UPDATE: PS3 Hacker GeoHot Claims He's on Vacation

Grickit

Mar 2, 2011
So, on top of the crimes he committed against Sony, he has now tampered with evidence, disobeyed a court order, and committed fraud? Nice. I hope he gets thrown in jail for a while and then joins that small list of crackers who are banned from using computers ever again.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Irridium said:
Freaking dumbass. I was hoping that this case would lead to EULA's getting altered to be more consumer friendly. Now I doubt that'll happen.
Yeah same here, now this little incident will set back that argument for a couple of years.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Selvec said:
Hahaha, told you he would just flame the HD and run. Yes you can recover data from an HD, but if you no how, you can completely destroy any data on one, beyond recovery. Just that the average computer user doesn't know.

Anyway, dumb move. Ah well.
Take a sledge hammer to the drive until it's completely crushed, then proceed to microwave it on high for 5 minutes.
Place into pan with water and 2 tablespoons of salt, stir until water has evaporated.

Done. You now have ready made HDDs that will never provide anyone with data ever again.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Not to worry. Sony's hitmen are going to follow.
You know, that's the first thing that came to mind for me as well. So much for his innocence, bolting like that with all money people gave him doesn't help either.

TheSkaAssassin

Oct 12, 2009
I thought the Escapist would support the rights of gamers.
Yeah he fled, but that's not the point. Sony is still in the wrong.

"Sony has proof that Hotz created a PlayStation Network account and therefore agreed to the PSN User Agreement"
So what? The PSN UA is BS!

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
uppitycracker said:
Sony is gonna look REALLY SILLY when it just turns out he went to go visit his South American family :p
Are you allowed to leave the country unexpectedly while under litigation like this?

Irridium said:
So my suspicions were right, and the guy is, in fact, a giant douche.

$5 says he used that "donation money" to fund this little trip. Which, by the way, is another felony.

Freaking dumbass. I was hoping that this case would lead to EULA's getting altered to be more consumer friendly. Now I doubt that'll happen.

Again, dude's a dumbass, and a dick.
Seriously. Even if SONY won, I was hoping someone would turn around and say "Alright guys, now tone it the fuck down and play nice from now on" make some bloody progress in the industry.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Well that's game over for any of us who supported him. Obviously he didn't have as much confidence in winning the case as he said he did.

I guess that's that then; another champion for consumer rights just turns out to be not only a coward but a lying coward at that. The thing that pisses me off the most is that this only justifies Sony's case which, until now, seemed to have no merit other than Sony being mad it got burned by the kind of people that run Linux on the PS3.

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
Yes, he did something stupid. However Sony taking away the right to use the PS3 however you want (like the military using them as cheap supercomputers) is just sad. Throughout this case I have lost all respect I had for Sony, and GeoHotz running made me lose almost all respect for him.

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Well that's game over for any of us who supported him. Obviously he didn't have as much confidence in winning the case as he said he did.

I guess that's that then; another champion for consumer rights just turns out to be not only a coward but a lying coward at that. The thing that pisses me off the most is that this only justifies Sony's case which, until now, seemed to have no merit other than Sony being mad it got burned by the kind of people that run Linux on the PS3.
The thing is it really is just Sony being mad, and GeoHot just overshadowed that fact.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
ToastedEngineer said:
The more interesting story is the length Sonys legal team went to prove he owns a ps3.
They didn't have to prove he owned a PS3 - he legally had to give them a list of the consoles he owned, so that was obvious. What they had to prove was that he has agreed to Sony's terms of use and subscriber agreement, which is a huge legal document.

By proving that he agreed to it, they prove that he has entered into a legal agreement with Sony. In addition to the whole "not modifying your console, etc" parts, that agreement will have clauses in it that deal with legal action and arbitration. Those will likely give Sony a lot more leverage in their current battle over the case venue.

For something seemingly minor, it's probably a pretty big blow to his defense case.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
You know what really sucks?
All the people that backed him not because they wanted to be able to pirate anything, but because of the argument of 'ownership' and companies holding non-existant terms over their products even years after they've been sold. I myself felt very strongly about this issue because of that (even though that technically isn't the exact scenario, but still)

For all the people who donated money so that product developers couldn't 'rent' their items rather than actually selling them... this is a serious shot in the foot.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Mhm.. I'm waiting for some director to turn this into a movie...

Anyways, that was a really, really dumb move on his part.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
green_dude said:
SilentSh0tz said:
So this guy isn't too bright, lol.
Not sure about that, he did hack the PS3 after all.
There is brain smarts, and then there is common sense that tampering with court evidence, fucking off and disobeying a court order, and fleeing a legal battle is WRONG.

He fails at number 2