UPDATE: "Nintendo Was Dead to Us" After Wii U Launch, Says EA Source

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Hmm I'm sorry then why didn't ANY of the yearly sports games EA spends no effort on making every year not come to the Wii U

We don't need an anonymous source to figure that out.

Also hey nintendo when one the biggest games of the year launch better on consoles that didn't even exist for sale yet, Time to get ready to bury your console.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Aiddon said:
This is why I live by the "you can SAY whatever you want, but your actions show your real intent" philosophy. And EA's intent: that they don't care about any of Nintendo's platforms and probably won't for the foreseeable future.
That's the ticket.
There seems to be some (OK, a LOT) unspoken "Say, but not do" going on at EA.

Seriously, I think Nintendo just needs to start looking to the East for partners because the West has been worthless for the past ten years
I dunno about worthless, but I do know there's a lot of grumbling from Japanese game publishers about western developers lately. Looking more broadly, it seems to stem more from spite than anything else. Japan's influence in gaming has been declining (greatly) over the last decade.

So, outside of their domestic game market, who or where in the East does Nintendo go to for help? South Korea?
Because it sure isn't China (oh god do they HATE China; especially Nintendo after the R4).

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
"We don't really make games for kids"

Oh really? Then why do I hear so many children running their mouths off in Battlefield and Mass Effect's multiplayer? Also, don't kids play sports games and racing games? I seem to remember that EA makes sports games and racing games.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
gyrobot said:
But shows like walking dead and breaking bad shows how people want see more mature anti escapist media in general. COD was as antiescapist as possible. I felt like a powerless grunt unable to save the world
And then what happens....5 minutes after? You become the most powerful badass in the game.

But the point is more about youth-targeted games, though. Do you think anti escapist media is demanded by kids? I tend to be under the impression that kids play CoD mainly because of the age old desire to not be a kid. So they play older people games for the self-image, then boil the game, and all of its tonal effort down to a game of.. I dunno, lazer tag?

Nov 28, 2007
Sheo_Dagana said:

Oh really? Then why do I hear so many children running their mouths off in Battlefield and Mass Effect's multiplayer? Also, don't kids play sports games and racing games? I seem to remember that EA makes sports games and racing games.
There's a difference between making games for kids, and making games that kids play. You don't see Mass Effect being marketed to the under-18 crowd. You won't see a commercial for Battlefield on the Disney Channel.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Ipsen said:
And then what happens....5 minutes after? You become the most powerful badass in the game.

But the point is more about youth-targeted games, though. Do you think anti escapist media is demanded by kids? I tend to be under the impression that kids play CoD mainly because of the age old desire to not be a kid. So they play older people games for the self-image, then boil the game, and all of its tonal effort down to a game of.. I dunno, lazer tag?
Plus, in all honesty, you could say people play the Walking Dead or CoD not because of it being anti-escapist, but because of their pretentiousness. It makes them FEEL mature, kinda like how people watch Goodfellas or Seven mostly due to the shallower aspects and miss the deeper aspects of them. Heck, I would say most people who go on about their deeper aspects mostly due to it as some desperate need for approval and attention

james.sponge said:
Michael Epstein said:
It became a kids IP platform and we don't really make games for kids
EA sound cute when they claim they are serious company making games for mature audiences.
I like to call it the "starving artist" strategy. Pull puppy dog eyes and pretend you're wounded minority and suddenly people are using kid gloves despite you not deserving it.

Also, I find it funny how the only thing of value to come from that horrendously bloated and dull article was the quote Moore is now railing against. Goes to show how crappy that piece was.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
thebobmaster said:
Sheo_Dagana said:

There's a difference between making games for kids, and making games that kids play. You don't see Mass Effect being marketed to the under-18 crowd. You won't see a commercial for Battlefield on the Disney Channel.
I shit you not there's call of duty mega bloks.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I just love how when "anonymous sources" say something that is unpopular everyone links to that one critical miss comic and assumes its fake, but when "anonymous sources" confirm preconceived notions people assume they are legit.

OT: I'm not a huge fan of EA but at least they make games I enjoy, something Nintendo hasn't done since the GC. And for that matter big N is ramping up the BETRAYAL!!! counter way faster than EA ever has, so I say good for EA. Leave Nintendo flailing around trying to recapture old glory and focus on making games for systems I would actually buy without a gun to my head.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
I wish that publishers would stop using "Kids" as an insult, as if an all ages game is somehow lesser than Ultra-Hardcore-HD-Guns-And-Tits.
For the most part though, aren't the latter set of games the ones that sell better in general? I mean, sure, Nintendo's core titles are generally huge sellers, but isn't the list of successful "all ages" games in recent history pretty short?

IshimaruHayato said:
The Dreamcast also never had any EA games on it. I wonder if thats coincidence
While superficial similarities stack up, keep in mind that the Dreamcast was difficult to fully program for (which would be more similar to the Xbone) and was the third or fourth console released in short succession from the same company. EA's issue with Nintendo here appears to be a tantrum, whereas issues with the Dreamcast were more "Oh no, we're not falling for that again!"

