Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Vivi22 said:
At least the top isn't rounded I suppose for those who need to set things on top of it.

I guess this is the generation where all the consoles look like shit though.
No one give a crap about the look anyway. Look at the Fat PS3 ...

Just use whatever look that is cheapest and quickest to manufacture.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sleekit said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
So EVERYONE's making ugly consoles this gen. Is it like, a retro thing? Will the next Nintendo be NES-style?
in essence they are both fairly similar cut down PCs..
I think I'd actually prefer it if they just looked like PCs.

I just bought my first PC case in years (Last PC was off the shelf; needed a quick replacement after a fire ruined all my shit), and while it's not the sexiest thing I've ever seen, it's still sexier than these ugly monstrosities...

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
008Zulu said:
It's design certainly is much more pleasing to the eye than the Xbone. Personally I like the idea of an ejectable tray, I foresee many Xbone repair jobs because someone thought the drive was empty before shoving a disc in it's slot.

wulfy42 said:
$399 is way cheap..that is awesome!! I figured there was no way they were going to sell either system for less then $500.
Here in Australia, it will be closer to the $800 mark, just because they can.
$549 in Australia actually :D http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/sony-australian-confirms-local-ps4-price/

Here in new Zealand we get another hundred on top of that though... So $650 NZD, that said, it's still $100 less then the Xbox One.

Also, I like its design a lot actually... It looks unique at least, it's not just a regular box at least.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
AAAAaand... IT's another BLACK BOX! Are we really going that far back with the VCR desings?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
$549 in Australia actually :D http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/sony-australian-confirms-local-ps4-price/

Here in new Zealand we get another hundred on top of that though... So $650 NZD, that said, it's still $100 less then the Xbox One.
Interesting, but a lower than expected price and intriguing design haven't sold me. I'll need official word on how the system compared to Xbone (always on internet, always on kinect, etc) before I decide.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Looked sexy when it was a thumbnail. That's actually a thought I have a lot. Mostly on 4chan.....

It barely looks better than the new Xbox, no wonder why Sony didn't want to show it. 400 is fifty dollars higher than I would have liked...prolly not getting one. At least until I see a bigger library.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
008Zulu said:
chozo_hybrid said:

Interesting, but a lower than expected price and intriguing design haven't sold me. I'll need official word on how the system compared to Xbone (always on internet, always on kinect, etc) before I decide.
No DRM logging online every 24 hours to play BS and the camera is not compulsory from what they said today, hope that helps.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It don't matter what it looks like, but I will miss game consoles looking like game consoles. But then I guess that's what both Sony and Microsoft are trying to shake; "They're not game consoles, they're entertainment consoles."

Anyway, 400 bucks. Nice. Looks like I'll be buying this thing afterall.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Wow! A 3D Parallelogram in real life! Now I know why you don't see them very often. It looks like a poorly made sandwich.

I don't think I'll be moving onto either Xbone or PS4! This E3 just made me want to get a WiiU and have a kick-arse PC. That is how I will roll from now on.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
First thought: Well, it?s interesting...

Second though: Wait, won?t this shape make it a ***** to put on your shelf?

Why would Sony make the system purposefully wasteful of space? Maybe I?m in the minority, but every cm counts on my TV table....

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Braedan said:
First thought: Well, it?s interesting...

Second though: Wait, won?t this shape make it a ***** to put on your shelf?

Why would Sony make the system purposefully wasteful of space? Maybe I?m in the minority, but every cm counts on my TV table....
It's hard to tell just from the pictures but by the looks of it, it won't waste more space than the XBone.

OT: Sony did a really good job at the press conference. They pretty much showed what people wanted to see. I'm already looking forward to this new future, it looks a little brighter now.

ArithianFlame

Jun 11, 2013
I fail to understand all the hate on the Playstation's shape of all things. It's big, powerful, and I'd assume heat-flow was a large factor. And lets face it, how many options are there if you want a flat top and bottom? It all honesty I find it better looking than the xBOX. At least it's sort of creative.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SO, similar looking, but better. yeah that works. and i actually like the look of it at least. its just a box for hardware anyway, so whatever works - works.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
As a fan of black boxes, that looks fucking stupid to me. Why would it be slanted. Why. I actually like glossy black boxes. Not as much as some other things, but a parallelogram is one of the things I think looks worse.
Benedict said:
Guys, that's not what a rhombus is. The bisecting diagonals of a rhombus are perpendicular, and its sides are all congruent- the PS4 is just an ordinary parallelogram- or rather, since it's three-dimensional, a parallelepiped.
And also this.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
ArithianFlame said:
I fail to understand all the hate on the Playstation's shape of all things. It's big, powerful, and I'd assume heat-flow was a large factor. And lets face it, how many options are there if you want a flat top and bottom? It all honesty I find it better looking than the xBOX. At least it's sort of creative.
This was more creative: http://uda3mau.blogspot.com/2012/09/new-ps4-concept-design-welcome-to-future.html

But I think people are most perplexed at how these designs do not match up with the whole, "FUTURE NOW!" mentality of Sony and Microsoft. The designs do not fit with the feature aesthetic of either system. Yes, the PS4 looks better than the Xbone, but so did a VHS player over a Betamax.

What I don't get is how everyone is jumping for joy at how Sony "won" E3. I guess not everyone minds having to pay $50 a year just so they can play online. Then again, PS Plus is still infinitely better than Live Gold.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
Man, that thing looks really really awkward... And it is just a black box...

Do we know the price though?
$399, £349.99

Not a bad price at all actually, if that comes with a game and a decent hard drive, maybe a PS+ sub for a year, they may have killed it.