UPDATE: Bungie: Call of Duty Conversation "Might Come Up"

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Cryo84R said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Umm... how? Halo pretty much is just CoD in space...
Obvious troll is obvious.
Wow, I'm sorry for having an opinion and free thought. Obviously something you must lack since you cannot come up with in originality in replies besides a hypocritical trolling /b/ remark...

dududf said:
Assassin Xaero said:
I take it you haven't played either, as the graphics, controls, play style, movement, story, and level of (well lack of) realism are very different.

I don't know how you think Halo=Call of duty. They are different games, and both are good (or at least not that mediocre) in what they do.

Any who, I hope for a new franchise, possibly combining the strengths of each company.
I have Halo 1/2, played 3, and CoD 1, UO, 2, 4, 5, and played 6. From what I played, they were both the same generic type of shooter. Two guns, have to drop one to pick up another, recharging health... only real different I noticed was Halo was in space. Kind of the same with Age of Empires and Starcraft.Sorry I don't sit around and analyze the mechanics behind them.

Graphics - Meh.
Controls - Really? They are FPS games, they controls are pretty much the same for ANY FPS game.
Play Style - Run and gun/noob camp fest. Well, I've actually noticed improvement in CoD, Halo 3 seemed just like 1.
Movement - Ok, in Halo you can jump higher.
Story - Obviously they are different.

But whatever, sorry for having my own opinion about generic FPS games...

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
PVT. SPARTAN!. Spartan you forgot this Spartan laser on the road, you'd forget your ass if it wasn't glued on (me combing cod2 and halo)

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
(Call of duty 7: modern warefare 3) * (Halo 4: combat revolved) = (Call of halo 28: postmodern war-combat evolution.)

There's all kind of blandness up in that *****.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Doomsday11 said:
Finally the covenant attack is basicly the horus hersey san's the awersomness also if you still dont believe me try this chart:
Brutes - Orks more specificly the boyz phycally stronger than an human has low interlect enjoys mindless violence uses hammers
Elites - Elder hyper advanced warrior culture which uses swords and is incredibly gracful wears ornate armour
Jackles - Tau phsycily weak but are amazing snipers use long range rifles
Grunts - Grots
Flood - Tyranids
Spartans - Space marines
USMC - Imperial guard

Guilty spark - Necron's
You're trying far too hard with all but three of those (the underlined ones). And your grammar/spelling is atrocious.

(It's actually UNSC and Eldar by the way)

Plus we all know that

Orks = Orcs*
Eldar = Tolkien Elves* (which are also called Eldar)
Grots = Goblins*
Space Marines = Mobile Infantry (from the Starship Troopers novel)
Necron = Zombies/Undead*

[small]* In SPACE! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlekt6mtovm4vne?from=Main.RecycledINSPACE][/small]

Doomsday11

Apr 15, 2010
Joshimodo said:
Doomsday11 said:
Also COD while it may be generic in your eyes,still was refined to such a standard that even yahtzee could only find minor nitpick with it.
Also on the halo front innovation just go look at yahtzees zp on halo 3 too see just how little inovation there was and all invoarion there actually was just made it worse.
As for 40k lets compare stories shall we in the future a large number of planets are run by a secret evil dictatership(read the halo novels)that secretly kidnapps children to induct them into a secret organisation of supersoilder's wearing power armour sounding designed to combat humanity itself and any uprising agaist the dictartership(space marines were sent during the great crusades to both reclaim humanity and make sure it followed the emperour)Is attacked by a hyper advanced alien race(ok that I will give you happens in many sci-fi stories)on a religous crusade looking for holy artifacts belonging to there long dead ancesters(so religous nuts looking for long lost technolgy that happens to be super advanced even though its thousands of years old sounds like STC's from 40k to me)
Finally the covenant attack is basicly the horus hersey san's the awersomness also if you still dont believe me try this chart:
Brutes - Orks more specificly the boyz phycally stronger than an human has low interlect enjoys mindless violence uses hammers
Elites - Elder hyper advanced warrior culture which uses swords and is incredibly gracful wears ornate armour
Grunts - Grots
Flood - Tyranids
Spartans - Space marines
USMC - Imperial guard
Guilty spark - Necron's
Christ, learn to spell and use paragraphs.

CoD IS generic. Linear corridors filled with either set-piece enemies or infinite respawning ones. Regenerating health. Gradually harder/smarter enemies. 2 guns, some grenades. Brown visuals. Occasional defend sections. The only memorable aspects of the past few CoD games were in CoD4, being the Ghillies in the Mist section and the nuclear bomb going off.

