Update: Xbox One To Take Cut With Every Pre-Owned Sale

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
smithy_2045 said:
I swear, gamer's are the most hysterically hypocritical "group" of people on the planet. Valve's Steam has given no used game support whatsoever for years. They're borderline always online, you have to rebuy games if you want them on your Steam account, and they definitely have the capability to record your every conversation in Steam friends.

So why is it that Valve are almost universally loved for the same general stuff as Microsoft are going to have in the Xbox1?
Well steam is different, the games are far cheaper to begin with if you dont buy them on day one, and they are digital so you should not expect to be able to trade them in that's why they are cheaper to begin with(something that EA and all the other on-line retailers need to understand). And once the game is installed and unlocked i don't need to be on-line.

On the other hand with the xbox one we have a physical disk so you should be able to do with it as you please.

What they should do is make the game cheaper to begin with say 5-10 pounds cheaper and then charge each live/Microsoft account 5-10 to unlock multilayer or an extra mission or something, but as usual microsoft want to have the best of both worlds charging a retarded amount for the game and take most of the profit of a used sale ( a used sale i may add that costs them nothing whatsoever as the game is already manufactured 100% profit ) You may say that they have to pay for servers and the likes but hear is the thing the person who purchased the game new paid for the server and that time on the servers can be passed onto the next person its not as if the first person is still playing is it.

It will all be down to the retailers to sort this out they have far more power over things than you think, the uninformed customer wont buy an xbox if nobody stocks them or gives them 1 small shelf in the store. ( this is also what happens to pc games, publishers moan that nobody buys pc games any more whist not stocking them, you cannot buy something if nobody stocks them.)

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
alj said:
smithy_2045 said:
I swear, gamer's are the most hysterically hypocritical "group" of people on the planet. Valve's Steam has given no used game support whatsoever for years. They're borderline always online, you have to rebuy games if you want them on your Steam account, and they definitely have the capability to record your every conversation in Steam friends.

So why is it that Valve are almost universally loved for the same general stuff as Microsoft are going to have in the Xbox1?
Well steam is different, the games are far cheaper to begin with if you dont buy them on day one, and they are digital so you should not expect to be able to trade them in that's why they are cheaper to begin with(something that EA and all the other on-line retailers need to understand). And once the game is installed and unlocked i don't need to be on-line.

On the other hand with the xbox one we have a physical disk so you should be able to do with it as you please.
Steam really isn't different.

You can buy a physical copy of a Steam game, say Portal 2, but it is nothing more than a delivery method, exactly like the Xbone.

So do you think you should be able to do what you want with a physical copy of a Steam game? As of now, you can't resell any Steam game.

People want to pretend that Microsoft hasn't followed in Steams footsteps here because people don't want to give up their love for Steam.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
WeepingAngels said:
alj said:
smithy_2045 said:

You can buy a physical copy of a Steam game, say Portal 2, but it is nothing more than a delivery method, exactly like the Xbone.

So do you think you should be able to do what you want with a physical copy of a Steam game? As of now, you can't resell any Steam game.

People want to pretend that Microsoft hasn't followed in Steams footsteps here because people don't want to give up their love for Steam.
You can't resell PC games in the first place. The used market on it was dead well before steam came around, and for good reason.

Now on many games you get two copies of the game to give a friend. Much cheaper than buying console games as well.

Microsoft isn't following steam, it following what it THINKS steam is without changing a damn thing.
I sold a few PC games to a local used game shop (Rock 30 Games) a few weeks ago. They took all the Sims 2 expansions as well as the main games, they also took Morrowind GOTY and Oblivion GOTY.

No, it's really just PC games that are tied to an account that can't be resold and THAT is what Microsoft is creating here for console games. For example, I can resell Morrowind and Oblivion but not Skyrim, you know why.

Yes, Steam has sales and Microsoft isn't likely to clone that but they have cloned the most important part, all your games will be tied to an account. Where Microsoft will control the used market, Steam doesn't allow one at all. Your loving support of Steam makes little sense unless you also support Microsoft's plan.

