Update: Mega Man Creator Kickstarts Mighty No. 9

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Mega Man Creator Kickstarts Mighty No. 9

[kickstarter=mightyno9/mighty-no-9]
Still pining over Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune's departure from Capcom? Then help him Kickstart Mighty No. 9.

Everything about creator Keiji Inafune left the company [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9?ref=recently_launched]).

"Mighty No. 9 is an all-new Japanese side-scrolling action game that takes the best aspects of the 8- and 16-bit era classics you know and love, and transforms them with modern tech, fresh mechanics, and fan input into something fresh and amazing!"

The project is being spearheaded by Inafune himself, who is bringing on an all-star team to help him out, including the level designer from the original Mega Man: Naoya Tomita, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Darkstalkers 3 character designer Kimo Kimo, original Mega Man composer Manami Matsumae, and Mega Man Legends art director Shinsuke Komaki.

[gallery=1731]

It's an impressive lineup of developers, and the Kickstarter page's [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9?ref=recently_launched] description of the game promises a true Mega Man-style experience for fans of the blue bomber. "Run, jump, blast, and transform your way through six stages (or more, via stretch goals) you can tackle in any order you choose, using weapons and abilities stolen from your enemies."

Mighty No. 9 is being developed for the PC with gamepad support, and will be made available through Steam and DRM-free digital distribution methods. Other platforms are a possibility, but only if certain stretch goals are hit.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9?ref=recently_launched]

Update: Mighty No. 9 has hit its funding goal of $900,000 in just under four days. Its first stretch goal is at $1,200,000, which promises to add two extra stages to the game if reached. As of writing, the Kickstarter is sitting at $1,073,510.

Update #2: The first stretch goal: 2 extra stages at $1.2 million, has been reached! The Kickstarter shows no signs of slowing down so stay tuned for more updates.

Update #3: The second stretch goal, at $1.35 million, has been reached, promising Mac and Linux versions of the game when it's released through Steam.

Update #4: Mighty No. 9 has smashed through stretch goals three and four, adding new game plus, turbo mode, and a making-of documentary. The next stretch goal, at $2.2 million, is the one everyone is waiting for: PS3, 360 and Wii U versions of the game. As of writing we're sitting at $1,837,378, meaning there's just $400,000 to go!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
My word...this is something I could definitely back because of the people Inafune got to help work on the game!
Looks like I've found the second game I'm ever supporting on Kickstarter! (First was A Hat in Time)
Really with how this game looks I can see that some of the designs from the old Legends Dev room that didn't make it in Legends 3 are being used. Hopefully this goes through and doesn't run into too much trouble.

Although Capcom are sure to give me more reasons to hate them probably...>.>

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I don't have the money to spend on this right now, but if it does eventually release I'll certainly be buying it day one.

EDIT: urk, I just looked at the funding goal. While $900,000 isn't absolutely outside the realm of possibility, I'm not gonna hold my breath.
WOOOOOO, goal reached. You see this Crapcom? You see how much people wan't a new Megaman game?

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I really, really, REALLY want to back this up, but money is so god damn tight right now I don't think I can spare some. Hopefully I'll be getting a new higher paying job this next month so I can have some extra cash to spare.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
This looks great. Hope it does well.

I kinda wonder if Capcom will do anything about this, since it's practically Mega Man with the serial numbers filed off. Considering it's by the guy who made the franchise...

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Reyold said:

I kinda wonder if Capcom will do anything about this, since it's practically Mega Man with the serial numbers filed off. Considering it's by the guy who made the franchise...
They don't really have a leg to stand on from an objective standpoint.

I mean Astro Boy was rocking pop culture long before Mega Man.

On the other hand, they undoubtedly have a legion of lawyers willing to clog up the judicial system so they can stroke themselves over an artist DARING to try and retain one of his ideas.

I fucking love MegaMan, and with Capcom being a collective shithead with the MegaMan franchise, I'm SO ready to back this.

-----------------------------

It is done.

I've spent more on this than I have on any other kickstarter.

God.

This must be what all those backers of the PS:T spiritual successor game must've felt like, having grown up with the game.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Wow, that video was really well made. You can tell Inafune was strongly affected by what happened to MM Legends, and the MM franchise in general, not just for himself, but for his fans too. I also like that flag cap he put on at the beginning, not because I'm all 'merica, but because he's basically saying that this is an international effort made by and for fans from all over the world. This little game crosses cultural boundaries, and I can respect that. I'll definitely be supporting it if it gets released. I may have to dust off my old PS1 MM games now...

