Update: Grand Theft Auto V Announced on Jack Thompson's Disbarment Anniversary

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Nurb said:
No more "grim, real and gritty", Rockstar! Some whacky humor is what got you your fans. Go back to using color and wild ideas instead of trying to be like a damn movie.

Good choices:
-70's chicago
-60's london
-Modern Paris
-80's Denver (Remember all those lame movies involving RAD, BODACIOUS skiing skills?)
-Focusing on San Fransico or Vegas.
-Maaaybe parts of the UK during the height the troubles with Northern Ireland? Dunno

Can do without:
-New york again
-LA (look, it was fun, but something new is better)

There's so much potential, I just don't want to see the same game with a new expensive and bloated graphics engine that forces the map to be smaller and cause terrible performance.
I like your style- THIS is more like it.

Personally I think it's time they gave London '69 the 3D treatment. It's long overdue, and I've been waiting too long to get some car-soccer happening again like in the original.

I'll still be interested if it's any one of the other times/places listed above, but if it's modern day, has the same car physics, has the same walking physics, has fewer features than San Andreas, or has annoying people constantly calling you, then I'm done with GTA. Saint's Row wears it's sandbox crown well, and I consider Just Cause to be the heir, if there has to be one...

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Mcoffey said:
XT inc said:
There can be room for both, there was room for both.

The issue is GTA was to The Getaway, what Saints Row is now to GTA.

it used to be an over the top, crazy fun, shenanigans crime game, and then it had to get all serious.
And it also used to be a top-down drag racing game. It changed.

I always figured Rockstar felt they couldn't tell a compelling crime story until the technology evolved a bit. Now it can.

It's still over the top crazy fun, it's just also found a way to tell a fantastic story as well.
I'll Have to disagree, the game almost felt muted and gray compared to older games, Driving around in my uncustomized car, to park out front of a building, knowing full well if it gets damaged I will never see it again. Having to go to a gun store to buy a slew of par for the course weaponry.

I guess it felt numb after a while, what it had to offer felt completely unneeded, and the few gems that one could do over and over again, I.e stealing cop cars to get intel to do hits.

If I were to put it into a phrase I would say GTA 4 made Being the most bad ass criminal in an entire city, feel like you were pushing papers at a 9-5. I played through it twice and can nary remember a thing about it, but saints row 2 has dozens of memories of fun stuff I have done or created.

There is no doubt gta 4 is prettier and more Polished looking, but its like a M&M with a double thick wax and candy shell and the filling was white bread.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Nice to see Rockstar still has a sense of humor. Hopefully it will be in a new locale, not a retread of old ground, not that GTA IV was bad.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
As long as we're not in Liberty City, I'm good. I would love to see a shiny version of Vice City, but thinking about it, GTA: Vice City was probably the best of the series not only because it was fun but because it was just such a great swipe at the Reagan years in general. Detroit's out too, since it basically is a real-world Grand Theft Auto level. So where could you set it? Well, Seattle wants to get in on the action, I'm sure, Canada would be fun, as would Rome, London, Dallas-Ft. Worth, but I'm thinking the best place to do a GTA game would be Washington D.C.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
remnant_phoenix said:
Dear Rockstar,

New GTA? Meh.

When you make a new Red Dead, get back with me.

Sincerely,
Still Standing Resolute Near John Marston's Grave
god that was depressing

[spoiler/]..in an attepmpt to end things the way I wanted i had jack marston dress in a suit and pick flowers [/spoiler]

also why are people complaining somuch about GTA being too serious? its notalways a bad thing

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well, judging form how gta 4 sold (sadly i helped that) i guess 5 is going in the same direction, so, crap.

also why are people complaining somuch about GTA being too serious? its notalways a bad thing
Itsn ot always a bad thing, but in GTA4s case it ruined the game.

Ready2Go

Jun 7, 2010
I'm praying for boston,philly,chicago,london or new orleans
any where place with a large irish mob presence is enough for me.
personally i hope i get to play as a irish-american or even a half irish person
mainly because i loved the McCreary family and i'm tired of playing as the italians

Demented_Sadist

Oct 22, 2011
The "V" logo either means one of these four things.

1. That you play as a member of the European Central Bank governing committee, in a frantic attempt to set fiscal policy that will enable the continued survival of all of the EU members, or

2. It means Rockstar are finally doing a GTA featuring the real criminals/gangsters of this world: Bankers.
Think about it, you still get flashy cars, hookers, money, dodgy dealings, strip clubs, drugs, mobile phones, and swanky clothes...GTA V: Wall Street/The City.

3. It's the white collar crime game, you go to work in a suit and try and embezzle billions.
Or you're an investment/fractional reserve banker and you get to squander your bonus on booze and cocaine, drive fast Italian sports cars, all with your ultra-hot east European girl in micro-skirt PA on your arm.

4. That you murder a lot of people and steal their money.

Im going with 4. XD

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Greg Tito said:
Update: Grand Theft Auto V Announced on Jack Thompson's Disbarment Anniversary

After years of speculation, Rockstar sends the first official word that GTAV is on its way.