It's ok though, I understand that it's cool to love Valve so long live the double standard.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
WeepingAngels said:
Ultratwinkie said:
WeepingAngels said:
alj said:
smithy_2045 said:

You can't resell PC games in the first place. The used market on it was dead well before steam came around, and for good reason.

Now on many games you get two copies of the game to give a friend. Much cheaper than buying console games as well.

Microsoft isn't following steam, it following what it THINKS steam is without changing a damn thing.
I sold a few PC games to a local used game shop (Rock 30 Games) a few weeks ago. They took all the Sims 2 expansions as well as the main games, they also took Morrowind GOTY and Oblivion GOTY.

No, it's really just PC games that are tied to an account that can't be resold and THAT is what Microsoft is creating here for console games. For example, I can resell Morrowind and Oblivion but not Skyrim, you know why.

Yes, Steam has sales and Microsoft isn't likely to clone that but they have cloned the most important part, all your games will be tied to an account. Where Microsoft will control the used market, Steam doesn't allow one at all. Your loving support of Steam makes little sense unless you also support Microsoft's plan.

It's ok though, I understand that it's cool to love Valve so long live the double standard.
That used game store is run by idiots if they use the damn honor system. There is a reason many stores have no return policies on PC games, and no used PC games. Because PC gamers can easily image the game and sell the CD for profit. PC gaming isn't tied a to a CD like console gaming.
No honor system is needed for older games that aren't tied to accounts. All they have to check for is the product key. That's my point, once games are tied to accounts, you lose the right to resell them, that's how Steam is and that's how Xbone will be.

How can you not see this?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
WeepingAngels said:
Ultratwinkie said:
WeepingAngels said:
Ultratwinkie said:
WeepingAngels said:
alj said:
smithy_2045 said:

That used game store is run by idiots if they use the damn honor system. There is a reason many stores have no return policies on PC games, and no used PC games. Because PC gamers can easily image the game and sell the CD for profit. PC gaming isn't tied a to a CD like console gaming.
No honor system is needed for older games that aren't tied to accounts. All they have to check for is the product key. That's my point, once games are tied to accounts, you lose the right to resell them, that's how Steam is and that's how Xbone will be.

How can you not see imaging a game is a problem? tricking someone else into thinking you given up your right to a game through sale only to still keep it to yourself and still get money? Making someone pay for something you get for free and never actually lose?

It doesn't matter if "the cd code works," its a fucking shady practice that has no moral justification. Its the reason no return policies and no used game market exists.
First of all, I didn't make copies of the games I sold.

Am I really to understand that you oppose used PC games because they could be copied? If that's your attitude then you are too far out there for me.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
WeepingAngels said:
Ultratwinkie said:
WeepingAngels said:
Ultratwinkie said:
WeepingAngels said:
Ultratwinkie said:
WeepingAngels said:
alj said:
smithy_2045 said:

How can you not see imaging a game is a problem? tricking someone else into thinking you given up your right to a game through sale only to still keep it to yourself and still get money? Making someone pay for something you get for free and never actually lose?

It doesn't matter if "the cd code works," its a fucking shady practice that has no moral justification. Its the reason no return policies and no used game market exists.
First of all, I didn't make copies of the games I sold.

Am I really to understand that you oppose used PC games because they could be copied? If that's your attitude then you are too far out there for me.
When imaging a game is so fucking easy that a 12 year old boy can do it, anyone with even a novice knowledge can screw someone else over. Used PC games are very shady and has no safety net, and can easily fuck over consumers more so than steam ever can.

Since a 12 year old boy can dupe you into paying for a game he already copied, he is getting free money from an idiot who doesn't know any better. This is a basic trick, not going into the multitude of stuff people can do to you through the used game market.

In PC gaming, the "don't buy if seal is broken" saying applies. A used market is stupid and is just asking for trouble.
Look, I already said you were too extreme for me so I don't know what else to say. Well, I guess I could tell you to stop using the word "idiot", but that's up to you.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
alj said:
smithy_2045 said:

I bought Counter Strike: Source and The Orange Box retail. I owned the physical discs. Still locked to Steam.