Innegativeion said:
Reyold said:

They don't really have a leg to stand on from an objective standpoint.

I mean Astro Boy was rocking pop culture long before Mega Man.

On the other hand, they undoubtedly have a legion of lawyers willing to clog up the judicial system so they can stroke themselves over an artist DARING to try and retain one of his ideas.

I fucking love MegaMan, and with Capcom being a collective shithead with the MegaMan franchise, I'm SO ready to back this.
This is my concern. Capcom is nothing if not vindictive... and rich. They don't have to make a strong case, all they have to do is make the court proceedings too expensive for Inafune to fight back. Even if he wins, he loses.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
This may very well be the first Kick Starter I'll contribute to (if only because I missed Shovel Knight). I'll be watching this closely. I'm incredibly interested. Even without it being "Mega Man" per say, it's much better than anything Capcom has done with the property recently. Here's hoping it goes well.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I know this statement must sound really dickish considering how much nostalgia is flowing out of my eye sockets right now, but I want to see some gameplay before I contribute. Some of the concept images look like they'll slow down the game. I can't fathom how they intend to pull off the mechanics presented without slowing down the game's flow to a crawl. The picture with treads especially, because I can't think of a single game where treads allowed anything to move faster than a turtle. I'll definitely keep watch over the game though and probably get it when it comes out.

Requiem191

Nov 9, 2010
major_chaos said:
I don't have the money to spend on this right now, but if it does eventually release I'll certainly be buying it day one.

EDIT: urk, I just looked at the funding goal. While $900,000 isn't absolutely outside the realm of possibility, I'm not gonna hold my breath.
mfw the kickstarter breaks $200,000 in under four hours.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
really Inafune? The best you can do is make up something completely derivative of Mega Man? Adorable. You ***** and moan about Japan having no ideas, when in fact all you've done is prove YOU have no more ideas

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Aiddon said:
really Inafune? The best you can do is make up something completely derivative of Mega Man? Adorable. You ***** and moan about Japan having no ideas, when in fact all you've done is prove YOU have no more ideas
Oh indeed, how dare he make something derivative of HIS OWN fucking creation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Sacrifice_%28video_game%29

He seems to be doing just fine in the innovative, critically acclaimed video game department.

According to the video, the reason he wants to do a megaman spiritual successor is because his fans have been clamoring for the kinds of platformers he used to make. He has every right to this.

If my producers nostril-fucked my beloved brainchild franchise to the point of strangleholding its production pipeline for years and years, and then grated against me to the point of inducing me to quit my successful job, abandoning said beloved franchise in the process, I'd do the same damn thing.

MegaMan, as far as I'm concerned, belongs to him a lot more than it does to Capcom. If he wants to rebirth his brainchild, I say let him.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Aiddon said:
Do give the man some credit; along with releasing Soul Sacrifice and creating a small title for the Guild 02 compilation (called Bugs vs. Tanks), he announced a pirate-themed game feature anthropomorphic characters [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/05/keiji-inafune-reveals-king-of-pirates-heading-to-3ds-in-2012/] and is currently working on Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Tecmo Keoi's cell shaded, parody-esque take on Ninja Gaiden. He's probably just feeling a bit nostalgic/sad that he doesn't have as much control over the Mega Man license as he once had.

Requiem191

Nov 9, 2010
Not to mention the fact that if this works, we might actually get more Megaman from Capcom again. Capcom wants money after all and if this is successful, they might get over themselves.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
yanno, I kinda don't mind another megaman, even a "technically" knockoff megaman. (lol street cone heads.)

the 2D art with the 3D looking backgrounds might be a bit jarring for me though.
Although during actual gameplay I think I could stomach it.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Dammit, why doesn't my computer have a slot to force feed money straight into it!!

I'm all for this. Mega Man was awesome, and yet Capcom managed to crap it all up. You have a winning formula, so use it. Let the established brands feed your crazier ideas.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Damn this man deserves to make this game! Which also seems more than likely to happen with it already being 1/3 of the way funded in just a day. Best of luck to them making this game and making it a smash hit.

If not only because he gave us so many awesome titles, then for the sake of his legacy, that Capcom is hard at work shitting all over.

FourCartridge

Dec 27, 2012
First Kickstarter project I've backed. Made a fair amount of noise about it too.

Ya know, with Gio Corsi taking request for games on PS systems on Twitter, maybe enough noise will convince Sony/MS to go to talks with PS4/XB1 versions... It's worth a shot, IMO