UPDATE: Try Yahtzee Croshaw's New Game Consuming Shadow

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Joel Bridge said:
How does one find spells in the game, do find incantation in one dungeons or do it through trial and error?
You find them
At least I found all my spells

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Written by Yahtzee and inspired by Arkham Horror you say? I'm in.

AdagioBoognish said:
"The Consuming Shadow is a procedurally-generated horror adventure game with a Lovecraftian theme and gameplay inspired by such things as FTL: Faster Than Light, Eternal Darkness, and the board game Arkham Horror."

I'll beta test the hell out of this.
This.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Tried it out, didn't do it for me I'm afraid. I found it to be little more than a clunky flash game with very awkward combat mechanics.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
This game is unsettlingly good. I'm finding it just a little difficult to sleep after playing it.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Hmm...on the one hand, I don't tend to go for horror. On the other hand, I liked Eversion, I want to play Eternal Darkness, and I'm playing Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, so I'm not totally averse. And I loved Poacher, so I have faith in Yahtzee's abilities...

Cool, I'll give it a try.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Oh man I miss games like this. It's got that same charm that older games had, like text adventures with a GUI. Love trying to find the clues, which are more like pieces of riddles which you then need to think about. So far the only thing I want is the ability to unload my gun so I don't accidentally burn a clip at shadows.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Holy crap this is amazing.

It gives me a feel of Rogue Legacy to it too, with the investigator falling to his death or whatever, and then the next one is a little better off, but ends up failing too, then he shoots himself and the next one is better off and so on.

The amount of gameplay in this BETA is amazing. Random events, jobs, towns, dungeons, random dungeon things, encounters, you might say? It's just.... FUN. It's the kind of game you can sink hours into, and at the same time pick up and put down, with the whole investigator system. It's awesome.

Good job, Yahtzee.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Hmmm I can't seem to get the game to load. Has anyone had success running it on Windows 8?

I seems to stay on this loading type screen indefinitely.
After that the only thing the game responds to is pressing ESC to exit.

Anyone else experienced this?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Joel Bridge said:
How does one find spells in the game, do find incantation in one dungeons or do it through trial and error?
you can find spells through dungeon completion rewards, post dungeon completion rewards, completely random containers (containers at dead ends seem to be most likely candidates for info prizes), event rewards resulting in an info prize, and just casting at random (this is sort of a bad idea overall, but there are apparently messages for every single spell should you manage to actually discover it this way), which in the small, small chance you succeed, will also record the spell in your book for future use

for instance, i accidentally cast the unlock spell, and the message that popped up told me that i had managed to unlock everything in the area, including my own wallet, which is largely amusing to me, and perhaps doubtful that such a thing will happen again

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. I have done only three cities so far and died very soon after, but due to carry-overs it felt rather satisfying and fun.

Honestly, I am very impressed.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Okay, 2 questions:

1) My computer can't find a security certificate for this. Considering it's a new indie game, I shouldn't be surprised, but just in case, can people confirm they've had no problems with it? I'm paranoid as hell, and with my dissertation underway, I cannot be without a computer right now. The only alternative is working on one of the uni's computers, and my "fellow" students have seen to it that it is the very definition of "hostile work enviroment".

2) My computer also sucks, it's got intergrated graphics, which I'm told is almost useless for games, but it has been able to play a lot of stuff from GOG and even Torchlight 2 without major problems, so how high are the requirements on this? Judging by screenshots alone, I'd say it wasn't high, but graphics aren't the only thing determining requirements.

Knoxy

Aug 12, 2009
Does the game always crash when the creepy guy appears after you find a piece of the banishment ritual?

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
Does anyone have any idea how to kill the big gloopy monster that doesn't spew out insecty things, that just bubbles along? Shooting it seems to do pretty much nothing. I've yet to encounter it in a game where I've unlocked the mass death spell, so for all I know that might work.

Knoxy said:
Does the game always crash when the creepy guy appears after you find a piece of the banishment ritual?
It did for me.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Doclector said:
I can answer both, no security problems and it runs fine on my integrated graphics laptop.

As for the game, after playing it for around an hour it seems really interesting. I can't figure out how to use the rune/spell system though although it might just be because I haven't found one yet.

The game seems to crash <spoiler=Minor Mechanical Spoiler>when some of the low-sanity monsters spawn.

Jan 27, 2011
My gosh, the game is HARD! :eek:

I lose a teeny bit of sanity through an event that's not really my fault and suddenly I need to be WAY more careful or else I might die immediately. 0_0

I like!