Update: Call of Duty: Ghosts Has 50 GB Install

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
There's no fucking way it has to be that huge. They have to be screwing with us. I don't understand what they could possibly be doing that would require 50 gigs.

Maybe they're shipping their entire developer toolset with it. That would almost make that game worth buying. Modders could do some incredible things with such a varied toolset.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Neronium said:
If you have a decent internet, and are connected into a good enough router, or possibly the modem itself.
If I were to try and download this, it'd take at least a whole day for me.
Oh yeah, round these parts 1Mb/s down is the dog's bollocks. That still takes up, according to my calculations, over 14 hours of solid downloading. And a good quarter of my monthly internet cap.

The game's also, what, US$90? That's rather extravagant for what is, surely, roughly the same game as the last one.

Anyway, whatever. I'm sure at least one of my mates will get it, and will try and get me to play it with him so he can kick my stupid ass.

Edit: Fuck, I'm drunk or something.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Jesus! I have never had a game hit the 25GB mark! Hell the highest I have ever hit for a Steam Download is 20GB and that was Fear 1. Only because it forces you to download the two standalone Expansions with it. That is right STANDALONE. So you are basically forced to download the engine, all the models and textures and gameplay 3 times.

I refuse to believe this game needs 50Gb. I have seen other minimum requirements that say way more then the game actually uses. This will probably be the case here.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
KevinHe92 said:
Evil Smurf said:
Dragonbums said:
Holy Christ.

50 megabytes?

What the hell are they doing?

Don't even get me started on bandwidth and download speeds.
50 meg would only take a couple of minutes to download at the most. 50 gig a couple of hours.
Boy I wish I had your internet. With mine...50gb would take about a month? If speeds are steady CONSTANTLY, then 3 days. But its never steady.
At home I get 11mb/s, Uni is 24mb/s and my uncles house is 15mb/s.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Fucking christ, excuse me?
That's coming up to MMO size. Hell, that's bigger than older MMOs, what the fuck's using all that space?
The extensive COD campaign which all players know and love.

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Rabish Bini said:
hazabaza1 said:
That's coming up to MMO size. Hell, that's bigger than older MMOs, what the fuck's using all that space?
The AI now calls you a ****** if you are playing offline (to simulate the Xbox Live community). That takes up a lot of space.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
...and you people wonder why I'd rather have PHYSICAL copies of my games?
REALLY?

Americans just don't have that fast of net, at least I never have.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
780 is recommended?! I wish i knew what that entailed. I personally think recommended should be everything maxed 1080 no dips below 30fps. Cause honestly a 780(essentially a titan) should run it 2600x1600 maxed out in 3d...

50gb is no biggie a ton of games nodays are well over 20+ so thats not surprising. Still scratching my head at the 780 thing though.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
KevinHe92 said:
Evil Smurf said:
Dragonbums said:
Holy Christ.

50 megabytes?

What the hell are they doing?

Don't even get me started on bandwidth and download speeds.
50 meg would only take a couple of minutes to download at the most. 50 gig a couple of hours.
Boy I wish I had your internet. With mine...50gb would take about a month? If speeds are steady CONSTANTLY, then 3 days. But its never steady.
With mine... well let's just say I envy your internet.

I have physical PC games I can't currently play because they include a large mandatory download.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Rabish Bini said:
hazabaza1 said:
The AI now calls you a ****** if you are playing offline (to simulate the Xbox Live community). That takes up a lot of space.
That gave me a hearty chuckle! Thanks.

I wonder if they'll include mid-war AI teabagging capabilities.

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Rabish Bini said:
Evil Smurf said:
Rabish Bini said:
hazabaza1 said:
That gave me a hearty chuckle! Thanks.

I wonder if they'll include mid-war AI teabagging capabilities.
No problem man, I like making people laugh :D

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
The most strange thing is the 50gigs doesn't even phase me... it's the fact that Call of Duty is STILL this popular as to warrent that kind of investment.

Hell, I haven't enjoyed them since CoD2.

I never go over my 500 gigs a month limit so this would actually somehow put a dent in it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
CoD isn't known for having large maps. Sounds like laziness on their part. I guess that this is another overpriced CoD game I'll never buy.
Shouldn't be a problem for those buying a physical console copy, since a dual-layered BR disc has enough space.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Next Gen, ladies and gentlemen!, 50 gb of emotions space for a 6 hour game.

Excuse me while I return to play Avernum, I've clocked 20 hours on an open world 26 mb game.

I'm OK to install an 8 ~ 12 gb SP game that lasts me longer than 6 hours, I'm totally OK with a massive, sprawling RPG or RTS that weighs up to 10+ gb, sometimes 15 gb and I'm totally OK installing a 40 gb MMO (I love The Secret World), but it's just NOT COOL and even ludicrous to install 50 gb with a 6 hours campaign and a bunch of MP maps that's only going to be ditched out the next year with the next installment.