UPDATE: Microsoft Disallows Public Lesbians on Xbox Live

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
Wow, I'm glad that we've taken a step back into the 1900's with the prejudice towards openly homosexual people. Frankly that is disgusting of Microsoft, and of the people who reported the woman. I personally don't care if she was overly vocal of her sexual orientation; that's her damn right! If I was paying for Live, I would probably cancel my subscription.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Jumplion said:
Macgyvercas said:
snip
Well, to be blunt, sexuality is a very touchy subject for a lot of people, particulary fundamentalists (one of my arch-enemies, BTW). You can talk about it around people who know you personally and what not. However, on the internet, and in online gaming, odds are high that you do not know anyone personally and therefore, put yourself at high risk of being attacked by people who act like jerks for no better reason than because the internet provides autonomy. See, my point is, that there are people online who simply don't tolerate certain things in the outside world, and feel they have to bring that mentality online. It's not right, and it's not fair, but putting something that offends anyone is basically opening yourself up for an attack.

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
thats fucking retarded being harassed and on top of that getting ur gamer tag banned because ur sexual orientation how the hell is that even fair stupid microsoft

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
Hopefully all attention whoring will be banned from Xbox live. Tell me one reason she wants to include her sexual orientation in her tag if not to get attention. It is also completely fair since they don't allow hetero's to do it either.

A.I. Sigma

Sep 17, 2008
I can understand both sides of the argument, but do we honestly have to fault our sexuality online? I've never seen anyone state they're straight on their profile, so why do people feel the need to inform us they're homosexual? Unless someone tries to flirt with you, it shouldn't matter.

I'm bisexual, but that doesn't mean I tell everyone I meet. I mean, really, who cares?

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
That's just sick... stupid xlive... they're all a bunch of homophobes! I am not homosexual my self,but i stand firmly FOR differences in the world such as being "gay" or "lesbian"! Especially lesbian.. i love these guys :D they're awesome! I don't recall anything more sexy than a sexy hot chick,than 2 sexy hot chicks MAKING OUT! So not only are xlive homophobes they also must be gay themselves,because if they can't appreciate the sexyness of lesbians,than they MUST BE GAY!!!

FiveSpeedf150

Sep 30, 2009
Well, lets see, I play video games online to digitally massacre my fellow gamers, not discuss sexual orientation with them.

She wanted attention and she got it. Sorry.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
I can understand microsft for suspending her account (it not like they knew the reason she received so many negative reviews was because she was lesbian. Also I was unaware you can display your sexual preference on your profile. Now I must ask some questions 1) How does sexual preference come up? On all the games she plays does everyone say "Hi my name is john doe and I'm straight"?

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
If expression of sexual oriantion is phrohibitated in Xbox online there not only disciminating against the LGBT gaming community there also discriminating against the people with funny names.

Because some nutjob thinks it's bad to say your orination that's just plain evil.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
One reason not to step into x box live, its full of pricks and ignorant wankers.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
kawligia said:
Well on one hand, simply mentioning that she is a lesbian is not really that offensive. Everyone knows they exist. I doubt any kids are going to go gay just because they met someone on the internet who claimed to be.

BUT...

On the other hand, there really is no reason to display your sexual preferences in that time and place. Its not exactly the type of environment where you would announce a foot fetish or love of BDSM, so why does anyone need to announce being gay or straight? It's irrelevant and unnecessary.

I see two wrongs here. That girl should have kept her bedroom in her bedroom like everyone else and Microsoft should have just had her simply change her profile.
I agree with Mr. kawligia on this. Sounds like both sides did the wrong thing.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
XBox live is not a dating service. Terms like gay/lesbian/bisexual are used most often as slurs.

Microsoft did the right thing, they did they same thing that every on-line service does.

This lady needs to shut up, she's bugging me.

EDIT: Also; she violated the XBOX LIVE Terms of Use [http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/legal/xboxComTOU.htm], her arse is banned. Job's a good'un.

--------Edited out, because I can't read, and misquoted something----------

soul_rever38

Apr 16, 2009
i think this is a tragic story, its wrong that she had her account banned, but im not surprised that people tried to abuse her on xbox live, i do not agree with the people who did it, but the players on xbox live arn't all the most open minded people on the planet

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Should she be banned? Of course not. It's ridiculous. But it's difficult to support her. She claims everyone insults her because she put lesbian in her about me thing. So... Take it out? It's not that difficult. You can argue "blahblah she's just proud to be a lesbian!" but, really, if it caused her that much abuse she should just take it out.

Plus, leaving a room to avoid idiots? In XBOX LIVE?! How did she ever find a decent room? This crap is what the mute button is for. It sounds more like she's an attention whore than anything.