Also, the need to be online for the Xbox1 is pretty similar to the need to be online for Steam. Steam's offline mode doesn't work particularly well, while the Xbox1 just requires to be connected once every 24 hours, the rest of the time it doesn't matter. Neither need to be online all the time, it's just easier if they are.

What they should do is make the game cheaper to begin with say 5-10 pounds cheaper and then charge each live/Microsoft account 5-10 to unlock multilayer or an extra mission or something, but as usual microsoft want to have the best of both worlds charging a retarded amount for the game and take most of the profit of a used sale ( a used sale i may add that costs them nothing whatsoever as the game is already manufactured 100% profit ) You may say that they have to pay for servers and the likes but hear is the thing the person who purchased the game new paid for the server and that time on the servers can be passed onto the next person its not as if the first person is still playing is it.

It will all be down to the retailers to sort this out they have far more power over things than you think, the uninformed customer wont buy an xbox if nobody stocks them or gives them 1 small shelf in the store. ( this is also what happens to pc games, publishers moan that nobody buys pc games any more whist not stocking them, you cannot buy something if nobody stocks them.)
Firstly, we know nothing of how Xbox1 games will be priced, either on release or in the months following release.
Secondly, game retailers will sell the Xbox1 and Xbox1 games so long as they can profit from it (almost 100% certain). Sure, they won't get as much profit as they might have on 360 games, but they'll still be making a decent cut. (New ames costing up to $110AU, for example)
Thirdly, the game retailers pretty consistently have a decent sized area dedicated to PC games, where there is no potential for resale. So there is precedent in stocking games that can't be resold used.

magicpokey

Jul 27, 2010
The problem most of us are having with the xbone is not that GameStop will take a hit. It's the whole ownership/liscensing issue. When we buy a game (new or used) we expect a disc that will work when we put it in a system. We own that game, we paid money for it. We didn't rent the game, we didn't liscence the right to play it, we BOUGHT THE GAME. If we want to let a buddy borrow the game so he can experience it like we did then we should be able to do that. We shouldn't have to go to a retailer and pay Microsoft for the privilege of letting a buddy borrow a game for the weekend.

If we have kids and they each have a gamer tag (My brother has three kids, each with different tags) we want them all to be able to play a game that we buy. We don't need to go to a store and beg Microsoft to transfer a game for us, nor do we want to buy multiple copies of games THAT WE ALREADY BOUGHT ONCE.

What if we wanted to get a game from gamefly, or blockbuster or redbox? You know, try a game before we spend $60 on it? The xbone kills those services completely.

No, there isn't a used game market on steam. That's because steam games are digital only (this is why they cost less). We don't buy Xbox arcade games with the expectation of loaning them to friends. But xbone games come on a disc, we shouldn't have to pay Microsoft AGAIN to let someone else try a game we own.

These policies are anti consumer and reek of Microsoft trying to grab as much money as they can before the industry collapses. A collapse that won't be anything but sped along with these policies.

Before you point out that some physical games require steam (mostly 1st party valve games) I don't agree with that. I think is crosses a line and I for one don't own any of those games.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
smithy_2045 said:

Because in x years when the Xbone dies off and they take the check-in servers offline, the market for it dies. You won't be able to play your own games nor could you try new ones you missed and so on.

As long as your PC meets the requirements to play the game, Steam will let you play.

The problem is that it's the worst of both worlds. It has the restrictions of Steam and the restrictions of console gaming with the positives of neither one down the line.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
This does not, Will not, Cannot work.

They need to feel deep regretful shame for having the obscene audacity to actually think they are entitled to even a single console unit sold, much less someone defiantly ignorant willingly jumping through such asinine economically destroying hoops to grant Microsoft measures of control over their PRODUCT AFTER the sale of the product that they can never be deserving of or entitled do on economic, ideological, or even legal grounds.

There is no way to provide credence and present legitimate rational reasoning for ANY consumer under any circumstance to reward this type of outright obscene behavior. Everyone who has even the most remote passing interest in gaming needs to agree to the only logical course of action to such economic warfare that is presented by the forth coming console generation and absolutely refuse to bow to any of these shenannigans until these atrocities are redacted and products that do not spit in the face of the customer, laws regarding consumer protections and the basic concept of how modern economics functions are presented in place of what is absolutely nothing short of a formal declaration of ecomonic warfare against all consumers in any free markets.

