Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I actually quite like how this looks, and the fact that they gave it a flat top that you can put things on is nice.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I guess after losing a lot of steam out of the gate last time around due to a higher price, Sony was determined to have the price advantage this time.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
349 Pounds in the UK.
Whaaaat?

A direct conversion from $399 is £256 according to my desktop gadget. Why is it nearly £100 more expensive in the UK?
Because that's the way things usually go with hardware prices. It was the same with the Xbone as well, however on the bright side the Xbone is $170 more expensive over here, but the PS4 is only around $112 more expensive than the US price. Either way £349 is an absolutely incredibly price if you ask me and they may just have tempted me into actually joining this console generation.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Roxor said:
Why does damn near everything seem to be in black these days? About the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are the WiiU and a couple of smartphones. PC cases? Black, black, and more black. Enough! Give us some variety!
Have you seen any PC cases lately? They're frequently white, transparent, or lit up with neon lights. Also, the PS3 comes in red or white as well as black. And apart from the just announced (but not available yet) new Mac Pro, you can't even buy an Apple computer that's black. They're all aluminium.

Jul 5, 2009
Ok, my thoughts.

It looks fine.

PS2 PS3 AND PS-slim were black boxes, so when the PS4 is one too, people say they're copying XBONE?

Riiiight. Especially since the folks at Sony were waiting until the xbone was showed then made their design! Brilliant!

Also stop dissin' wood panneling.

Keneth

Oct 14, 2011
No online check-ins.
Freely buy/sell/trade used games.
$100 less then the Xbox One.

I don't give a fuck if it's shaped like a turgid meat dongle. SOLD!

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
It looks good to me, the design that is.

They have the Eye in the pictures, is that bundled with the console?
What's this crap doing anyway? Is it like Kinect?

No quality exclusives, I like that as well. The PC master race is happy, my wallet as well.

Oct 2, 2012
I actually like the way it looks. I'd gladly display it out in the open somewhere!

And a hundred bucks cheaper than the Xbox One and none of that drm shit?
Mmkay Sony. You've seemed to have learned from your own mistakes and the mistakes of your competitors.
I'll give you a thumbs up for that.
And with quite a few games coming to the PS4 that I'm looking forward to (new Mirrors edge for one I'm thinking that Sony has one console sale guaranteed :)
Now to see if it blends.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
CardinalPiggles said:
Whaaaat?

A direct conversion from $399 is £256 according to my desktop gadget. Why is it nearly £100 more expensive in the UK?
Because Europe always gets shafted with regards to price(though not as bad as places like Australia).$399 = ?300 yet they will be charging ?399 in eurozone countries.Xbox is the exact same $499 = ?375 yet they are charging ?499 here for it

The price difference between the two is massive though.One of the reasons the 360 did much better than the PS3 in the early days was because it was substantially cheaper.With a difference of ?100 we could see the Xbox one struggle like the PS3 did until it received a hefty price cut

If Nintendo can get their act together and get some decent games on the Wii U aswell as dropping the price they could see a decent swing of support their way too

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Not too fond of the shape, but whatever. As long as I know how to open and close the disc tray that's all there is to it(though I can't make it out from those pictures).
Sucks if that'll be the actual pricing though. $399 is not even close to equal to £349. £256 would be more accurate.

Checked some sites to see the cost here in Sweden, and what I found was 4490SEK. That's around $684.
Thanks for that. I guess I'll have to wait over three years to get it.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
*perspective of someone who did not own a console in the last generation and was hoping to care about this gen*

Xbox One?

More like, PS Won.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
I can so easily confuse this console with my toastie maker

Does it play games and also make toasties? If so I am sold

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I'm going to add to my earlier input. The fact that it evokes feelings of the PS2? A very very good thing. Lots of positive memories about the PS2. Honestly, I had no issues beyond memory management. It was fabulous stuff. If that's what they're trying to evoke with the PS4's design, positive memories, I can't fault them.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
It's almost like people don't understand economics.

Yes, in absolute cost, it is more expensive in Europe and Australia. However, in Europe and Australia, retailers are legally obligated to include taxes in their advertised price. In the US, prices are typically listed without tax, so that's misleading to begin with.

Then there's the factors that the US has a lower minimum wage than Europe and Australia, and also that the taxes paid in those continents tend to pay for a better standard of living, while if you live in the US and have a working-class job, you don't tend to get decent health care and all the other benefits of paying higher taxes. Paying slightly more for a luxury item like a console is a pretty trivial price to pay for living in a more equitable society.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
It's....It's....Well it's an ugly parallelogram.
Seriously why are the new consoles so .....boxy?
Seriously my $60 PC case off ebay looks better.