Update: Grand Theft Auto V Announced on Jack Thompson's Disbarment Anniversary

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Mcoffey said:
XT inc said:
Go back to the old ways for five please, GTA 4 is why I own both Saints row games and am Getting the third.

Cousins, taxis to circumvent having to drive, only a tiny fraction of activities and character customization of the old games.

Sure the bank heist was awesome, but overall not to GTA'ee.
SomeLameStuff said:
Greg Tito said:
newfangled controller.
Screwed that bit up there =P

Anyway, I hope it goes back to San Andreas style gameplay. GTA 4 was a little too... serious... for my liking.

Which is why I'll be getting Saint's Row 3.
Cant there be room in the world for both? I loved Saints Row 2 as much as the next guy (And my only experience with it was the terrible PC port), but GTA IV was one of the best games I've ever played.

I am deeply excited for this trailer, but I wonder if they'll be using the same engine as GTA IV?

And since the font used in the "V" is in the same style used in American currency, is it safe to assume that this one will also take place in America? That's too bad. Personally I'd kind of hoped the next game would be about Packie and wherever he went on that plane with his bag of money. He did mention he wanted to see Ireland. And Australia. Those could be cool settings.
There can be room for both, there was room for both.

The issue is GTA was to The Getaway, what Saints Row is now to GTA.

it used to be an over the top, crazy fun, shenanigans crime game, and then it had to get all serious.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
LostCrusader said:
Don't think grand theft auto: London would work to well. Not very many standoffs with the cops would be very challenging since they wouldn't have guns.
The british policed are armed to the teeth, just when they need to be.

I hope they retain the physics engine but sharpen up vehicle handling. Don't have any other hopes for it thus far though, going to wait to see the trailer first.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Considering that Rockstar has taken a liking to video games with amazingly well-written stories (one presented well, Red Dead Redemption, and one presented fairly terribly, L.A. Noire, thankfully not made by them) I'm looking forward to what they decide to do with this. A more serious story, or more over the top like previous entries?

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Im hoping for one set in London, or actually Great Britain in general.

Imagine tearing down houses and streets in a tank in a small village in southern Wales.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I want to see a return to the 80s, vice city was in my opinion the best gta game.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Doclector said:
Please let there be actual, y'know, fun things to do between missions.
Yea.
I have to say I too am looking forward to SR3 more than gta5 and it's mostly because of that: Saints Row is now the content packed title with tons of things to do besides running through the main story.

I'm expecting this will be another bare bones game which they'll once again try and use the "gritty story" excuse to leave out some of the more absurd gameplay only to add some more of the craziness later for $20+.

I think I'll probably just wait for whatever goty version they'll eventually release; gta just doesn't do it for me the way it used to. It's just another one of those franchises that was great last gen but has since lost its luster.

At least we'll always have San Andreas.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Didnt think much of the last GTA game as it was boring. To much realism can kill a game. So will wait and see what they do with the next one. Hopefully back to the witty times of Vice City would be awesome.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
For.I.Am.Mad said:
Looks like it's headed to Washington DC.
Interesting, I was thinking Vegas but I can definitely see the D.C. vibe from it.

As long as its like Vice City I wont be mad, my teachers will be for lack of turned in homework, but I wont be.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
My vote goes to Vice City. That way we lose the brown gritty coffee filter that we viewed GTA 4. Because theres no way the map designers would let brown into a white-towered sunny resort city.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I haven't even finished GTA IV yet. (It's literally sitting in my drive as I write this.) IV seems to suffer from a degree of feature bloat; it kept adding things and never considered giving the player the option of saying "Look, enough already! I never want to go bowling again! I know you put way too much time into your cut scenes, but I can't be assed to go back to the theater! I don't want to have to screw with my cell phone in the middle of traffic, and I don't even remember how to use the stupid subway three missions later!"

It also seems to have the problem that afflicted many of the GTAs: for all the "you can do whatever you want" chrome, you can't escape the stupidities inherent to the central plotline. You can never say, "You know, I think I have enough money that I can stop running missions for pocket change for psychotics who want me dead, sometimes at cross purposes with earlier missions from other psychotics who are even more likely to want me dead because I've just effectively and unknowingly double-crossed them by blindly accepting this mission."

Cousin! It's Niko. Here, do me a favor: take this $10,000, get the fuck out of town, and don't call me until I call you.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Vegas is usually represented by neon lights and poker chips. The 'V' is something you would see on a dollar bill.

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
GTA V: London?

No.

You'd get away with murder, literally, as the police are very rarely found wandering the streets and secondly, as someone else said, UK police get pointy sticks in place of guns. Modern London gangsters would be a nice twist but to be fair it wouldn't be too difficult to have a Cockney gangster who happens to live in sunny San Andreas and give him all the cliche stories and quotes.

I know we've been over this, but I'd quite like to see GTA V: Wild West, where in place of cars we were given horses, and instead of drug cartels we had highwaymen and moonshiners, and in place of rocket launches and uzis we have Wild West themed guns... and hey, instead of prostitutes we could have, um, prostitutes. /sarcasm

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
When I first saw that logo - or specifically the "V" it made me think of gambling as in the Vegas variety, though it is of course more like like something you'd see on a note. So it probably tells us nothing about the game content.

Not too long to wait for a trailer though really. Oh, and just for a laugh Rockstar, make this game similar in tone to GTAIV. It'll be worth it, just to noise up all those people...:)

But really, the game should be set in Edinburgh, or at least it's GTA-world equivalent. Then you could crash your car into the HQ of a game company that would totally not be based on Rockstar North. :) More likely they will be going with an American locale again though...

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
It won't be set in England.

As someone has pointed out, it's the same Five found on an old dollar.

Plus it's got that American green inside the V.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Game company milks successful franchise.

In other news, bear defecates in wooded area.

I suspect they're going to do another retro GTA. 1970s this time, maybe? They've done 1980s and 1990s.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
Anjel said:
GTA V: London?

No.

You'd get away with murder, literally, as the police are very rarely found wandering the streets and secondly, as someone else said, UK police get pointy sticks in place of guns. Modern London gangsters would be a nice twist but to be fair it wouldn't be too difficult to have a Cockney gangster who happens to live in sunny San Andreas and give him all the cliche stories and quotes.

I know we've been over this, but I'd quite like to see GTA V: Wild West, where in place of cars we were given horses, and instead of drug cartels we had highwaymen and moonshiners, and in place of rocket launches and uzis we have Wild West themed guns... and hey, instead of prostitutes we could have, um, prostitutes. /sarcasm
It is called Red Dead Redemption, go buy it