Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
BanicRhys said:
Why are people so invested in how the consoles look?

It's relatively small and it has a flat top. That's enough for me to consider buying it when it's under $200 and there's a decent Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts on it.
Yeah, I don't get the complaints about the appearance either. Whether it's the PS4 or the Xbone, the look is fine. In this day and age, even a console that does nothing but games is going to be a home theater component. There's enough people who care about having the various boxes in their rack look the part that it's a bad idea /not/ to make a black box. By all means give the option of different colors, but there needs to be a black option as well. As for it being a box, well, consoles aren't aimed at children anymore. They don't need to look like they were designed by Fisher Price.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Cognimancer said:
Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

Sony's next-gen console is ready to show you its stuff. Its high-tech, rhombus-shaped stuff.

Sony earned a lot of ire when it revealed the PlayStation 4 without ever showing the physical console. Well, the time has come - the next-gen system has a finalized look, and there's no better time to show it off than E3. If you're busy snarking about how it's a lot of fuss over a black box, you may want to hold your tongue. The PS4 has a radical design that's way more interesting than just some black box.

It's a black rhombus.

[gallery=1545]

More to come as the Sony E3 press conference continues!

Update: Sony has concluded their press conference by dropping the PS4's price point. The PlayStation 4 will sell for $399, undercutting the Xbox One by a clean hundred bucks. In other territories the price has been named as 399 Euros in Europe and 349 Pounds in the UK.

Could you update to include Australian price of $549, atleast at EB games anyway:
https://www.ebgames.com.au/featured/e3-2013?utm_source=ebgames&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=hero&utm_content=home

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
People are seriously excited about this design simply because it's "slightly better" than the Xbone's? Both are ugly as sin! Who the hell is creating all these console designs? I wouldn't want ANY of those being in my room. Last generation's consoles were beautiful for both the PS3 and Xbox 360, but now this? This is just wrong.

MYWA

Jan 23, 2013
Nowhere Man said:
Well. At least it doesn't look like an old VCR.
No, it looks like Devo's VCR - very New Wave! This one makes the Xbone look like an alternate dimension HVD player from the year 2018. So, looks like Wii U's console is the best looking...by default. Still, PS4 has easily most appealing controller.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Cognimancer said:
It's a black rhombus.
Nitpicky, but that's incorrect. It's not a rhombohedron, either, and its sides aren't rhombuses but rhomboids. It is a black parallelepiped tho. Or you can call it a black hexahedron. Geometry has so many fancy words for such stuff, I'm sure everyone can find one that's both correct and likeable.

Now, with that out of the way, it does look catchy. Not buying it still, tho.

Benedict said:
Guys, that's not what a rhombus is. The bisecting diagonals of a rhombus are perpendicular, and its sides are all congruent- the PS4 is just an ordinary parallelogram- or rather, since it's three-dimensional, a parallelepiped. Much more stylish than a blocky old rhombus.
Ah, ninja'd.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Caiphus said:
I think it looks kind of cool.

*slinks back into his corner*
I kinda agree, but I do like a simplistic look...

OT: I am really loving that they've priced themselves $100 less than Microsoft. This will indeed be interesting since there are some hypotheses that Sony would dominate the Xbox if they priced themselves lower.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
AstylahAthrys said:
It's black, for the most part, with some silver trim, but the front panel glows a really pretty blue and the venting looks pretty cool. That clear side is an awesome idea, though. I'll have to keep that in mind when I build another one once the hardware in this one gets too out of date. Not that any will be too outdated anytime soon!

... Oh no. This generation is going to turn me into a GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE person, isn't it? Sony, Microsoft, pick up the slack here! I've always been a console gamer, and you're changing me!

I'm actually hoping someone releases a retro wood paneling skin for these consoles now, just to complete the retro feel.
Well my room has a massive issue with dust so the clear side was a no brainer and don't worry the glorious PC gamer master race is only going to get better with the new hardware coming out since our machines will only get more and more use by the more advanced games.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/702/812.jpg

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
did Microsoft just get Sega saturn'ed?

