Update: Hackers Bring Down LoL, DoTA 2, Blizzard, EA Servers

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
A police raid? I'd sue the shit out of that police department. What happened to simple knock on the door and peaceful apprehension? He's not a fuckin' terrorist. He's a suspect in a DDoS attack! It's not even real hacking. Suspicion that someone might be involved in hacking doesn't justify a fuckin' raid on his house. When did this become the norm? I used to laugh at the SWAT team raiding the house of that hacker from the movie "Hackers" but that's the reality these days. A fuckin' police state. Only in America. And let's face it. The same is happening in the UK.
People who had his address and name were reporting that he was holding hostages. With shotguns and shit, basically saying he was a crazy fucker. At first it wasn't about the DDoS, but after that the police naturally get suspicious.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
A police raid? I'd sue the shit out of that police department. What happened to simple knock on the door and peaceful apprehension? He's not a fuckin' terrorist. He's a suspect in a DDoS attack! It's not even real hacking. Suspicion that someone might be involved in hacking doesn't justify a fuckin' raid on his house. When did this become the norm? I used to laugh at the SWAT team raiding the house of that hacker from the movie "Hackers" but that's the reality these days. A fuckin' police state. Only in America. And let's face it. The same is happening in the UK.
well if you can thrown in jail for facebook comment you can be arrested for streaming as well. America has been a police state since 2001 btw, nothing new here.

Only im America, and UK, and France, and Germany, and... you get the point.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
well the obvious response would be to play a game that doesn't need to connect to any server.

Also, I don't think A DDOS attack is really hacking. Anyone with access to a server network can push a button to do a DDOS attack. No hacking skill involved.
It's still hugely illegal, and it sounds like the police aren't far off the scents of those responsible. The sooner the better, really... it's a real shame this all happened to PhantomLord. A shitty thing for anyone to have to go through.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
We had to bail from Starbucks when the police showed up and started asking questions.
Kind of makes them seem less threatening.
LOL!

But OT, maybe I missed something in the article, but what did he do to gain their animosity in the first place? Was he a random target, or did he actually do something?

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Well the good news is this kind of thing will stop once the clueless general internet using public spinelessly give up their rights and let "Big Brother" take over. Oh wait, actually it won't stop, but I'll bet the whole spineless giving away of freedoms will continue as planned.

Thanks a bunch you Neo-Luddite joyriding "for the lulz" assholes.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Quellist said:
Also i'm not so fond of blaming the victim for this, if he didnt 'egg them on' then why should he be expected to curtail his gaming becuase a bunch of dicks have taken issue with him?
Because by continuing to stream online games he inconvenienced hundreds of thousands of gamers whereas streaming a single player game would inconvenience nobody? As soon as 2 games went dead because of DDOS attacks he should have clued in to the matter.
Zachary Amaranth said:
OT, maybe I missed something in the article, but what did he do to gain their animosity in the first place? Was he a random target, or did he actually do something?
As far as I can tell, he was just one of the most popular streamers.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
major_chaos said:
What this article doesn't mention is that the "victim" here was in contact with the DDOS-ers egging them on (IIRC the taking down DoTA2 if he loses thing was his idea) and telling people that if they subscribe (which costs money on Twitch IIRC) he would act as a go between to let them ask the assholes from DERP questions. He isn't victim in any way here, his channel has never had so many viewers/subs.

I've been looking at the twitter, and DerpTrolling has a lot of tweets to PhantomL0rd, who appears to have deleted all but 1 of his tweets aimed back at them. All I can think is: What a pussy. If you are going to pull shit like this online, have the balls to face what you've done when it moves offline.

These sort of people just strike me as pathetic losers.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I want to know how they got his address. Did they get into his email or some gaming payment system to get his billing info? Was it on said on facebook or twitter by some idiot that knows him? Or did he or someone around him spout it out while he was wearing that headset around the house? It seems like no one in this situation is even sharp enough to be considered being put in the tool shed. His police friend also could have made it worse on PhantomLord and himself by telling him about a police raid on his house for a hostage situation.

