Update: Open Source Android Console Fully Funded with $1 Million

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I like it, but I'll need to check the details to see if I can get a Ouya in Australia before I jump in with both feet. Seems like a perfect way to implement MAME and PS2 emulators (providing you have legal roms of course). Plus in the most important way it doubles the performance of current consoles with its 1gb of RAM. The graphics might not have quite the same polish as a PS3 or an XBOX (it will be close), but the levels and areas can sure as hell be bigger.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
This seems like it will be useless in the end.
If it's going to cost 99$, even the iPad will be stronger than this. Someone could just create a app that will allow connection of a controller via Bluetooth and connect it to the TV. Most tablets are android anyways.

There, a better console.

Sorry, but this won't take ANY costumer from the current console developer. It will just be interesting until people realize that they can play the same games on their smartphone.
But it's not something to play Android games on a TV, is a game console based on Android, but with a specific hardware and with a game controller. They plan on developing 1st party games and attract developers to create games specifically for it. There'll be Android games you can play on a phone, but they plan to have games specifically developed for the platform, and that take advantage of a fixed hardware spec and the availability of a controller. This may or may not work, but it's much more interesting than a thing to play android games on a TV.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
gabycms said:
They are selling a console like every second, only 700 (of 5k) left at the time of this writing (the 99 dollar pledge reward)
And one belongs to me :)

This is gonna be awesome..... I am really looking forward to seeing what happens with this.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
octafish said:
I like it, but I'll need to check the details to see if I can get a Ouya in Australia before I jump in with both feet. Seems like a perfect way to implement MAME and PS2 emulators (providing you have legal roms of course). Plus in the most important way it doubles the performance of current consoles with its 1gb of RAM. The graphics might not have quite the same polish as a PS3 or an XBOX (it will be close), but the levels and areas can sure as hell be bigger.
I think if nothing else it'll work as a cheap box for playing emulated games on the big TV instead of playing them on a computer.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Draech said:
No one found this?
I guess ill put it here then.
This is awfully alarmist and pessimistic (without mentioning the questionable ethics of calling it a "scam" without any real investigation). No one claimed it will run Crysis 2 or Uncharted, the selling point is that it's an open console with low price point and greater accessibility to developers. "Developers will target Android in general and not Ouya specifically", I wouldn't try to predict the future, so I don't know. With the generated buzz it's possible that devs will make games specifically for it, especially considering it has a game controller (something no android device has).

Also, game development for Android is a pain because of OS versions and variability among devices. Ouya is a fixed hardware platform that, if commercially successful, can attract developers easily because of the low barrier to entry.

Will it be successful? Will it have a good return on investment for people pledging now? I don't know, but I wouldn't go around saying it's a scam. I believe people are pledging because they believe the games industry can be changed for the better. It's a risk, but we'll see how it'll turn out.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
razer17 said:
Twilight_guy said:
I sure hope that the games aren't open source or this is going to be the biggest bomb ever.

If the free-to-play is implemented in all of the games this could do really well. I wonder how much each console will cost them and thus how they can support making them but hopefully they have a plan worked out (or this is going to quickly bomb).
Well looking at the system specs, it can't be that much. The components are pretty similar to recent Android phones, maybe with a little more oomph. A gig of ram costs like $15 dollars, flash memory cost is negligible at this point. They recently released that PC thing that was like $30 dollars or something. Add into the equation that they will pay wholesale prices, I imagine that the $99 price tag won't be too far removed from the actual unit cost to them.
Add to that the cost of labor or machinery (initial cost, plus upkeep) to build them and the cost of postage and shipping to get components to wherever there being assembled and to ship them out to people. If they can get enough money from there initial support drive they can certainly get the thing up and running but without a good business plan, small unaccounted costs can quickly add up and slowly drain there funds and break the business. I just hope that they have this all planned out since so many small business, and this will have to be run like a business, fall through. That's my major concern with this enterprise.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Carnagath said:
Wait, they are asking for only 1 mil to develop a console? One with a full controller and touch pad? And which will go for 99$, which is the cost of a 7 year old brick mobile phone? Uhh, yeah, no. This is either a scam, or the thing will be made of paper.
It sounds like they've already had a significant amount of funds and have developed the majority of the console already; they have a working prototype, and it sounds like hardware is already making a lot of progress. KickStarter seems like just an add-on to pre-existing funds.

Still, I share your concern; to really compete with the Big Three, they're going to need at least $100 million+. A single million is pocket money in console terms.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
It's at 1.6 million as of the time of this post. Jesus Christ.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Simalacrum said:
Carnagath said:
Wait, they are asking for only 1 mil to develop a console? One with a full controller and touch pad? And which will go for 99$, which is the cost of a 7 year old brick mobile phone? Uhh, yeah, no. This is either a scam, or the thing will be made of paper.
It sounds like they've already had a significant amount of funds and have developed the majority of the console already; they have a working prototype, and it sounds like hardware is already making a lot of progress. KickStarter seems like just an add-on to pre-existing funds.

