Update: Xbox One To Take Cut With Every Pre-Owned Sale

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Update: Xbox One To Take Cut With Every Pre-Owned Sale

Reports suggest the retailer's cut will be less than 10%.

The Xbox One reveal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7358-Xbox-One-out-of-Ten] left a lot of questions unanswered, among them what will happen to pre-owned game sales. Thanks to information let slip by retail sources we now know, among other things, why Xbox One will want to check in with home base every 24 hours; it's to see whether or not your account needs to be adjusted. If you opt to sell a game, you can only do it at Microsoft-approved retail outlets. Those outlets will have to agree to Microsoft's terms and conditions, and sign up to its cloud-based Azure system. It's Azure that manages the transaction, and tells the home office that you've handed in your title. The title gets wiped from your account at that point.

Retailers will get something less than 10% on each pre owned sale. The rest goes to Microsoft and the publisher. Prices quoted by MCV for pre-owned hover around the £35 mark, inclusive of the retailer's cut, so of that figure the retailer sees no more than £3.50. The £35 is the activation fee, so presumably that would be set in advance by Microsoft independently of conditions in the retail market. Stinker or classic, the price tag may be the same. When contacted by MCV, Microsoft was quick to say that "should you choose to play your game at your friend's house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile," but other than that was unwilling to discuss potential retail scenarios. It also leaves open the question of what happens if your friend wants to play your game on their profile. Or if three kids in the same house want to play the same game on their profiles.

Given this new information, it remains to be seen whether or not retailers will be eager to fall in line with Microsoft's philosophies. Having to sign up to Microsoft's conditions, using its system , only to get a less than 10% cut, isn't going to appeal to many retailers. It begs the question why anyone would ever want to sell an Xbone pre-owned title.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137]

Update:

There has been a clarification regarding the 10% sales cut issue:

The source revealed that game retailers will be forced to sell second hand games at just a 10% discount on the original RRP. This news will come as a shock to consumers who are currently used to purchasing trade-in games at up to 50% of the retail value.

Source: Console Deals [http://www.consoledeals.co.uk/blog/exclusive-xbox-one-second-hand-game-licenses-are-30-each-2201]

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Just keep right on digging your grave Microsoft. Im honestly looking forward to all this crashing and burning right in your faces.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Why is it that Microsoft seems to be the seagulls from Finding Nemo?
Used Sale money? MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE

Used Games? MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE

Actually wait that is just Microsoft in general with money.
Well wont be getting an XBone then.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Microsoft gambled that Sony would take the same anti-preowned stance this generation. That has to be it. There's no other reason why they would think this would work, except if retailers and consumers had nowhere to turn.

So, let's count... They've pissed off retailers, consumers, PC users... Do they honestly think TV and sports hounds will compensate for the massive install base bleedout they've set themselves up for?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
So the retailer get 10%? Yeah, say good bye to support from Gamestop, Microsoft. I'm glad I'm not interested in the Xbone because then this would have been depressing. Now I am saying that and I don't even like buying pre-owned games. I like it even less when a company screws over its customers though.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
They patch one foot and shoot the other. Seems that every step they take they look more like an ass. I doubt many gaming retailers will accept this, especially Cex, who are primarily reliant on second-hand sales.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I'm starting to feel dirty just for using windows 7...

I mean I would do everything in Linux Mint but... adobe, adobe and their picky ass shit.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
It seems like Microsoft it doing their damnedest to make me care less and less about it's next console.

And it's working...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Holy Shit.

If I were Gamestop, Amazon and Ebay, I'd have just barred the Xbone from sale, period.

That's impressively aggressive on MSoft's part, remains to be seen what the reaction is about to be.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Again, I'm seeing very little incentive to go out and buy one of these very expensive machines.

It's anti-consumer, it's anti-brick and mortar retail, it's anti-videogames.

I really just don't get that excited at the prospect of having the NFL IF I choose to move to America and...advanced Call of Duty fish AI one month early?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
omicron1 said:
Microsoft gambled that Sony would take the same anti-preowned stance this generation. That has to be it. There's no other reason why they would think this would work, except if retailers and consumers had nowhere to turn.
i think this is a reason but then they came out after the ps4 announcement, IF they had any sense they would have changed it. but no all theyve done is piss off retailers, piss of their consumer base, piss off their potential consumers and pissed of europe by having most of the presentation showing the xbox doing things that arnt avaliable out side of north America (some not outside the US even)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
omicron1 said:
My theory has always been that EA's "Things To Do To Piss Off Your Consumer Base" department helped co-develop the XBone. :p

OT: Unless it's a game that I absolutely KNOW that I want, I generally buy used. That's not because I'm cheap really, it's because for games that I'm on the fence about I like to wait a bit until I can gather enough word-of-mouth reviews from friends to decide if I want to buy the game. At that point, why not buy it used for a lower price?

Another question I'd have is what does this mean for rented games?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Drop_D-Bombshell said:
They patch one foot and shoot the other. Seems that every step they take they look more like an ass. I doubt many gaming retailers will accept this, especially Cex, who are primarily reliant on second-hand sales.
Aren't they totally reliant on used sales? I don't think I've ever seen anything new in there, though I've never really been interested in their game section.

Whilst I think it's a kind of shitty idea, at least the publishers are getting a cut of used sales rather than everything going to the retailers. But I expect that Microsoft will be taking the lion's share of every used sale. I'd rather spend the extra cash and get a game new. Not that I will be buying any Xbone games in the first place.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand- Gamestop doesn't even bother to stock it's shelves with your games. Your spot will instead be filled by used copies of 360 games.

Seriously, Microsoft, this is just insane.

Gylukios

The Red Comet
Dec 3, 2008
The insane thing is that I can actually see this kind of system working.

Most game buyers will never know this kind of a system is in place. If the people who want to and are allowed to sell a game or buy a used game, they will. They'll be mostly unaware of the retailer getting shafted in the process, but by and by large they won't care. They're spending less money on games.

I don't see every retailer just saying "no" to this system either. There is a market for used game sales. It is a thing people want. Even if the deal is far worse than it was before, all of the retailers won't say "no" because at least one of them will agree to it. And then that one outlet will control large market shares of that (let's say regional) used game market, and make money.

The only way it won't work is if the profit margin for retailers is so low that it would drive them all out of business losing money on every sale. But that won't happen either. Microsoft will either adjust the deal to allow retailers to make a little more money (so Microsoft will still make money off the sales too), or there will arise a retailer with a low-overhead operation that will be able to make the deal work for them.