects of it. Just think and search harder before surrendering to these inane comments.

Oh, and I'm not pulling this up from my ass. I'm playing the beta.