Still, I share your concern; to really compete with the Big Three, they're going to need at least $100 million+. A single million is pocket money in console terms.
I already answered the stuff about the console earlier, the Kickstarter is to put it into production.

Regarding your last point, they're not trying to compete head-to-head with the big 3. It's a disruptive change and, if it works, they can be very successful without needing to compete for space with the big guys. It's similar to Steam, a platform that generates billions for Valve each year in revenue cuts, without any need for Valve to try to compete with big console makers. And for a low price such as US$99, even people who will buy a next-gen console can invest in getting a Ouya (it's less expensive than 2 new AAA games), so it's less about direct competition and more about trying to carve a new path.

If it'll work or not is the big question.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
weirdguy said:
Here's hoping it doesn't become another shovelware box.
With this much attention it'd better not. A lot of people would be howling for blood if that's what ends up happening.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Well, given the current prospects, we're looking at a bunch of semiprominent indie devs who will port their stuff over, and several thousand clones of old games.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
weirdguy said:
Here's hoping it doesn't become another shovelware box.
I don't see it becoming anything else.

If it's really successful, everyone will try to take a part of the cake. Since there will be just the minimal control before releasing games, it's safe to say that most games will be just pure crap. Sorry, but I don't know what other words to use. There certainly will be great games, some true gems, but the shovelware will outnumber it many times and most gems will be buried and be undiscovered.
Add to that that every game must have a part that is free. Forcing something like this can't end good. We will get many games that will work on the Zynga principle. I can already see it. "You're out of energy to kill that monster. You can either wait one hour or you could pay 20 Ouya credits to kill it instantly!"

The other scenario is if it's not successful. Those people with talent won't wast their time making games that has only 10k users where most of them won't get your game anyways. Losing income because of the forced free to play part, losing income because the number of potential costumer is nonexisting. So you can expect crappy ports of already existing android games and the mandatory bad games.
And buying a console for few ports is stupid.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
I'm too busy with my last open source platform (a.k.a.: the best gaming system, a.k.a.: a computer) to care about this one.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
If it's really successful, everyone will try to take a part of the cake. Since there will be just the minimal control before releasing games, it's safe to say that most games will be just pure crap. Sorry, but I don't know what other words to use. There certainly will be great games, some true gems, but the shovelware will outnumber it many times and most gems will be buried and be undiscovered.
Add to that that every game must have a part that is free. Forcing something like this can't end good. We will get many games that will work on the Zynga principle. I can already see it. "You're out of energy to kill that monster. You can either wait one hour or you could pay 20 Ouya credits to kill it instantly!"

The other scenario is if it's not successful. Those people with talent won't wast their time making games that has only 10k users where most of them won't get your game anyways. Losing income because of the forced free to play part, losing income because the number of potential costumer is nonexisting. So you can expect crappy ports of already existing android games and the mandatory bad games.
And buying a console for few ports is stupid.
Not meaning to disregard the rest of your concerns, isn't this normally the case? How many steaming piles of shit are there for every Portal, Psychonauts, and Bioshock 1(personal favorite of mine if you couldn't tell by the name)?

The fortunate thing is that the crap rarely gets marketed well... usually, unless EA is involved in the making of the turd.

There's free to play that is intelligent that sells convenience. A player that plays for free can get to the same level as one who pays, it just takes him a little longer. Bad F2P is where you sell summon fiery apocalypse buttons and essentially any competitive play is removed from the equation if you don't have one. Another I don't like is refusing the majority of the content in which case it's just smarter to call the free portion a demo.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Current total pledge: $1,850,018

They almost doubled their funding minimum IN ONE DAY.

Move over DFA, Kickstarter has a new toy.

To the pessimists: If you don't like it then don't pledge money. and listen to this guy:
tautologico said:
he speaks sense.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
I could seriously see this going very good, or very bad fast.

There are good games out there I like playing on my phone, especially on the bus, and it can promote so much creativity. Many unheard of names have the potential to make themselves well known.

BUT...I hate the waves of 'freemium' and uncountable garbage apps you have to dig through to find one that's good to play. One thing I like about my computer/consoles is that ads aren't in your face all of the time and if you have no way to pay online, you can still pop a physical copy of a game you like and away you go.

I hope this doesn't turn into a giant spam bin and becomes something truly innovative

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
This thing sounds amazing. I'm seriously considering getting one just to spite the big three and their money grubbing ways.

Also, I've been saying that every game released should be required to have a demo for some time now, so count me in on that.

Mar 20, 2010
It's about to hit 2 million. Thats some aggresive pleging.
I really hope this sells and works well. I see great potantial.