Captcha: Million dollars. Hrm, a fraction of the value and worth of ones rights? Perhaps. The amount these people feel they are entitled to from you simply to utilize the hardware they manufacture? Most likely if we do as we have been doing for the last 10-15 years doing nothing and screaming "Slippery slope" at any one who points to this type of wrong doing.

This is a smack in the face lesson for this generation to learn the age old wisdom that united we stand, but in this case much more importantly that divided we WILL fall, and those who would reward this for their own selfishness, complacency, that hurts themselves, hurts us all and would be indistinguishable from treasonous behavior to all but the most complicit eye.

The campaign to force public perception to accept a product as a subscription service MUST be stopped. There is no room left on the slope. The time is now to sink or swim.

meatshield

Mar 30, 2009
I have been a xbox only person for soooo many years. I buy most of my games used at gamestop, and have a firefly account. I do buy halos, CoD and fable type games brand new. I use gamestop alot cause well i can pay 10 dollars or so a month on a preorder and get the limited ed.
I will also grab a used copy of things that perk my intrust, but not enought to pay full price for. Also i have kids that like to play. Also heck ill grab alot of random games for 5 dollars or less. yes most are...... not worth beening a drink coaster. but i have found a few that me or my kids just love to play. I never would have tried them at 35 dollars.......

I dont want to do it but i am going to have to pick up a PS4... unless xbone changes this up before i get sick of my vast mountain of used xbox 360 games i have.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So, Microsoft has effectively killed its Used Games market without actually forbidding it.
I figured it'd be slain one way or another.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
This is so shitty on so many levels, why do you hate retailers so much Microsoft? are you trying to get rid of your low-income demographic? Also why is your cut so f'n high? And you can bet this won't result in cheaper games either. Not impressed MS.

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
Really MS? Really? Did you actually think ANYONE would go for this?[/quote]
Gorrath said:
StayCalmAndHateXbox said:
LoL why do people care if gamestop gets bent over on this deal? Its not like they havent been ripping people off for years themselves. Who buys used that much anyway?
I do, for one, but not from GameStop. I support a locally owned and operated game store. I don't buy all my games used, but I DO want to have that option, and I want that option to include my local game store. This policy may very well kill that mom and pop place I love so much, unless PS4 used sales keep them afloat. (The Wii U certainly isn't helping them yet)
I buy a fair number of used games. Probably 1 in 3 of my purchases have been used in the last 5 years. I have also traded in a large number of games to earn credit for new games. I don't like keeping a 'library' of games that I will never play again. I firmly believe that being able to buy cheaper, used games has been a catalyst for many people (myself included) to get into certain series and developers. I can't justify buying new games regularly, but having access to used games has meant that I've got into series such as Portal, Dead Space, Need for Speed, Dead Island and Mass Effect to name a few. I have subsequently purchased sequels and other games by particular developers, paying full price or using store credit for a new game. I have also done some business on EBay - selling my used games, and using those funds to buy new ones online where it's always cheaper.

So - I care if GameStop and others, including online retailers, get bent. Not because I have a love for any particular retailers, but because of the principle of free and open trade being smashed by MS and the precedent it sets. And the fact that I believe the current system/process works and is in the long run good for gaming. MS is trying to corner the market, controlling used games while also making a buck out of it. Another revenue stream, it hopes. Please for the love of everything holy and good in gaming may Sony not follow suit.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009

Microsoft, what the hell are you doing? Your decisions are just...they're absolutely baffling to me.

You can't actually find a way to sell your games and make them profitable by trying to be good, so instead you just try and bleed as much money and misery out of the consumers and out of retailers as you possibly can. Nice business model you have, there. You're acting like a bunch of mafia thugs extorting money out of as many people as you can because you know your territory is shrinking.

Everything new I hear about the Xbone just encourages me to want to support the PS4, even if it is flawed. I am fully prepared to admit that my choice of console for the next generation may be determined entirely by spite. I think that's a legitimate reason.