[UPDATE] Players Banned for Breakdancing in Star Wars: The Old Republic

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
cynicalsaint1 said:
AndyFromMonday said:
You shouldn't ban players for exploiting game mechanics. If you, as a developer, failed to properly account for the bug then it's your fault that players are exploiting it. If a child spills the tea you left on the table all over the carpet, is it the child's fault for acting out or is it the parents fault for not properly account for their own child? The proper way to prevent this from happening would have been to disable dancing until the bug is fixed.
1. No one is getting banned - the email saying people were was faked. It's right there in the update, learn to read.

2. They fixed the bug in yesterday's patch.
People got banned, fake was the "dancing zone" thing. Do you ever take your own advice?

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
You shouldn't ban players for exploiting game mechanics. If you, as a developer, failed to properly account for the bug then it's your fault that players are exploiting it. If a child spills the tea you left on the table all over the carpet, is it the child's fault for acting out or is it the parents fault for not properly account for their own child? The proper way to prevent this from happening would have been to disable dancing until the bug is fixed.
Exploiting is using a system mechanic in an unintended way that is unfair to other players in order to get an advantage. In my books thats called "being a dick". You're purposefully choosing to use something in a way its not meant to be used in order to get ahead. Also your analogy doesnt really work, since the dancing thing is something you can choose not to do.

Also by your logic, is say a function to instantly kill NPCs or players for free was left in the game to one player, your saying it would be perfectly fine for that player to go aorund murdering every single person in the universe because hey "Im not to blame...Im just using a mechanic available to me"

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
Lol @ all the people complaining about reading comprehension reading the update incorrectly. It does not say people were not banned for this. It said the email was faked, I repeat it does not say that there aren't banning exploiters.

On to the other matter at hand, just to throw my two pence in, it's EA/Bioware's fault and responsibility to fix this bug, not ban people that use the bug to their advantage. That is all.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Amnestic said:
Caliostro said:
Release broken game > People play the game > Get banned because the game is broken.
Release game with an unknown exploit in the code > People knowingly exploit it to get ahead in the game > People get banned because they exploited the game.

To take another recent example, should nothing have been done to players who used the Javelin exploit in Modern Warfare 2? Do you think this situation is different? Why?
There is a better solution then to ban people, and its not 'getting ahead in the game' its 'surviving a battle' as far as I know, you have to get out of dancing to attack, so in theory its not different then blocking. It seems stupid to ban people for using a glitch, so is it alright for a level 100 Sith lord to land ontop of Noob Planet for the Force and kill all the noobs there? Its fair because hes not using a exploit to win, hes just killing everyone.

Once again, it would be extreme cheating if you could also ATTACK while doing it, but if you have to leave your shield to do so, its not cheating, its suspending a fight.

Honestly people, can you see why I hate Bioware, they can write a good story, but have to use WoW's mechanics and ban people who find a bug in their perfect game.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I still don't know why banning people for getting to high level chests would ever make sense, because they didn't technically cheat or anything to get to them...if you somehow allowed low levels to get to them without getting the heck murdered out of them, or prevented them from otherwise accessing the chests through normal game mechanics like level locks, you done messed up, and that's no reason to blame the players.

@Aprilgold: well, see, the guy's AI partners were firing on the other guy the entire time, and if he "tanks" by distracting the mob, he can gain a lot of exp indirectly since nobody's in actual danger.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
animehermit said:
also, I repeat: NO ONE HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS, the email was fake.
Such a shame people will resort to libel over a game. I don't know what's happened to this generation.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
If I was playing the beta and knew about this I would have done it just for the laughs. Who wouldn?t?
Unless you use it in PVP its not even that bad and its not ban worthy. They could just disable the dance function until this is fixed.

Ryhzuo

Sep 19, 2010
Bug exploitation in MMORPGs should, and has always been a ban-able offense.

It's not like this was a one-off that caught innocent players off guard. People were actively using the glitch in ways not intended to gain an unfair advantage in a multiplayer environment. If it's broke, don't use it.

Ranquest

Nov 10, 2009
teh_gunslinger said:
If it turns out that Bioware really does ban for this then I'll have lost my last shred of interest in any game they ever make.

Besides, Jensen doesn't care at all:

As can be seen.[/youtube]
Don't think these guys care either.
Seriously though, I wish people would stop being so damn smug when there is bad news about this game.
I suppose any excuse to have a rag fest on EA.

Gestapo Hunter

Oct 20, 2008
rsvp42 said:
animehermit said:
Such a shame people will resort to libel over a game. I don't know what's happened to this generation.
The current "ME,ME,ME!" spoiled generation right here in this forum.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Bans? Perma-bans? For a glitch in THEIR game? Surely a 3 day ban at most... Or even just a slap on the wrist.

I never understood the abusing of glitches in the EULA...

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
animehermit said:
Aprilgold said:
There is a better solution then to ban people, and its not 'getting ahead in the game' its 'surviving a battle' as far as I know, you have to get out of dancing to attack, so in theory its not different then blocking. It seems stupid to ban people for using a glitch, so is it alright for a level 100 Sith lord to land ontop of Noob Planet for the Force and kill all the noobs there? Its fair because hes not using a exploit to win, hes just killing everyone.

Once again, it would be extreme cheating if you could also ATTACK while doing it, but if you have to leave your shield to do so, its not cheating, its suspending a fight.

Honestly people, can you see why I hate Bioware, they can write a good story, but have to use WoW's mechanics and ban people who find a bug in their perfect game.
Your companions continue to attack while you're dancing. Also, the opposing faction can't visits the starter planets or faction capitals.

I thought that people were still being banned, but the dance zone thing was faked. I'm still not quite sure because the edit didn't make much sense. And companions still attacking is still existent, yes. I just don't think that even if the banning was real, that there would be any reason for it. Since you could just as easily stop people from using the /dance command by coding it out of the game for a bit then coding it back in.

rsvp42 said:
animehermit said:
A friend of mine back in the day argued with me that I didn't really beat Super Mario Brothers because I used warps. It happened some back in the day, but then again, companies weren't banning you for exploits.