UPDATE Swiss Police Want The Darkness II Banned

Dec 27, 2010
Well, I'm a member of the Taliban, and I never claim about the thousands of shooters where my brethren are repeatedly shot, stabbed, blown-up and tea-bagged.
(Sorry, I know this thread's redundant now, but I still wanted to make that joke.)

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Kinguendo said:
I think the police shooting a guy and then lying about it sorta did that whole "Portraying them as the bad guys" thing for them quite nicely... maybe being able to shoot them back in a game will alleviate some of that anger?

Think about it cops, you release enough games about killing police and you can go out and shoot as many innocent people as your power-hungry-yet-cold hearts could crave.

OR if the Swiss Police think games really have that much influence why dont they release a game where you play as a police officer who doesnt shoot people in the face? Maybe get bonus point for telling the truth? Maybe unlock new... notebooks when you arrive at work on time and fill out paperwork efficiently.

BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
So Swiss police want to ban a game in Swiss-land 'cos people in the UK are rioting? What do we have to do with Switzerland? Do they have the exact same culture as us?

Bit of a weak link to ban a game, don't you think?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
kebab4you said:
I like how 99% of the wanted bans on games come from some kind of Christian group/person.
Next, it'll be the Mormons because a game portrays Salt Lake City with twice as many women as men.

OT: Even if the game HAD been portraying police (which apparently it isn't), if you are a criminal and certainly the dark protagonist of this game, they MUST be the enemy, because you are a vigilante and they are justice.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Wait what does the Swiss Jewish Police Association say about this? What about the Atheist? What about the Buddhist? What about the rest of the Swiss police, who apparently are out there fighting actual crime instead of trying to find easy scapegoats to complex issues?

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009

Yeah, like a few people before me, the moment I read "Christian" I just assumed it was going to be another baseless tirade against videogames. Whatever.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
Blind77 said:
The Swiss Christian Police Association
I'm surprised about people having problems with something so trivial, especially if it's about a video game. I'm not surprised seeing that it comes from Christians.
It's like liberals NEVER want to ban violent video games. Wait what's that about California? Oh please, California is totally a redneck state filled with religious nutcases. Oh wait..

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
Savber said:
Blind77 said:
I'm surprised about people having problems with something so trivial, especially if it's about a video game. I'm not surprised seeing that it comes from Christians.
It's like liberals NEVER want to ban violent video games. Wait what's that about California? Oh please, California is totally a redneck state filled with religious nutcases. Oh wait..
To be fair, not all Californians are liberals. As a matter of fact, many parts of Northern California have more in common with parts of the American South than they do with the larger cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles.

On topic: Not surprised. Any time a game might possibly contain something that someone somewhere might conceivably see as even the tiniest bit offensive, a group of their "advocates" steps up and yells into a megaphone about how it's a travesty.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I'm not sure if the "reveal" resolved anything, and might have actually done damage. See, this group probably had reason to believe police officers were in the game as potential opponents. The game developers saying there aren't any cops makes me think they might have wound up backpedaling. If they did, and I suspect they might have, that's a bad thing because it encourages other groups to pressure game developers knowing that they are likely to cave.

As far as it being a Christian police association, I see no real problem with that, in this case I can see where their concerns are coming from whether I agree with them or not, and it hardly seems to have anything to do with the religious portion of their banner.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
This shouldn't even be an issue.

There should be no problem with people disliking police or virtually harming avatars of them. This is an incredibly basic example of free speech (not as in "they can't do that!" because I have no idea about rights in Switzerland, but as in "there is a reason countries often grant protections like that").

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
I lol'd. I just with the devs didn't have to be all nice and PC and instead have said it with a bit of "neener neener", if you follow, to point out their oversensitivity.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Dr. wonderful said:
To be fair, most christians I know could give less about video games.
Couldn't care less. No could. And while we're at it, not give, either. And now you know.
Bah, young escapist memebers and their damn hip grammar.

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
Blind77 said:
you could at least say that conservative Christians are at fault :/ Not all Christians are evil. I am lead to believe the Swiss are INCREDIBLY conservative, due to their policies on race, but I imagine a conservative police group is even more so.

(please do not hate on me, for I am fueled on tequila and beer tonight :/ )

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Dr. wonderful said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Dr. wonderful said:
To be fair, most christians I know could give less about video games.
Couldn't care less. No could. And while we're at it, not give, either. And now you know.
Bah, young escapist memebers and their damn hip grammar.
It's not grammar though. "Couldn't" care less means you are at the lowest possible level of caring - you can't care any less than you do because you don't care at all. Could care less means you care at least a little bit, since you have room to care less, and... what sense does that make? Any percentage from 1% to 100% caring could be given, and you'd still be able to truthfully claim that you "can" care less.

...it ain't hip at all it's just pure logic. "Could care less" just doesn't make any sense.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I think there needs to be some ruling that when you are responding to a thread about some group of nutbags doing some entirely nutbaggy thing, you should refer to them as 'that group of Christian nutbags' or even better, a 'bunch of fucking nutbags making Christians look bad', making sure you're at least accepting they are nutbags and not just some of the wider group of regular, not insane moderate Christians.

Same goes for Muslims, gays, COD players, Wii owners, and Prius drivers.

After all, wouldn't that make the news easier to handle? 'In Kansas today, a religious nutbag made Muslims look bad by having a beard and blowing himself up in a car, fortunately only his own life was wasted by his own dumbass action, however he has caused mild traffic delays, so I'd avoid Downtown Topeka for the next few hours. Now here's Jim with the weather!'

By all means carry on lumping all Mail readers in the same loony group however, as I've found regular exposure does seem to lead to early onset dementia, and I've never met a Mail reader who isn't wrong in the brain.