I only watched his after raid video and he seems like the kind of person on facebook that posts too much info about their vacation plans and then wonders why their tv is missing when they get back. It probably wouldn't of stopped the police call but he should have gone to a single player game(like everyone on Escapist has said) to see what would have happened instead of spreading this disease to more severs. Hopefully, they finally got bored and will leave him alone.

Also, isn't Phantom Lord a dark guild in the Fairy Tail manga? Maybe the police thought they kidnapped Lucy again.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Strazdas said:
Adam Jensen said:
well if you can thrown in jail for facebook comment you can be arrested for streaming as well. America has been a police state since 2001 btw, nothing new here.

Only im America, and UK, and France, and Germany, and... you get the point.
You should really watch the update video. Apparently these DDOS's sent in a call to the Police, about him having hostages. Seems like a much more appropriate response to the situation with all the information.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
If putting handcuffs, pointing an "automatic" (aka. a GUN) at him and making him sit in a car while they search his house is the worst thing the police subject this guy to, then he has nothing to whine about.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So it's happening right now, the group targeted another streamer who dared to try and play league of legends well aware of this, taking the EUW servers down and the league community spams the url to his stream all over the forums and hurls abuse at his stream chat nonstop because victim blaming makes the community look even better and he should empower the bullies by shutting the stream down instead of ruining *their* game.
The "hacker" group gets the bare minimum of mention and basically no blame, of course it's the streamers fault that the baby doesn't have its rattle now.

Fuck people.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
CCP has just announced that EvE Online is now under attack as well. DERP are taking credit. Told them twitch TV integration would turn around and bite them, surprised it happened like this and so soon.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
kailus13 said:
Quellist said:
Also i'm not so fond of blaming the victim for this, if he didnt 'egg them on' then why should he be expected to curtail his gaming becuase a bunch of dicks have taken issue with him?
Because by continuing to stream online games he inconvenienced hundreds of thousands of gamers whereas streaming a single player game would inconvenience nobody? As soon as 2 games went dead because of DDOS attacks he should have clued in to the matter.
Zachary Amaranth said:
OT, maybe I missed something in the article, but what did he do to gain their animosity in the first place? Was he a random target, or did he actually do something?
They were following him around hitting everything he was doing. They could've just DDoS'd twitch.tv if he decided to play an offline game. Like it or not, streaming for some people is a job. You can't just pack up and call it a day with your job so neither can he.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Police raid? What is this, Athene's Stream?

[sub][sub]HA! Classic.[/sub][/sub]

Poor PL, streaming is his job, you can't just *stop* streaming because some bellend with a keyboard says so. They took down EU West too, leave us alone you dicks. Riot can barely hold the server together as it is. I really don't get how people are blaming PL at all, you try having a hostage squad almost arrest you out of nowhere see how you react.

Also yeah DDOS ain't hacking technically. We learned how to DDOS (really, really badly) in basic computing classes, it's super easy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
kailus13 said:
Ah. I'm not horribly surprised. I sort of wish I was, but I've grown used to people being attacked/harassed simply for being known.

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
FalloutJack said:
So, hackers are being dumbasses and making themselves a nice big target again. Looks like Bubba's getting company soon.
Ironically they targeted some of the games with complete rabid,nasty,snarky,entitled dickheads in a VERY VOCAL minority of the fanbase,
and as people said,why didn't this guy just play offline once he knew his fave games were being targeted,
entitlement,
the elixir of the new age.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
schiz0phren1c said:
Ironically they targeted some of the games with complete rabid,nasty,snarky,entitled dickheads in a VERY VOCAL minority of the fanbase,
Yeah, that's a pretty good description of EvE Online's player base.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
schiz0phren1c said:
FalloutJack said:
So, hackers are being dumbasses and making themselves a nice big target again. Looks like Bubba's getting company soon.
and as people said,why didn't this guy just play offline once he knew his fave games were being targeted,
entitlement,
the elixir of the new age.
So...hackers being dumbasses and getting their asses probably landed in jail for an utterly pointless reason, thus doubling their accrued stupidity markers?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
These people are technically hackers, since they are exploiting a weakness in a computer system, however I agree that they have very little credibility because they are likely using pre-written scripts they've downloaded somewhere.