UPDATE: Try Yahtzee Croshaw's New Game Consuming Shadow

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
UPDATE: Try Yahtzee Croshaw's New Game Consuming Shadow

[http://fullyramblomatic.com/conshadow/]

Try not to go mad and shoot yourself. This is important.

With trembling fingers, your character unearths the next piece in the puzzle, the one that might just save us all from something worse than damnation. But is it the right one? After all, you don't really know which of the three unspeakable entities is about to appear at Stonehenge, and if you perform the wrong ritual ... well, some things are best not spoken of. What fiendish brain could devise this Consuming World?

Well, that would be Yahtzee Croshaw, he of imps and Jam. Yahtzee's put together a Lovecraftian freeware roguelike, inspired by Arkham Horror, that he'd like you to beta test. The Consuming Shadow asks you to deduce which God is about to destroy us all, and stop it before it starts. As it's a roguelike, everything changes each time you go in, so every playthrough should be a new experience. But that also means that each playthrough features a different God, so if your Sanity drops through the floor and you put a bullet in your head, the identity of the entity changes. All those carefully gathered clues, wasted!

Click here to read Yahtzee's description and download The Consuming Shadow. [http://fullyramblomatic.com/conshadow/]

At least there's an experience system working in your favor. You can carry experience over into your next existence, so if you die you should be able to upgrade your next character. It may only be a slight advantage, but it's better than nothing.

Now, it's time to seek out the local leader of the minions of the Shadow. A few hollow points should deal with it, and then maybe, just maybe, you'll find that missing piece you've been looking for.

Keep in mind, this is a beta and Mr. Croshaw is interested in feedback to improve Consuming Shadow. Follow the instructions on his page here to submit this glorious feedback. [http://fullyramblomatic.com/conshadow/] "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" doesn't count as feedback, just so you know.

Update: Changes! All change please. Thanks to your feedback, there's now a new version. "I've been made aware of a bug that causes crashes to desktop, so I've made a version 1.0.0.1 that fixes that and a few other issues," says Yahtzee. The update "also adds keyboard controls, which was by far and away the most requested feature."

The new, shiny version [http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/sites/escapistmagazine/games/yahtzee/consuming_shadow_beta_1.0.0.2.zip].

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I'm so used to him as a snarky gaming critic, I sometimes forget that he does programming on the side. I forget the name of it, but I remember really liking that side-scrolling stealth 'em up he did a while back. I'd call it a Mark of the Ninja clone if it weren't for the fact that it came first. I'll have to check this one out.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I'm so used to him as a snarky gaming critic, I sometimes forget that he does programming on the side. I forget the name of it, but I remember really liking that side-scrolling stealth 'em up he did a while back. I'd call it a Mark of the Ninja clone if it weren't for the fact that it came first. I'll have to check this one out.
[small]Trilby Art of Theft[/small]

Perhaps, I might check this out once the christmas holiday doldrums set in.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I can't wait to give it a scathing review based purely on the fact he didn't like a game I really liked and I'm jealous of his success and Charlie Brooker meets Douglas Adams sense of humou-

I mean SURE! I'll test the betas or whatever...

CTYR

Mar 25, 2012
YES~!
I am absolutely delighted to be someone to help the development of any game; especially one made by our dearly beloved Mr. Croshaw.
If I can help, I'll be itching to take a look at the story as well as find as many of those nasty little bugs that may exist. That's one of the things I deplore the most in games, so to be able to find and help would be great.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Don't really know if it's my thing but I really do like the sanity effects. After doing the first dungeon-thing I decided to cast a bunch of spells to drain my sanity and results were fun. Not gonna say any spoilers but if you want a neat little mindfuck it's a good choice.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Sure, I might give this a go. I remember his Chzo-games fondly, even if they were very corny.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
It is really scary, so I'm going to leave this until the weekend when I can play during the day time.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I love Arkham Horror, it's one of my favourite board games.
Though I'm getting really tired of the term Roguelike being used for games that aren't really like Rogue in any way. Randomizing levels doesn't make it a roguelike.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
"The Consuming Shadow is a procedurally-generated horror adventure game with a Lovecraftian theme and gameplay inspired by such things as FTL: Faster Than Light, Eternal Darkness, and the board game Arkham Horror."

I'll beta test the hell out of this.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
hazabaza1 said:
Don't really know if it's my thing but I really do like the sanity effects. After doing the first dungeon-thing I decided to cast a bunch of spells to drain my sanity and results were fun. Not gonna say any spoilers but if you want a neat little mindfuck it's a good choice.
AH MAN, that sounds awesome. I love sanity in games when it works well with the game play. Loved Don't Starve when your sanity drops too low and all kinds of hallucinations and strange sounds started happening.

Lono Shrugged said:
I can't wait to give it a scathing review based purely on the fact he didn't like a game I really liked and I'm jealous of his success and Charlie Brooker meets Douglas Adams sense of humou-

I mean SURE! I'll test the betas or whatever...
Lol, well as long as you use your best British accent.

Jan 27, 2011
"The Consuming Shadow is a procedurally-generated horror adventure game with a Lovecraftian theme and gameplay inspired by such things as FTL: Faster Than Light, Eternal Darkness, and the board game Arkham Horror."
All of these are among my favourite things.

I'M IN! :D

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Finished
(sadly link to send mail to Yahtzee wasn't working, so I'll drop off my thoughts here)
1)Drugs are overpowered
After I found CircleOfDeath and HealingTouch spells and pumped myself full of drugs, last dungeon was walk in the park (just remember to heal'n'kill)
In such game being nearly invincible isn't exactly good thing
On the other hand I was wearing armor vest, stab proof jacket and arcane talisman
So maybe it was combination of preparations and luck :/

2)Ladder to summoning site is glitched- if you find it and leave the room, you won't be able to find it again. Only way to find ladder again is leaving last dungeon and re-entering it again (to reset it). Who knows, maybe it was done on purpose?

Other than that found no other issues with game. Definitely worth a try.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Lovecraftian theme and gameplay inspired by such things as FTL: Faster Than Light, Eternal Darkness, and the board game Arkham Horror
After one brief playthrough of this, and looking at the highlighted part of the quote, I wonder:

Does the game crash I got after my first "dungeon", when a scary looking humanoid spawned right next to me was a real crash, or was it intended?

Judging from the fact, I'm not sure if I want to start the game again, I'd say good job Yahtzee for creating a good (or rather creepy) atmosphere for this game (then again, I'm a scaredy-cat, I turned off Amnesia: The Dark Descent before the monster ever shown up for the first time).

Vorlayn

Jun 3, 2010
Yossarian1507 said:
Lovecraftian theme and gameplay inspired by such things as FTL: Faster Than Light, Eternal Darkness, and the board game Arkham Horror
After one brief playthrough of this, and looking at the highlighted part of the quote, I wonder:

Does the game crash I got after my first "dungeon", when a scary looking humanoid spawned right next to me was a real crash, or was it intended?

Judging from the fact, I'm not sure if I want to start the game again, I'd say good job Yahtzee for creating a good (or rather creepy) atmosphere for this game (then again, I'm a scaredy-cat, I turned off Amnesia: The Dark Descent before the monster ever shown up for the first time).
Had this crash too. Doubt it was intentional, looks more like a "lucky" coincidence to me.

Joel Bridge

Feb 26, 2012
How does one find spells in the game, do find incantation in one dungeons or do it through trial and error?

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Hmm. Interesting that Yahtzee is using randomly generated stuff, something he usually speaks out against. Will have a look when I am done with my night shift. Which is really boring by the way, someone tell me something entertaining. :|