I'm still not sold on a ps4
though i will have to get it for metal gear i guess

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
AstylahAthrys said:
Vivi22 said:
AstylahAthrys said:
The Xbox One certainly was far from impressive, being rather bulky and bland, but this is simply the silliest looking console I have ever seen. I honestly laughed when I saw it.
Ah kids today. You haven't lived until you've seen the shit they released in the 70's. Hell, even stuff like the Famicom and Sega Master System were ugly as fuck.

This is going to be one ugly console generation, isn't it?
Absolutely agree with you here though.
Oh, trust me, I know. My father's trove of old electronics has given me plenty of exposure, but I kind of have a thing for old electronics. Yeah, some older stuff is arguably uglier, but that gets a pass because of age. Even the wood paneling can get this pass (which I find tacky as all hell). I guess I would rather have this than an Atari 5200, but this is 2013! We should have outgrown butt ugly electronics! .
Oi! Don't be dissing the wood paneling, bro.

I'd fire money out of a gigantic money cannon at whoever can wood panel a PS4.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Yopaz said:
Caiphus said:

OT: I am really loving that they've priced themselves $100 less than Microsoft. This will indeed be interesting since there are some hypotheses that Sony would dominate the Xbox if they priced themselves lower.
Given Sony's competition?

They won't have to try hard.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I wouldn't say it looks great, but then again I don't dislike the XBones appearance that much either. The consoles appearance isn't important to me so much as its size.

So to summarise so far: The PS4 is $100 cheaper, used games work just as they normally do and it doesn't force you to play online or spy on you.

PS4 is certainly more appealing so far. For their sake I hope they have a decent starting line up for once. To a lot of people the exclusives will be significantly more important.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Machine Man 1992 said:
Yopaz said:
Caiphus said:

Given Sony's competition?

They won't have to try hard.
The price matters... HOWEVER if they had the same price I think Sony would have a huge advantage here. So yeah, I agree with you. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with the reveal. Sony shot them a couple more times with their E3 show.

Sony burning Microsoft with their instruction on how you share games with friends... I saw it coming, but I still laughed and shouted BURN at the screen. Still chuckling at it in fact. I hate pretending to know the future, but right now Sony got the lead on Microsoft in my opinion.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
So EVERYONE's making ugly consoles this gen. Is it like, a retro thing? Will the next Nintendo be NES-style?

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
$399 is way cheap..that is awesome!! I figured there was no way they were going to sell either system for less then $500. I don't even know how Sony is selling the system for that low....are they losing money on each sale?

Last I heard Sony actually has more expensive parts, and higher performance....how are they selling their system for $100 less?

I am a bit worried about all the games saying they are going to be exclusive to the Xbone though. I don't have any intention of buying that system (only had 1 xbox 360 game I enjoyed that I couldn't have had on the Ps3)....but if they do have enough exclusive games that I want to play...that may change my mind (although it will take at least 5+ if the system costs $500).

Sony is rocking pretty hard I must say...but why Insomniac games is going over to the dark side (Xbone exclusive) I don't know. They are one of my favorite companies. It's usually the RPGs that make or break a system for me, but the ratchet and clank series is a big one for me as well.

Maybe if the Xbone sales are really bad more of the companies will end up making their games for the PS4 as well.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It's design certainly is much more pleasing to the eye than the Xbone. Personally I like the idea of an ejectable tray, I foresee many Xbone repair jobs because someone thought the drive was empty before shoving a disc in it's slot.

wulfy42 said:
$399 is way cheap..that is awesome!! I figured there was no way they were going to sell either system for less then $500.
Here in Australia, it will be closer to the $800 mark, just because they can.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
M$: 'We can enable publishers to allow you to use your licenses in various ways and enable you to take advantage of the future of persistancy through continual online checkins while having a camera always watch you ready to take commands, for the ultimate in security and--.'

Sony: 'We give you what you want.'