Updated: Activision CEO Earned $64.9 Million in 2012

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
This is ridiculous. Some creepy looking suit that should keep his mouth shut cause he always says something stupid, makes this much money by doing what exactly? As in what is it that makes him deserve it? Even then it's still too much for anyone.

I swear, in a world where quality products makes more dough, Bobby here would be lucky enough to go to the cinemas once a week.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
You make the mistake of assuming investors have any connection with reality. It's all about appearances: "Look how much OUR CEO is paid. Aren't WE prestigious?"
I know, no grounds in reality at all.

The company is in bed with Blizzard for fuck's sake... and their revenue producing juggernaut World Of Warcraft.

How a company couldn't be in the black with that type of product on the market just boggles the mind.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I wonder how much EA's CEO will be paid this year?

Oh right, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I decided to look up and see if Activision had laid anyone off recently, and found this article: http://kotaku.com/5985409/activision-lays-off-about-30-people-saying-there-will-be-fewer-licensed-games-this-year

30 People were laid off already in 2013, although they were mainly paperpushing jobs, not developers. However this statement is very interesting:

Approximately, 30 full-time employees have been impacted globally, which represents approximately one half of one percent of Activision Blizzard's employee population.
So 30 is one half of a percent, 60 is one percent, making approximately 600 the employee population of Activision.
Abomination said:
At 80,000 a head you could hire 800 people on that salary.

How do these companies justify layoffs again?
His excessive salary could literally be used to double the number of employees in Activision at $84,000 per person, and still give him over 14 million a year.

Activision. Please fire this man and employ me, I can literally double your workforce without increasing expenses, and you'd only have to pay me a paltry 14 million a year. (That's less than the CEO of Walmart!) PM me if you're interested!

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Stuff likes this just makes me want to cry. No-one should have that much money, let alone this prick.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:

I decided to look up and see if Activision had laid anyone off recently, and found this article: http://kotaku.com/5985409/activision-lays-off-about-30-people-saying-there-will-be-fewer-licensed-games-this-year

30 People were laid off already in 2013, although they were mainly paperpushing jobs, not developers. However this statement is very interesting:

Approximately, 30 full-time employees have been impacted globally, which represents approximately one half of one percent of Activision Blizzard's employee population.
So 30 is one half of a percent, 60 is one percent, making approximately 600 the employee population of Activision.
Abomination said:
At 80,000 a head you could hire 800 people on that salary.

How do these companies justify layoffs again?
His excessive salary could literally be used to double the number of employees in Activision at $84,000 per person, and still give him over 14 million a year.

Activision. Please fire this man and employ me, I can literally double your workforce without increasing expenses, and you'd only have to pay me a paltry 14 million a year. (That's less than the CEO of Walmart!) PM me if you're interested!
While I agree with most of your points your math is a bit off. 60 is %10 if 600. 60 would be %1 of 6000.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
As far as I'm concerned he can keep all that money if he promises to stop smiling in pictures. That picture in the article is creeping me out *shudders*

On topic

I never like hearing about CEO's earning obscene amounts of money when the ordinary people in the company barely earn a fraction of that in their lifetime. Yay capitalism.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Zeren said:
While I agree with most of your points your math is a bit off. 60 is %10 if 600. 60 would be %1 of 6000.
Ah bollocks. I thought 600 was a little low. Guess there's a reason I'm not the CEO of a major corporation.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013

Actually he will be getting the same amount he was getting before he stepped down. As part of his severance package he gets two years of pay. Because even though he's gone he is still more valuable to EA than all those schmucks that used to make their games before being laid off for not being executives.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Do I think he's a competent CEO? Yes. Do I think he's overpaid? Of course. I love capitalism, and I'm all about CEO's making lots of money for their talents, but I don't think this man is worth that much. He got extremely lucky with Modern Warfare being developed under his roof and with all the right things coming together for the Blizzard deal. Should he reap sonme of the benefits? Yes, but not that much. There are people who can do his job a hell of a lot better.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Kotick doesn't deserve that much. He's terrible at just about all the requirements of his job. What the hell did he do to convince the board of directors to give him so many benefits instead of pumping the cash into game development? Hypnotize them?

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Imagine that your job never really stops. You don't have weekends, and going home to see your family doesn't mean jack. If you screw up, you cost hundreds of people their jobs and piss away the money you borrowed from hundreds more. Also, no one will ever hire you again. CEO salaries aren't that ridiculous when you factor that stuff in.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
And this is why I'm hoping for the game market to burn, die, and be reborn free of publishers.

Sadly, it's not going to happen until the console market completely embraces digital distribution, but at least it started moving in that direction. Even if it meant always online consoles, which it doesn't have to, it would be a small price to pay.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
IanDavis said:
Imagine that your job never really stops. You don't have weekends, and going home to see your family doesn't mean jack. If you screw up, you cost hundreds of people their jobs and piss away the money you borrowed from hundreds more. Also, no one will ever hire you again. CEO salaries aren't that ridiculous when you factor that stuff in.
I think you are the only person in this thread who is able to see the situation sensibly.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
...What the fuck does he spend it all on? Honestly, I'd feel lost with so much money, I'd be like a lvl 50 dragonborn in Skyrim, dafuk do I do with all this? Dump it in a room and roll in it?....Actually...

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
90sgamer said:
IanDavis said:
I think you are the only person in this thread who is able to see the situation sensibly.
That is a fair point, one I hadn't considered before. But it should be recognized that him working for that much in just one year means he can live relatively comfortably for damn near the rest of his life, I'd say that more than makes up for the downsides.

Captcha: yes_this is /dog/
Wtf?

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
No one should be able to earn that amount of money in their lifetime. It is ridiculous to propose that Mr. Kotick's skills and labour are really that much more valuable than the average employee. Surely he deserves a high salary that reflects his training, skillset and presumed dedication to the enterprise, but well over a 1000x the average US salary is just...really poor distribution of profits.

In comparison, the average neurosurgeon brings in $775,968 per year. So based on compensation, Mr. Kotick is worth about 100 brain surgeons....right that makes sense. I would argue it is far more difficult to find a competent brain surgeon than it is to find a competent CEO. I realize salary does not necessarily represent any sort of professional or societal value, but it does put things into some perspective.

It is even more ridiculous that the company can justify laying off productive employees while also paying their executives such ridiculous salaries.

Capitalism, much like Communism, sounds good on paper but never really works as it was supposed to (with significantly less dire consequences although the developing world might argue otherwise). I doubt Adam Smith would be terribly impressed with the state of modern "capitalism". Concentrating wealth to that degree will only harm our democracy and way of life, while also needlessly forcing the average citizen to make do with inferior public services and lower wages.