Update: In what may or may not be a coincidence, careful internet observers noticed that Rockstar's announcement today coincides with the three-year anniversary of Jack Thompson's disbarment in the State of Florida. Thompson won his fame by suing Rockstar for selling "murder simulators" like Bully and GTA to minors, but his behavior in court belittling judges and defendants alike ended in his rights to argue in Florida courts being revoked in 2008. The effective date of Thompson's disbarment? October 25th. Well played, Rockstar.

Original Post: In 2001, Grand Theft Auto III sparked a revolution of open-world games and incited protests from groups saying it romanticized violence. The title catapulted Rockstar Games from a small shop in the U.K. to a worldwide brand. Follow-ups such as Vice City and San Andreas set in different cities sold extremely well, as did the first iteration on 7th generation consoles - GTAIV in 2008. After years of game journalists following parent company Rockstar's website today [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112173-Take-Two-Plays-Coy-About-Next-Grand-Theft-Auto] shows the first official word of the hotly anticipated sequel.

Yep, just a logo. And a date for when we'll see a glimpse of the first official trailer on November 2nd, 2011. That's all we get, folks.

And yet, it's enough to get my blood pumping. Where will the game be set - back in Rockstar's version of New York Liberty City - or maybe a return to southern California in San Andreas? Personally, I'd love to see a GTA game set in Rockstar founders Dan and Sam Houser's hometown of London, England.

Obviously, we don't have much to go on here other than a new Grand Theft Auto logo. We don't have a release window or even know what platforms such a game will be on. My cash money's on the Wii U, but that's just me. I want to be able to take a cell phone call using that newfangled controller. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112261-Patent-Documents-Reveal-Wii-U-Controller-Details]

"Hey, Cousin!"

Source: Rockstar [http://www.rockstargames.com/]

oh come on escapist we've had a forum thread about this for at least a day and you come up with this? , we already concluded most people are looking forward to Saints row the third and that we don't think there's much to expect , the game still being released in this generation

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
I would love to see a gta game not set in america but am guessing 5 still will be.

I will still play it when it is released and follow news and trailers, but will most likely be a rental at first unlike gta4 which was a pre order.

alexjones89

Nov 9, 2009
DonMartin said:
Im hoping for one set in London, or actually Great Britain in general.

Imagine tearing down houses and streets in a tank in a small village in southern Wales.

I'm from a small village in southern Wales, yes that would be amazing.

On a different note GTA, in my opinion is much better than Saints Row, bought Saints Row 2 last year to see what all the fuss was about and absolutely hated it. It was wild and insane, but felt like a chore to play.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Am I the only one annoyed by that "FIVE" draped across the V? It's like they remembered at the last second that people might get confused and start calling it "GTA Vee" or something. Are people really that stupid?

... Yes, I suppose they are.

Strazdas said:
Itsn ot always a bad thing, but in GTA4s case it ruined the game.
That's your opinion. My opinion is that it shows Rockstar is willing to make something more than just games you use to kill time. I think they're miles ahead of Bioware when it comes to writing, though I'm sure not many would agree. Stories don't need to be epic or be about shining beacons of hope for humanity in order to be good and engaging.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Wow... I didn't realize how alone I was in my admiration of GTA IV.

Seriously, guys, there's room for all kinds of games. The chaotic "fucking-around" sandboxes of Saint's Row 2 and Just Cause 2, and the immersive sandbox of GTAIV, with the friendship mechanics unlike anything else I've ever seen in a game.

Yes, the art direction and driving mechanics sucked, but the writing was amazing. Niko Bellic is one of the greatest game protagonists of all time.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Demented_Sadist said:
The "V" logo either means one of these four things.

1. That you play as a member of the European Central Bank governing committee, in a frantic attempt to set fiscal policy that will enable the continued survival of all of the EU members, or

2. It means Rockstar are finally doing a GTA featuring the real criminals/gangsters of this world: Bankers.
Think about it, you still get flashy cars, hookers, money, dodgy dealings, strip clubs, drugs, mobile phones, and swanky clothes...GTA V: Wall Street/The City.

3. It's the white collar crime game, you go to work in a suit and try and embezzle billions.
Or you're an investment/fractional reserve banker and you get to squander your bonus on booze and cocaine, drive fast Italian sports cars, all with your ultra-hot east European girl in micro-skirt PA on your arm.

4. That you murder a lot of people and steal their money.

Im going with 4. XD
Any of these would be awesome (though the first and third seem unlikely).

I might actually like to play a GTA game where you have the option of infiltrating a white-collar criminal organization and doing a stealth-mission in a corporate office building to facilitate embezzlement.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
I hate to be a jerk about this, but I'm pretty sure by the time this comes out I will have gone into a coma of happiness from how much fun I'm going to have with Saints Row: The Third. The day that Grand Theft Auto can match firing an octopus out of a gun from the top of a hover bike is the day I return to the series.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Harry Mason said:
I hate to be a jerk about this, but I'm pretty sure by the time this comes out I will have gone into a coma of happiness from how much fun I'm going to have with Saints Row: The Third. The day that Grand Theft Auto can match firing an octopus out of a gun from the top of a hover bike is the day I return to the series.
Or you could...enjoy both of them and get both of them? Especially since one is coming out way sooner than another? Nah, you're right, that's crazy.