Innovation in the Halo series is it's best aspect. If you honestly go by Yahtzee's review, then you're a dull as I imagine. He doesn't play multiplayer, where Halo 2 and 3 innovate. Halo CE innovated both campaign and multiplayer. CE had FPS sandbox gameplay with vehicles, varied weaponry, quality multiplayer, a story, etc etc., which was revolutionary on consoles. It popularised FPS gaming on consoles.

Halo 2 blitzed multiplayer, introducing playlists, matchmaking, friends lists, voice chat, open custom games and all that jazz. Previously, that had all been on the PC, or non-existent.

Halo 3 improved on those (with the exception of the campaign), and added theatre and screenshot abilities, brilliant online community features, Forge mode, gametype customisation, weekly playlists and hoppers, skill levels/ranks, which were all innovative.

As for your 40k comparison, you do realise that the Covenant are all on the same side, right? They're bound by a religion, whereas all the 40k races are enemies. Spartans were abducted, Space Marines aren't. The Spartans are simply soldiers, whereas the Space Marines are more akin to crusaders, religious zealots who believe in the God-Emperor. The Spartans are part of the UNSC, whereas the Space Marines and Imperial Guard fight from time to time.

Long story short, aside from VERY vague similarities (of which you could find in any multi-race sci-fi or fantasy setting), they share nothing aside from having super soldiers and aliens, which are common in any typical sci-fi. The plots are nothing alike, either.

Riven Armor said:
No, no, I'm with you. I think 2 and 3 were pretty much Reloaded and Revolutions. 3's facial rendering and tiny length didn't sit well with me at all. Good game, but not as great as the diorama trailers or the live-action short Blomkamp directed. Now those were (literally) epic.
Oh, no doubt - Bungie really outdid themselves with the marketing on both Halo 3 and ODST. From the looks of the "Birth of a Spartan" trailer, hopefully we'll see some more.
I'm sorry I don't really believe in arguing on the internet but your and idiot first of all space marines are abducted from feral worlds,hive cities,etc(learn the backround before you start throwing around accusation).
Secondly you say that COD is generic,which I never said it wasn't what I said was that it's better polished then all the other generic fist person shooters out there also everthing that you said is generic about COD also happens to be present in halo so your kinda negating the point.
Also sorry to pull you up on the backround again but space maines are soldiers in the golden age of hunaity they were soldiers they didn't spend there time praying but rather training learning new skills fighting xeno monstrosity's (sound abit familar there?)also space marines and imperial guard are part of the same organization the imperium and yes they fight from time to time due to the nature of the organisation to which they belong in which misorders are common place.
One last while yes similarity's between the races from 40k and other sci-fi epics none have contained so many races with such similar attributes,to me it seems like bungie looked at 40k and nicked the space marine fighting ageist aliens and chaos then removed everthing interesting and contradictory about there characters
(I.E. taking away there religious hysteria and giving that to the covenant and having them under take genocidal campaigns ageist those races that do not belong to their covenant while taking the idea of humanity fighting ageist all odds on its last leg's ageist overwhelming forces which kinda fractures when one spartan defeats this supposedly incible army almost completly on his lonesome).

Anyway I've already said I hate arguing on the web because in the end it's pointless so shall we just finish this?

Doomsday11

Apr 15, 2010
Eldritch Warlord said:
Doomsday11 said:
Grunts - Grots
Flood - Tyranids
Spartans - Space marines
USMC - Imperial guard

Guilty spark - Necron's
You're trying far too hard with all but three of those (the underlined ones). And your grammar/spelling is atrocious.

(It's actually UNSC and Eldar by the way)

Plus we all know that

Orks = Orcs*
Eldar = Tolkien Elves* (which are also called Eldar)
Grots = Goblins*
Space Marines = Mobile Infantry (from the Starship Troopers novel)
Necron = Zombies/Undead*

[small]* In SPACE! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlekt6mtovm4vne?from=Main.RecycledINSPACE][/small]
Well first of all can I first point out I am dyslexic so please cut me some slack on the spelling angle,also reason I didn't put the similarities between the those is because I could not be bothered, the one I would agree with you on is the necron guilt spark thing which is quite a streach which I acknowledge.
The flood is similar to the tyranids in a number of ways the hive mind,the use of parasitic of organisms(such as gene-stealers)the use of biomass and consumption
Spartans children indoctrinated into warfare given the best training and medical procedures to ensure that they can defend mankind(from itself)given suits of power armour which enhances the strength,speed,etc of the user.
UNSC cannon fodder troop's armed with simple combat gear and an assault rifle thrown in droves at the enemy keeping him at bay while the spartans sort everthing out.
Also 40k acknowledges its roots in fantasy the early editions had actual links straight too the fantasy.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Doomsday11 said:
That's not the point. The point is that you bash Halo as a "copy" of Warhammer 40k while 40k is quite literally a straight up Tolkien High Fantasy in space, plus some almost universal sci-fi standards.