Aiddon said:
Games. Are. Toys.
You weren't wrong here. The problem comes in where your words are woefully incomplete. Games are toys. That doesn't mean that toys are all for kids or even necessarily aimed at a children's market. Nor do they need to be; toys for dudebros are a pretty big thing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
major_chaos said:
I just love how when "anonymous sources" say something that is unpopular everyone links to that one critical miss comic and assumes its fake, but when "anonymous sources" confirm preconceived notions people assume they are legit.
There's a lot of people rebuking the notions while assuming it's legit, so I'm not sure that's the case.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Yagami_Kira said:
thebobmaster said:
Sheo_Dagana said:

Yep, and it continues to amuse me to no end.

TOTALLY not for kids.... nope.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
thebobmaster said:
Seriously, is there some memo I missed where people are obligated to insult EA every single article that involves anything that can be connected to them? Because that describes about half the comments.
Half is quite the low estimate in all honesty. But yeah, EA are never allowed to win according to the internet. People bitched about them raising money solely for charity, for example. To be fair, it does at least make me laugh seeing the leaps of logic that some people make to always paint EA in a bad light. Sometimes, EA make it easy for them, but still. Also happens for Microsoft too now, since the internet has a Sony-boner (or Soner) at the moment.

Nov 28, 2007
Yagami_Kira said:
thebobmaster said:
Sheo_Dagana said:

That's sad. But even then, COD is Activision, not EA, so my point still stands. Now, if they were to make, say, a Lego set to build the Normandy, then their statement about not making games for kids gets a bit wobbly.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
major_chaos said:
There's a lot of people rebuking the notions while assuming it's legit, so I'm not sure that's the case.
The "notion" I was referring to was "EA are assholes" (which seems to be the majority sentiment in this thread) not anything about Nintendo.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Sounds like EA up to it's old Saturday cartoon hijinks again, same old tune, I still don't give a shit about who said this or who said that, just hurry up and die EA so C&C can finally be free or given to someone who actually cares, same with letting DICE go so they can actually spend a lot of time and put effort into the Battlefield series.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Ipsen said:
gyrobot said:
But shows like walking dead and breaking bad shows how people want see more mature anti escapist media in general. COD was as antiescapist as possible. I felt like a powerless grunt unable to save the world

If COD wanted to make me badass then make our squad nigh indestructible, not giving a fatality rate of 99% in my elite squad. Seriously, TF141 goes through more men then an advocacy group goes through for canvasing. It's like that speech from the guy from Space Oddity, the kids of back then looked up to heroic antisceptic heroes, now we look up to flawed individuals sicne the idolized heroes of back then was too good for us. We don't deserve them, we deserve morally flawed beings

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
sageoftruth said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I'd suggest people read the article sourced before freaking out. It's not just about EA's opinion and has good points that have been argued on these threads for months.
Thanks for suggesting that. It was interesting to read, but in the end, it sounded like they were saying that Nintendo should just try to copy what the competition is doing. It saddened me to read some of the comments that were posted afterwards. I get the impression many of them were not gamers, and it was depressing to see how they saw us, saying that all gamers want is better graphics, and more shooters, sports games, and violent, gritty games. I felt tempted to create an account just so I could argue with that mindset.
I'm honestly disappointed in some of the comments here. It's clear that a lot of people on these forums make kneejerk responses to headlines.

Thanks for being on of the few to read the article. I just wanted people to read the actual article whether or not they agreed on it before going on yet another Escapist style "Fuck EA" tangent but that has failed.

I honestly think the writers should stop using EA's name to generate hits. The article barely had EA mentioned but people on these forums don't care.

Not an EA apologist, just would like the focus to be on what the actual source article stated rather than the on quote the author shined a light on.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
This is making me really glad the last EA game I could possibly be interested in (Dead Space 3) was bought used for 10 dollars.

I honestly don't have many reasons to hate EA, though I have no love for them either, especially after sending their games to die on Wii U and whine about the lack of success. Activision proves that a western developer can find success on Wii U by making games for more than one audience.

I didn't want your buggy, poorly released games played on any of my systems anyway, especially Wii U.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
"It became a kids IP platform and we don't really make games for kids. That was pretty true across the other labels too. Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business, and EA like Activision is only focused on games that can be big franchises".

Hmmm for all we know this anonymous source could just be mr. Sock, but if this is the general feeling at EA all I have to say is this.

Nintendo have some of the biggest and longest running franchise in the industry and most of them are aimed at kids or kid friendly. To write off "kid games" is incredibly short sighted.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
So I walked in here and everyone was taking an anonymous source seriously. Which, surprise surprise, was promptly batted down.

I have so many "mfw" reactions right now I don't think I could post them all, but they're all smug, annoyed and leering.