Update: Grand Theft Auto V Announced on Jack Thompson's Disbarment Anniversary

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
No cellphones, no cousins, no bowling, no Schnew Yorke, and please open the damn map from the start. Make it so you get killed by psycho gangs in some parts but please open up the map. Who the hell cared about Alderney 40 hours in?

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
DanielDeFig said:
Bets anyone?
-will he/she be hispanic? (the only "ethnicity/race" they haven't done yet)
Luis from The Ballad Of Gay Tony was hispanic. It's been done.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Please, no cousins. Please.

I'm actually excited, otherwise. Rockstar should consider picking an entirely untapped locale, like Chicago or Huston.
or Glasgow!

OT: well played, rockstar. well played.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Acoording to rumours it´ll be set in LA again. That´s fine by me, but don´t for heaven´s sake give me another hip-hop "in the hood" story. I wouldn´t be able to play another 30 hour game like that without shooting myself.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
If its true they did this to coincide with Jack Thompsons disbarment, then rockstar just epically trolled Thompson.

though like I said in the user made thread about this, saints row the third already has me sold.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
GaltarDude1138 said:
My vote goes to Vice City. That way we lose the brown gritty coffee filter that we viewed GTA 4. Because theres no way the map designers would let brown into a white-towered sunny resort city.
Backtracking with the thread a bit here but still. I remember thinking back when playing GTAIV that Vice City would be a potential venue for the next game. Either in the main game or the BoGT expansion, is there not a mission where you have to attack some people that are loading up some boats that are shipping drugs between Liberty City and Vice City. Given how Rockstar seem have grown to like having the paths of various characters converge (as happened in the GTA expansions) you could see one of your missions in the theoretical GTAV set in Vice City being the other side of that particular drug run.

After all, we have seen what Liberty City looks like in the (alternate) present day, so maybe they could give Vice City the same treatment. And as it's Vice City, it would of course need to be sunny and have beaches, which would make a pleasant change again. Also, the logo features a prominent five in Roman numerals. Or a letter V. Ahah! Genius.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
I think its interesting how now saints row and gta have got a lot of comparisions, its almost like a whole new console war in mini.

But really im not fussed about gta 5, gta 4 was kinda a boring mess for me and if saints row 3 is even half as good as saints row 2, then gta might well lose out big time here.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Lokithrsourcerer said:
LostCrusader said:
Don't think grand theft auto: London would work to well. Not very many standoffs with the cops would be very challenging since they wouldn't have guns.
we do have cops with guns in uk just not all of them. so if u had the wanted stars you'd get armed cops after you.

they already did a GTA london and it was good :D
Sandor [The Hound said:
Clegane]
LostCrusader said:
Don't think grand theft auto: London would work to well. Not very many standoffs with the cops would be very challenging since they wouldn't have guns.
You know a lot of them do these days, in fact an awful lot of them do, especially around Westminster and the Holbourn area.

And of course theres always the armed response units on reserve, no reason it couldn't be set in London. - but looking at the logo I really doubt it will be.
I'll go ahead and say I'm not from the UK so correct me if I'm wrong.
I was under the impression UK police didn't carry guns but still had a SWAT team. So if the regular patrols in game don't have guns, then running would be pretty damn easy until you hit 3 stars to call swat.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Really? Not GTA: Elsewhere? Not GTA: Wherever Stories? Rockstar, are you aware that you are saying this game will be to GTAIV what GTAIV was to GTAIII?

I doubt that they'll be coming back to their roots, and as such I doubt I'll care about this any more than as something to compare unfavourably to the Saints' Row series.

Bran1470

Feb 24, 2010
I've been waiting so long for this moment i can finally sleep peacefully at night know that the next GTA is just around the corner

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
Something interesting I found on the internet.

Looks like a spade from a deck of cards a little right? Cards, Gambling, Venturas. Also, the colour is Green. Which is money, obviously and it does look like a US bill, but green was also Grove Streets colours.

But there was something else I found.

Plane ticket seen in GTA IV. To San Andreas. Whats so important? The flight leaves at 10:15. The exact time that the announcement is to be made according to the logo.

Interesting coincedence.

Either way, if it's like GTA IV, I dont think I'll buy it. If it's closer to San Andreas/Vice City. I might buy it, used.

All about The Row here.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
I think its more likely that they're just trying to steal a little bit of Saints Row 3's thunder.

Can't be assuming its coming out for Q3-4 2012 that'll put it in the same release window as GTA4 as compared to SR2.
Hopefully Rockstar takes itself a bit less seriously this time around, else wise Saints Row is going to beat the pants of them again. (In terms of fun, not sales ;))

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Waaghpowa said:
Why did they feel the need to put "five" over the Roman numeral? Redundant title is redundant, that or they assume people are stupid.

On a different note, no more bullshit with friends and cousins please.
but its Roman (numeral) your cousin ... hey you want to go bowling?.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
Greg Tito said:
Update: In what may or may not be a coincidence, careful internet observers noticed that Rockstar's announcement toady coincides with the three-year anniversary of Jack Thompson's disbarment in the State of Florida.
Just pointing this out. It bugged me.
On topic, I can't see this as anything but a nice little jab at Mr.Thompson. He got what he deserved.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Father Time said:
Anodos said:
Father Time said:
ScorpioT said:

Looks familiar? Silver certificate from 1899. Surely it means nothing.
It could be a coincidence.

Remember this:

What am i looking at, exactly? What is that?
Remember when Rockstar put Lost and Damned, and Ballad of Gay Tony onto a disc? Well the "Liberty City it's Over" part was a fake advertisement in the manual (minus the red arrows).

Some people were like "hey the tear looks like the west coast of France" (hence the map of Europe) and from there speculated that the next GTA would take place in France.

After that Rockstar said they still hadn't decided where they wanted the next GTA to take place (that was last year though).
But wasnt that Red Dead Redemption? It sure looks like it was.

OT: My bet is San Andreas again, the engine seems to be handling bigger areas from what we saw in RDR and the money apparently plays a BIG role in the game since its part of the logo, maybe it will have something do to with politics and corruption. Between VC and SA I choose SA, now if they decide to bring a new city then I have no idea on what it could be.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Mcoffey said:
XT inc said:
Go back to the old ways for five please, GTA 4 is why I own both Saints row games and am Getting the third.

Cousins, taxis to circumvent having to drive, only a tiny fraction of activities and character customization of the old games.

Sure the bank heist was awesome, but overall not to GTA'ee.
SomeLameStuff said:
Greg Tito said:
newfangled controller.
Screwed that bit up there =P

Anyway, I hope it goes back to San Andreas style gameplay. GTA 4 was a little too... serious... for my liking.

Which is why I'll be getting Saint's Row 3.
Cant there be room in the world for both? I loved Saints Row 2 as much as the next guy (And my only experience with it was the terrible PC port), but GTA IV was one of the best games I've ever played.

I am deeply excited for this trailer, but I wonder if they'll be using the same engine as GTA IV?

And since the font used in the "V" is in the same style used in American currency, is it safe to assume that this one will also take place in America? That's too bad. Personally I'd kind of hoped the next game would be about Packie and wherever he went on that plane with his bag of money. He did mention he wanted to see Ireland. And Australia. Those could be cool settings.
Aw man, Packie was awesome. One of my favorite characters.

OT:Well there goes my vision of Little Jacob in Jamaica :( Oh well, I've always loved the GTA series. Never beat the stories for any of them but IV, but damn is it fun to mess around in!