And you're quite wrong about Spartans being the brunt of UNSC military might while Marines serve as a cannon fodder army [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedShirtArmy]. The UNSC Marine Corps is really just like the modern US Marine Corps, and up until the exact end of the war Spartans were little more than a combat effective friendly propaganda symbol.

Finding differences in parasite hordes is really down to the details, but the idea of one is deeply rooted in human instinct. In general a parasite horde like the Flood or Tyranids is a swarm of locusts that's homicidal rather than herbicidal.

And yes, we all know that Warhammer 40,000 is Warhammer in space. Just like Warhammer is a grim-dark Dungeons and Dragons, and Dungeons and Dragons is an interactive Lord of the Rings, which is based heavily in European folk-lore and myth. Saying that something can be shown to be loosely related to something in a different fictional universe is hardly any reason to dislike anything.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Riven Armor said:
Joshimodo said:
Doomsday11 said:
please god no...just no

Assassin Xaero said:
you take that back right now COD is/was a good/excellent game halo was a average FPS with a generic hero and a plot that was effectivly copy pasted from warhammer 0k
CoD was a generic brown-a-thon featuring zero innovation.

Halo, while also generic in gameplay and visual features, had a lot of innovation, especially for console FPS games.

Also, 40k? Do you actually know what 40k is?
Disagree. Halo's visuals turned a lot of people onto mainstream gaming and FPS. There are some moments in the first game that are just beautiful, both in music and art. Time even let its traditional back-page opinion focus on it [http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,995582,00.html]:

I've already confessed my unmanly affection for Halo, which may be the single most perfect video game ever made. Halo 2 (for Xbox) hits stores Nov. 9, and it offers more of the same adrenalized, flawlessly orchestrated, hyper-realistic combat (the new game lets you rock two weapons simultaneously, John Woo--style, which is not actually that useful but hella fun), but its real genius lies in its architecture. It's staged like Wagnerian opera: you fight through vast, Olympian structures, combating mind-hurtingly titanic forces, and the effect is precisely that mixture of awe and terror and wonder that the philosopher Edmund Burke called the sublime.
Now somebody writing an article to this tune nowadays would be laughed out of the room, of course. But there just weren't a lot of video games like Halo back when it was released, in terms of art direction or soundtrack or storytelling. Lyrical names like the Pillar of Autumn, an effort to develop and understand alien antagonists, Forerunner architecture and well-done voice acting were all points that its predecessors had missed, even the vaunted Half-Life. I find it amusing beyond end that people can't get enough of dumping on Halo nowadays when it was filled with so many notable accomplishments. Perhaps there were a few games like it before, but it brought together all of those elements and made the mainstream notice. That is commendable.

Also, the Modern Warfare series made a viable game that drew a good lot of details and inspiration from today's conflicts. That in and of itself is a massive achievement. (And it broke the stranglehold of WWII on wartime FPS. Thank goodness.)
I couldn't agree more, the reason why Halo seems so generic now is because it created the modern console FPS and thus was copied to the point of becoming generic. When Halo CE came out it was an incredible game. I remember the first time i walked out of the crashed escape pod and saw the (then) gigantic area in front of me with incredible looking features and the sky going up forever and seeing the ring wrap around on itself and the waterfall in the distance cascading off of a beautifully designed sheer cliff and to look down the vertigo inducing cliff down into the wetlands below...absolutely stunning.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Well, Call of Duty Future Warfare (or whatever they will call it) could be really cool. Bungie has done Halo, so using their prior experience to add to the game would be awesome.

IrirshTerrorist

Jul 25, 2009
I hate when long running franchises do crossovers for some easy cash... This feels like Batman meets ScoobyDoo all over again.

EDIT: /jk

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Wait a minute- IW wanted to do an original IP instead of MW2, but Activision made them make it. Now all of a sudden, they want original IPs because they realize they won't get any from IW and will lose rights to MW? Dick move Activision.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
A Bungie MW? Sure, why not, they couldn't botch the story any more than it has been already.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Well that little rumor got stamped out pretty quick didn't it? Anyway after Reach is over Bungie will move on to a time after Halo. I think their recent Vidoc released with today's weekly update shows that they're ready for something new. And with them being my favorite developer, I'll be with them all the way.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Great... the last thing we needed was Bobby Kotick getting his greasy paws on the makers of Halo... May the Forerunners have mercy on their souls.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Of course they wont put it out of mind...if they can make money from it, then, of course they woll do something with it.

As long, as they dont let them selves get violated like IW did...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
No offense, Bungie, but your smoking dope if you don't think your new corporate masters are going to push you into making CoD for them.