Update: The Escapist Needs Newsies!

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Monoochrom said:
...an extremely talented, insightful writer...
I'm sorry but that is not how I would describe the abilities of the news writers here.

Also, considering how about a year ago you couldn't pay contributers yet now suddenly have cash for a expo I can't help but wonder if I would actually ever see any cash.
Pretty much this. Escapist has always been shady, but the current course of events has fraud written all over it.

=y

May 11, 2012
Work for the Escapist? Well, I'll still be your janitor if you want me. I'm here too often to write for the mag. Besides, what do I know? :p

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
This is actually perfect timing for me. I'm between terms at my university at the moment, and could use a part time job. Considering how I spend my free time, I couldn't imagine a better Summer job -- especially since very few places are hiring in my area.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
*Chews gum*
*Reads article*

Yeah, alright.

No, in all seriousness. I don't consider myself a master journalist. Heck, I'm not even studying for that. But I've always liked writing and reading and talking about stuff that most people wouldn't care about but I still take the time to type somewhere because I think my ideas might be insightful to someone out there even if they aren't.

Plus, I'd love to work for The Escapist.

*SHRUGS*

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Monoochrom said:
As smart as you seem to think you are, you and Grey have done nothing but prove my point.

"What? Someone is critisizing us? Better leave a snarky comment because that is the pinnacle of professionalism."

So, yes, obviously you aren't interested in Feedback if that is how you react to it. Neither of you came to the conclussion to ask WHY I wouldn't describe any of you as insightful or talented writers. Go ahead and point out what errors I might have in my Forum post (because I really have alot of reason to pay attention to that, huh?), I'm not asking for money for it or that anyone consider it professional level writing.

In other words, thank you for not only proving my point, but also for making a fool of yourself in the process.
You're right. Antagonizing you was both unprofessional childish, and I apologize for it. I'm sorry that I've written articles that you haven't found up to snuff, but I will do my best to keep honing my skills. If you find errors in my articles, please point them out, and I will endeavor to correct them.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
Maybe next year guys?
17 years of age as it stands, and I have a silly amount of A2 exams to do soon.
Good luck to everyone who enters though!

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Wish I had the time to devote to something like this! I feel like I could complete the introductory task, but I couldn't be sure about consistently delivering afterward given my schedule.

I hope the search finds you some good folks!

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Monoochrom said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Monoochrom said:
In short, you could all do better. Obviously you aren't interested in that, so atleast don't give yourselves too much credit.
By all means, throw your hat in the ring and tell us how to do our jobs better. My tip would be to put a space between "at" and "least." You may also consider a comma after "obviously." Good luck!

Oh, and please continue to tell us what we think, and what we are interested in. That's charming.
As smart as you seem to think you are, you and Grey have done nothing but prove my point.

"What? Someone is critisizing us? Better leave a snarky comment because that is the pinnacle of professionalism."

So, yes, obviously you aren't interested in Feedback if that is how you react to it. Neither of you came to the conclussion to ask WHY I wouldn't describe any of you as insightful or talented writers. Go ahead and point out what errors I might have in my Forum post (because I really have alot of reason to pay attention to that, huh?), I'm not asking for money for it or that anyone consider it professional level writing.

In other words, thank you for not only proving my point, but also for making a fool of yourself in the process.
Not to sound like an ass, but if you wanna be the better guy, why just not drop it? it's clear you disagree strongly with the way things are run around here. So why be here and why add fuel to this fire? It's really not making a difference; those who want to apply will apply (Like me) and those who share your point of view already left. Just check the past posts.

I don't know. That's just what I do when I see someone posting something I disagree with. I either wiggle my finger and move on because I couldn't care less or...I just ignore it. Because I couldn't care less. But I just don't see what you're expecting out of this. An apology? A change-of-ways from them? A removal of this thread? A pat on the shoulder? Or you're just sharing your opinion? Because if that's it, you made your point a couple of posts back. I really don't know.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Huh. I think I will give this a shot. Worse that can happen is that I don't hear anything I guess... *laughs*

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Monoochrom said:
Not to butt in, but... well, yeah, actually, butting in here:

Seems to me you're not interested in providing "feedback" to either of these guys -- at least not in any useful way. What you've provided is an insult (or at best a "complaint"). Yet then you feign surprise when they don't immediately rush to find out the justification behind your feelings?

You didn't present what they can do better, or even any specific grievance you have with how they do things now. You just said what basically amounts to, "You're not very good," and then make a pretty ballsy assumption about the inner financial workings of the publication itself.

You know what that sounds like from the outside? NOT the start of a "conversation," that's for sure. It sounds like someone who already thinks they know it all, and they're gonna tell you how it is... and that isn't much fun. That's, you know, the kind of person that doesn't really pay much attention to feedback...?

If I had some tips on how you could optimize your living room furniture arrangement, I could say, "Hey, here are some tips I have to blah blah blah." Uninvited? Sure. A little rude? Eh, "presuming" might be a better word. But it could start a conversation that leads to a productive conclusion.

Now, if I stomp into your living room uninvited and throw one of your chairs across the room and say, "This place sucks," how likely do you think we are to have a conversation? No matter how good my advice would have been, you're going to deal with my prickishness first -- because that's what I led with. I did not begin from a place of helpfulness, or with any manners whatsoever.

Just some, y'know, "feedback." Please consider.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Monoochrom said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Monoochrom said:
In short, you could all do better. Obviously you aren't interested in that, so atleast don't give yourselves too much credit.
By all means, throw your hat in the ring and tell us how to do our jobs better. My tip would be to put a space between "at" and "least." You may also consider a comma after "obviously." Good luck!

Oh, and please continue to tell us what we think, and what we are interested in. That's charming.

Your initial comment wasn't criticism, it was just snark. There's a common fallacy that "professionalism" means turning the other cheek to insults and unjust criticism. My job is to inform and occasionally entertain you, not act as your personal punching bag.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Oh gosh darn why did I have to land an editor position on a small time site before hearing about this. Would it a breach of loyalty to apply anyhow?

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Monoochrom said:
...an extremely talented, insightful writer...
I'm sorry but that is not how I would describe the abilities of the news writers here.
I agree completely. He forgot to add "handsome" and "charismatic." Way to let the side down, Mike.
YOU!

That's right, now I remember why I wanted more people on the news team. Unbiased, un-self-satisfied news-bringing. More people capable of bringing the facts and stories that interest the Escapist community as a WHOLE, in as much of an unbiased fashion as possible.

I'll consider it, but while I have the time, I don't think I have the skill. I guess I hold creating public opinion to be more sacred than others do...
I can think of a few people I know who might be interested in this. I'll send them the information and hopefully, whoever we get, they'll be what
we've all been hoping for.